Ebay tat

GrumpyCat

My missus had a Riva estate for a banger rally in 2004 (where we met actually) and it was utter shit. Less than 40k on the clock but the steering linkages were shot, the steering box was knackered, the front wings were made of parcel tape and paint, the prop shaft vibrated, the heater was jammed on...It was the only car on the rally to make it to the end with no problems whatsoever.

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-LADA-RIVA-1- ... 0383049300

Why do so many of these have less than 30k miles - is it the old giffer owner profile, or just because they're appalling to drive?

As someone who has driven one I can assure you it's defo the latter.
May I correct you all...

Most Ladas were bought by blind old men who wanted to tinker, but couldnt even manage to top the water up without spilling it, and fell into disrepair. Find a one that has been looked after, and if you ignore the plastic bits falling off, will go forever! Mine had been cherished (until I go my hands on it), and was spot on.

In other words.... Don't diss the Ladas!

WTF? It says that Transits got an all GRP body apart from the front end. Never seen one like that before! Guess that's why it looks so solid.

Sounds like bollocks to me, GRP bodies for the MOD only? WTF? Guess Fred will have the final say on this though.
Tis the stuff of legend, I never saw one myself before this was on the last time (seem it's now been robbed of it's V4 and auto). Legend has it it was made for the bomb squad during the IRA era, something to do with the large amount of metal present in a normal transit set off the unstable IRA bombs.

Guest greenvanman

May I correct you all...

No, you may not. Vague steering, shit brakes, appalling handling and a gutless engine married to an overly heavy and completely unreliable lump of Soviet iron all result in piss-poor fuel consumption and a thoroughly miserable driving experience. Try driving one on a motorway - the 1500 I drove had only 4 gears and was screaming its nuts off at 60mph. They rusted like buggery too. Of course they're weapons-grade Autoshite now, but let's not re-write history by suggesting that they were actually any good.