Ebay tat

GrumpyCat

For a while I had a 99 of the same vintage (was a 2-litre though). I've painful memories of what an arse-ache it was to replace the water pump.Trailing/locating arms on the rear beam axle seemed to be made of paper thin steel and were pretty pited so I replaced them too.The 'lobster' (? I think) thingy that holds the ignition barrel and gearleaver locking device got all kind of locked up and bust.Body steel was good and solid though - only had to do two or three welded repairs.Then the heater matrix sprung about eighty leaks and I gave up on it as a bad lot.Had it been the earlier stainless-stell bumpered car I would probably have held onto it for longer, but those rubber bumpers really spoil the look.

For a while I had a 99 of the same vintage (was a 2-litre though). I've painful memories of what an arse-ache it was to replace the water pump.Trailing/locating arms on the rear beam axle seemed to be made of paper thin steel and were pretty pited so I replaced them too.The 'lobster' (? I think) thingy that holds the ignition barrel and gearleaver locking device got all kind of locked up and bust.Body steel was good and solid though - only had to do two or three welded repairs.Then the heater matrix sprung about eighty leaks and I gave up on it as a bad lot.Had it been the earlier stainless-stell bumpered car I would probably have held onto it for longer, but those rubber bumpers really spoil the look.

I had a chrome-bumpered 99 on a J plate with the 1854cc engine. That was similar - body was mostly rock solid but rear trailing arms needed some love. It ran great and the heater was good but I could not get the fugging brakes to stop seizing on every time I used them and, Saab being Saab, all the brake parts were completely different to 2-litre 99s and therefore more or less unobtainable. In the end I reluctantly sold it. It was the original Autocar road test car too.

I do too,there used to be an Amazon estate panelled in the same way round here a few years back.It also was very low,with Moon Discs & the front grille modified to look like something from the '50s.The 245 reminds me of those Opel Rekord vans too.

Advert says the Saab has the 1850 Triumph engine. Didn't Saab make their own engines?

Not back then they didn't. The only engine Saab have ever designed completely from scratch was the little two-stroke in the 92-96. The later 96's used a Ford Cologne V4,
the Saab V4 was based on the British V4 Essex not the German Colonge unit, totally different engines :?

the Saab V4 was based on the British V4 Essex not the German Colonge unit, totally different engines :?

Are you sure? The 96 engine was borrowed from the Taunus 12M - I always assumed that would have had a Cologne unit. Plus the 2.3 Cologne V6 is more or less a straight drop in conversion on a 96 - the 2.5 Essex is a lot more awkward. I could be wrong though.

I think you could bolt a Stag V8 or a Sprint engine into an 1854 SAAB 99. It would kill the gearbox within the hour but it would be fun while it lasted.

There's at least one early 900 running a Stag V8 - think it uses an early 900 Turbo gearbox (4-speed) and I seem to recall there was a bit of buggering about with mounting holes to get the two to marry up as they're not quite the same as an early 99 'box. Bet it sounds nice though, between bouts of cooking itself. The early 99 gearboxes weren't all that weak though (at least the 1854cc ones weren't - the 1709s had a freewheel which probably wouldn't have coped too well with a V8's torque) - it's the 96 boxes that tend to implode if you try to put more power through them.

Are you sure? The 96 engine was borrowed from the Taunus 12M - I always assumed that would have had a Cologne unit. Plus the 2.3 Cologne V6 is more or less a straight drop in conversion on a 96 - the 2.5 Essex is a lot more awkward. I could be wrong though.
Yes, its definitly the German engine in the Saabs. Here's the one I had.

Posted Image

99.9% certaian, I'll dig a pic out tomorrow to confirm :D If your right I'll grovel profusley.............. :?

Yes, its definitly the German engine in the Saabs. Here's the one I had.

Posted Image

Well Bugger me, I've always thought it was the Essex V4, looks like its humble pie eating time coming up :oops:

Polo Q+A:

m8 im a mechanic the idlein is easy jus spray carb cleaber in to carb whilst revin it and idles sweet after

Would a 97 Polo still be carb-fed?

"Yeah M8 fixd it wiv WD40 innit. That'll be £200 pleez."

No. My base-model 1992 model was Singlepoint injection, a 97 Mk4 will definately not be carbed.

Pretty sure everything with a cat will be injected to provide accurate emissions control.

Hey this is a bit spesh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-Benz-450-SEL-Auto_W0QQitemZ290287825242

gold doorhandles, a vile bodykit and metallic brown paint! OIL BARON SHITE

Drool... Dream motor that, and only 5 miles away.

Got the space, can probably find the money, but my wife (lovely as she is) would have a fit if I bought yet another Merc big-body... :roll:

Pretty sure everything with a cat will be injected to provide accurate emissions control.

I fink Ladas and Minis from around 1992 still had carbs, not sure how a choke would affect the cat?!And of course all sorts of American stuff from the 70s had carbs and cats, GR8 for reducing 8mpg to 6mpg 8)

I fink Ladas and Minis from around 1992 still had carbs, not sure how a choke would affect the cat?!And of course all sorts of American stuff from the 70s had carbs and cats, GR8 for reducing 8mpg to 6mpg 8)
My Innocenti is a '93 and that's carburettored. I'm a little worried about the emissions test come MoT time.