Ebay tat

GrumpyCat

Hey I like MG Metros, I think it's a shame that some half-decent ones get their engines robbed to go in Isopon-filled Minis. It's a bit like buying a delicious roast beef sandwich, chucking out the freshly-baked cob and putting the meat into a Nisa bread roll.

HELLO AUTOSHITE Q BRANCH?

Posted Image

PIPE, SLIPPERS & TURBOT

I actually test drove one of these a couple of years back and was rather underwhelmed by the performance - it didn't feel nearly as quick as 200bhp in a car that size should feel. My 185bhp Saab 9000 felt quicker. They're still a great deal faster than they look though, so they're still a pretty good sleeper.

Ooooh!

Why are these still attracting hefty 'scene tax'? And why on earth did I sell mine for a pittance just before the prices went mad.

Seller called 'hotrod', wonder what his plans were...!

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1980-COLT-HATCHBACK-RED_W0QQitemZ170276405108

Well my plans are to enjoy some reliable two-pedal motoring this winter. I think this might replace the Renner Five, which I don't want to risk ruining by running through the winter.
Way-hey, we could be "Colt-buddies".......!

:P:lol:

Actually, that gives me some good bargaining power on the price of the green one too. :wink:

Tellyou what it is, I think that Doctor feller is a real expert polisher. He obvioulsy starts off with excellent examples of cars, but even with one elderly owner from new and so on you never find cars with such shiny inner wheelarches and engine bays and so on. He has clearly mastered the art of prepping these things so they look genuinely showroom. Nowt wrong with that of course, he's only making best use of these mint cars. But look, he's selling a B11 sunny saloon with some old MOT's and a few bills, not a full history, and a couple of plates welded on the inner arches, for getting on for £2000. The mileage is low at 33k, but thats not front-page-headline low, and is not guaranteed by a complete history (although Im sure in reality its correct). I have pulled cars out of scrapyards in the past with those credentials, but i've never made them look as smart as he does, and hence i've never got anything like that sort of money for them. Fair play to him like, I wish i had his beautification skills.

Tellyou what it is, I think that Doctor feller is a real expert polisher. He obvioulsy starts off with excellent examples of cars, but even with one elderly owner from new and so on you never find cars with such shiny inner wheelarches and engine bays and so on. He has clearly mastered the art of prepping these things so they look genuinely showroom. Nowt wrong with that of course, he's only making best use of these mint cars. But look, he's selling a B11 sunny saloon with some old MOT's and a few bills, not a full history, and a couple of plates welded on the inner arches, for getting on for £2000. The mileage is low at 33k, but thats not front-page-headline low, and is not guaranteed by a complete history (although Im sure in reality its correct). I have pulled cars out of scrapyards in the past with those credentials, but i've never made them look as smart as he does, and hence i've never got anything like that sort of money for them. Fair play to him like, I wish i had his beautification skills.

You do my welding and I'll do your beautifying! That's one thing I am good at! :wink:

You're right Mr B, but this fella has multiple skills. As you so rightly say he seems to get the cars gleaming as if new, but his photography skills should not be dismissed. To get a car looking that good in a photo takes skill in itself, and I am slightly envious. I think his ads are a bit wordy, but once you've got a fairly unique car, presented like that, with those photos, well it's no wonder you can make that sort of money. Ans as Richard rightly points out it's very much about time and patience. Me, I just love looking at his ads. They're a lesson in doing everything right on ebay when so many do it wrong. Good luck to him.

Fair play to him like, I wish i had his beautification skills.

I've been checking out his stuff with interest - I love reading up on people minting up old cars with polish and the likes, probably because it's more about effort and skill than money spent. The main thing that sets people like him apart is attention to detail, e.g.....

Posted Image

The big thing here is that he's clearly taken time out to polish and wax the sills and door jambs, which for a short job can make a hell of a lot of difference on a photo like this.

Posted Image

Note the shiny hoses - probably just WD40 and a rag, but on a 20 year old engine bay what a difference it makes!

Posted Image

Not as much to do on interiors, but check out the absence of any floor mats, crap air fresheners, stickers, etc. It's noted in the ad that the floormats exist, but because they probably don't look perfect, they've been whipped out temporarily for photos, revealing the mint condition carpets.

I think it's really great what he does, as mentioned his photography skills help inspire confidence in the cars too. I'm hoping to get the Galant into a similar state of mintness before it returns to the road, let's see if I can come anywhere close!