The end of shite!

Guest Hooli

Old school diesel with bosch pump ftw then, old veg oil will always be available given our addiction to takeaway...

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

sssssshhhhh everyone will be buying up old shonky Peugeots & Citroens. Although how much fun would this be in a Nissan leaf!     

Having owned a leaf for two years (or at least paid for it, pcp yo) they are the future, will it be a 2040 future? I'm not sure, Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.   

​Investment is needed to carry this plan off and all manufactures getting together and deciding on one style of charging connector and AC or DC

...​Investment is needed to carry this plan off and all manufactures getting together and deciding on one style of charging connector and AC or DC

Yeah, that'll go well, bet they choose the wrong solution. LEDs need dc current, for house hold lighting the power comes in high voltage DC from the power station to the substation where it is converted to AC, then has to be converted back to DC in every lightbulb. I haven't seen them building new houses with a DC circuit.

Im just not interested in this in the slightest, because:

1. I WANT to own my own car, cars are not a transport tool for me, they are a hobby, an interest, the idea of just jumping in any car lying about wherever and using it to go wherever you want to like in Paris sounds absolutely awful. 

2. Im not interested in electric cars until they can do 350-400 miles on a charge, so you dont need to worry about them running out of power or stopping too charge every so often, thats like trying to drive from Glasgow to London and only sticking in £5 of fuel and doing the same everytime it gets low, fuck that, what a ballache that would be.

3. As much as autos are loved on here, I absolutely detest the fact that hybrids, EVs and stuff cant be had with manual gearboxes, another choice taken away from us. 

4. They mostly look wacky and ugly and not very stylish in my eyes, things like Prius, Leaf, Zoe, nah GTF with that.

5. The cost, even with an £8k grant, these cars are £25k plus, how the fuck are people on low incomes expected to afford the bloody things. 

Guest Hooli

I assume that since you use the word "stupidity" you have a better plan to solve the air pollution and climate change issue?

Climate change is imaginary as far as CO2 goes, there is no proof in the fossil record of higher CO2 causing a rise in temps. Despite what they claim the record shows it the other way around.

As for air quality etc, try doing something about open cast mining, deforestation etc etc - you know that stuff that really affects the environment.

What the world needs currently is a two stroke diesel in a Prius, with a 9v battery on the parcel shelf doing a rolling burnout at a green car rally.   :D

While I unfortunately cannot offer you a 2-stroke Prius, how about one powered by V-Twin engine from a Harley Davidson?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-heaps-in-the-heart-of-texas-inspections-a-harley-powered-prius-and-some-other-stuff-we-didnt-really-notice/

Toyohog-Prius-Harley-Davidson-Engine-626

Regarding the ICE ban in 2040. I really don't see that as a problem. Not only is this the earliest date a ban would come in effect at this time, it would only include new cars anyway. I'm fairly sure there will be plenty of great cars still coming out over the next 20 years to keep my busy for a long time.

Regarding the feasibility: Why would infrastructure or range be a problem? I'm fairly sure there's barely a gas station left in this country thats much older than 25 years without a major reconstruction. Providing a charger network even in the most remote areas of the UK is a piece of cake compared to most other countries. And believing that battery technology won't develop enough over the next decade, especially now when the electric car game is heating up, really isn't very smart imo. 

Is hydrogen being ignored completely now? Is it just not viable?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Hydrogen blows goats; it needs cryogenic storage and the energy density is cack so your petrol fuel tank has just expanded 300%/range has just shrunk by 60%. Battery tech has been getting better but I still think some form of powercell is a more likely longterm bet, assuming there isn't just a move sideways to synthetic liquid fuels(dimethyl ether or maybe ammonia) in ICE. Battery is never going to cut it for heavy transport, except perhaps urban buses, and once the tech is perfected it will migrate to cars.

Necessity is the mother of invention so I am pretty confident that someone will come up with a battery pack capable of lasting 500 miles after an hours charge in the next 20 years.

I am sure we will miss petrol and diesel but when we learn to reprogramme and overclock our electric motors, people will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

In the meantime, We'll still be in a shed somewhere frantically scouring the net for a Renault Zoe wing or a door card for a Leaf while our neighbours complain our shitty old cars. And with all the advanced electronics on board there will be plenty for us to be getting on with!

I think hydraulic brakes will still be used, manual or auto gearboxes maybe, steering racks and suspension won't be far advanced from what we have now. Yeah, plenty to go wrong and keep us busy at the weekends. And how many of us will really miss hacksawing off a seized exhaust? I certainly won't.

Hybrids rarely wear the brakes out either with regenerative braking. That's why all the cabbies use Priuses, they'll run to 3-400k without any bother. No clutch to wear out either. Simple small petrol engine, brushless motors.

If I was taxi driving I'd have one. I agree they look stupid but eventually they'll do the hybrid on 'normal' cars. I think the Mondeo has a hybrid 2.0 petrol.

Hybrids rarely wear the brakes out either with regenerative braking. That's why all the cabbies use Priuses, they'll run to 3-400k without any bother. No clutch to wear out either. Simple small petrol engine, brushless motors.

If I was taxi driving I'd have one. I agree they look stupid but eventually they'll do the hybrid on 'normal' cars. I think the Mondeo has a hybrid 2.0 petrol.

Theres an electric Focus im sure, plus the eGolf, and as you said the hybrid Mondeo but due to the crazy prices just now they arent really catching on. 

Maybe Volvo will lead the way with their claim about no diesel/petrol cars in the range by 2020 or whatever it was the other week. 

How many more runways does the country have to store 30-40 million,cars,vans,trucks,buses,tractors.Anything with a petrol/diesel engine?

I've not seen anything about a scrappage scheme. Petrol and diesel cars will just naturally disappear over time.

Cost of making then will come down. There's no chance of their being cars sat in the street waiting for you to hop in. The cost of doing that would be monumental.

They already do this in Nottingham, and many other cities.

You pay an annual fee, and then you walk up to a car and unlock it with your phone. You then leave it in any of their reserved parking zones and end your rental, which locks the car. You're charged by the hour.

It's £25 a year, or free if you live in the city.

Im just not interested in this in the slightest, because:

1. I WANT to own my own car, cars are not a transport tool for me, they are a hobby, an interest, the idea of just jumping in any car lying about wherever and using it to go wherever you want to like in Paris sounds absolutely awful.

2. Im not interested in electric cars until they can do 350-400 miles on a charge, so you dont need to worry about them running out of power or stopping too charge every so often, thats like trying to drive from Glasgow to London and only sticking in £5 of fuel and doing the same everytime it gets low, fuck that, what a ballache that would be.

3. As much as autos are loved on here, I absolutely detest the fact that hybrids, EVs and stuff cant be had with manual gearboxes, another choice taken away from us.

4. They mostly look wacky and ugly and not very stylish in my eyes, things like Prius, Leaf, Zoe, nah GTF with that.

5. The cost, even with an £8k grant, these cars are £25k plus, how the fuck are people on low incomes expected to afford the bloody things.

1. You'll still be able to. Nobody is banning cars with engines that you can own, you'll still be able to buy fuel.

2. In twenty three years time, if you can't buy a 400 mile electric car I will eat my own underpants. Print this page and come back to me in 2040. It's unthinkable that we've come from nothing to 200 miles in about ten years and won't better that.

3. You don't need a gearbox, I'm not sure what you'd use one for if you had it. Electric cars develop max torque from standstill, ramming through five cogs isn't necessary.

4. More choice when more people buy them, but I suspect your complaint is with modern car design in general so why not just keep your old car?

5. Price goes down when more people buy. The original horseless carriage was out of the reach of all but the most rich.

I think a lot of people are losing sight of the fact nothing is being banned apart from the sale of NEW petrol and diesel cars two decades from now. Very few people on here buy new cars anyway. This is a non-issue.

Can't see that being very financially affordable.

What, being able to use a car whenever you want for an annual rental? Seems pretty good for local journeys, and then grab a train if you're going further.

No tax, insurance, repairs to worry about. £25 a year to use it as much as you like, paid for by mile. That's brilliant.

Grim grim news I think. Is it just me or does anyone else think the more time goes by the worse place the world (and in particular this country) gets? This cult of insanity that is 'climate change' is getting ridiculous.

Please, please, somebody, I beg you, invent a time machine! It'll be a one way trip to San Francisco, early 70's for me!

On the other hand, it's only for new stuff. Which I wouldn't buy regardless so I'll just keep burbling around in my old yank and Capri, laughing at all the peasants in their EV's.

How realistic is it that we will have the infrastructure for this by 2040? How do we get enough capacity from the power grid?

Think about the energy used to turn crude oil into refined fuel, I'm not saying it's equal to the energy needed to power a nationwide fleet of electric cars but it'd go some way.