The shite/life balance. When is too much too much?

HMC

^^Same here. I used to think I'd go back to fixing cars once my son was older and didn't need nursing but now that I am at that point I have realised my priorities have changed for good and I'd rather be spending time with my wife and son rather than scrabbling around under a car battling with seized fixings.

I have enjoyed a wonderful run of car mania, with the support of Mrs 6C we have had a fantastic time finding and buying cars we like. This forum has just added to the enjoyment of the experience.

Why do I enjoy bidding on ebay for a broken wreck stuffed in a hedge with the engine in the boot and bringing it back to life, don’t know but I enjoy the whole process.

While I dedicate most of my free time to car related activities sometimes I have a lot more to do than I can possible deal with and have learnt to remind myself this is a hobby and it does not matter if things get delayed.

I need to learn to sell cars as well as buy them if buying is going to continue. We have now filled our new storage so I must be brave and part with some, which is proving to be my downfall! I like all the cars I have.

What ever happens in the future I will remember this period in time very fondly when I was free to enjoy buying the cars of my dreams and the Autoshite community that came with it.

I just can't read the eBay thread. It makes my bidding finger itchy as I see a car that I never had heard of, but definitely must have it.

Currently have 4 that I am responsible for.

Vel satis just runs and doesn't need anything (jinxed it now)

Puma is my tinkering car at the moment. Not having to panic and have it running for work makes things really easy.

I don't have this compulsion to buy and sell shite.  It may be that I've reached peak of shite perfection too quickly and appear to have found the holy grail.

I give you Omega 3.2 MV6 with 181K on the clock. I've done 17K since I got it at the end of September 2016 I look at most if not all that is advertised here, and think "If I didn't have the Omega, I'd be interested in that"

That said I've entered a few roffles.

I think that one's collection of 'shite' expands to fill the available space whether it be driveway, garage or shed. I'm currently on one useable car plus two Land Rover projects in various states of disassembly. The problem with taking a Land Rover to bits is that the parts it consists of expand to fill about five times the space occupied by the complete vehicle.

Another addiction that I have is 'boatshite'; and simply cannot resist 'rescuing' lost causes, generally built of wood, that would otherwise be put on the bonfire. I have about five boats of different types stashed away in various south Pembs. locations; one or two nearly restored and the rest 'pending'.

Squirrel2

I must admit I do like the variety of having several cars. For example today I drove to work in the Safrane before it leaves me tomorrow, then the Jag to Waitrose to get some grub, and the Astra dizzler late this evening to take some decorating gear around to my brother's new house. The daily grind is boring as fuck (or mine is anyway) so having various cars to use adds some interest.

The Metro and Cavalier are keepers, but fortunately I don't have trouble parting with the rest. There's always an itch for something else, funds allowing, and a good collection is always a pleasant diversion from the aforementioned daily grind. Despite being impulsive sometimes it helps that essentially I'm an Arkwright, otherwise I'd have bankrupted myself on cars years ago!

Having eight bicycles (!) in my shed I think the limit is 'what I've got space for and can afford to keep'. I do like change and I mix things up as much as I can (get bored of going to work on the same bike all the time), but there are some things I have little or no intention to sell (I think the Rover is one of those as my mum's got attached to it for some reason).

You get fed up with it when you stop buying shite and start buying shit. Stuff with problems. That's the difference, spend a bit more and buy a good example or buy something that won't be prone to Wallet/hand interface or that won't involve hours to negotiating with someone in Zimbabwe to obtain the last remaining headlamp cluster on earth. Fair do's if you want something rare but don't rely on it as first string transport.

I think 4 or 5 cars is a good limit, recently I have been trying to get down to that number but every time I sell something I end up seeing a free space and buy something to fill it. I am at around 10 at the moment. I want to sell the Alto, lada, 360 and tata and keep the 190e, ranger, 305 and polo. I have a spares 305 which I'm not counting as a car.

I've also got a couple of cars taking up space which don't belong to me that I would like to be free of.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I struggled when I had 4 cars in various states of disrepair. A semi sensible daily (Currently the S4) and a toy/project (currently the Locost) is ideal for me. 

Buying the Clio 182 to fiddle with seemed like a good idea at the time but time spent over the winter fixing that meant I didn't get to do what I had planned to do with the Locost. My then daily 330d then started giving me issues.

And then I won the Lexus...

I gave up and sold everything bar the Locost and bought the S4. But then a mate and I decided to go halves on the Cougar which is currently sitting broken waiting for me to get some time to fix it so I obviously don't learn...

TBH at the moment I am just too busy to be messing about with the real shite. I have the W8, which is high mileage, dirty, unloved and a daily driver. I pay to have it serviced and don't really drive for pleasure anymore, just commute. If I have a problem with it then it goes in the shop and I get a loaner.

I have the use of the wifes almost new car if I am stuck, as she works from home

That said, I am often tempted but the source of my affections changes constantly

for instance I would like a TVR (Cerbera ideally)reason - there are hardly any in NZ and POWERRRRRRRRRRRR

but I would also like a 50s-60s Merc, but sometimes aP5B or C and at the moment after watching the purple ADO16 rebuild I want one of those, but in Gunmetal and with a vvti engine, but then I also want a Hillman Imp, and the moon on a stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've slightly run out of control myself. The Bluebird has been utterly farcical in terms of effort and money spent, all for something that's massively average. Yet, it still somehow seems to be filling me with joy for saving it, sorting it and keeping it on the road. The Proton, still haven't got a clue. Should get some bits to fix it next week, but I'm not sure I can afford to insure it. Maybe if the video keeps getting views I can...

But it is a struggle. There are jobs on all the cars that need doing, and I'm not really keeping up at the moment. Meh. They seem to keep working, so I'll keep on keeping on. Must be said though, I have parking for precisely five cars here, and that's how many I have. I was meant to be at a limit of four, but even Mrs DW realised that the Proton was a sensible purchase. Well, at the time. I think she wants me to get rid of one now, but the 2CV can't go, the Nippa can't go, the Honda can't go and the Bluebird hasn't been given a fair chance yet. Plus I'm spending even more money on it...

Collection Capers can be seriously addictive though, and there's always something else to own. Always.

I've more or less hit tipping point. I got some great job news and then rushed to eBay and gumtree to find a special purchase as a treat. Reality has now hit and I haven't actually got the wages for my new job yet, neither will I have them soon with training etc, I haven't even got a start date yet.

Also, I need to save money. My insurance has gone a bit too high now, and I've really got to cut back on these impulse buys I constantly do. Think I've got two good 90s classics now to be fair, I'm going to have to change daily again as the insurance is madness, which is exhausting to even think about.

The treat purchase can wait until I start my new job, save some proper ££££ and go looking then.

Funnily enough I was meant to be viewing some cars this week and my mojo switched right off each time I was meant to go.

I've gone from having 20 + projects to only 2 now but for the last 15 years or so I have made sure that I have at least one decent working classic that only needs a polish and minor maintenance, it really helps with enthusiasm. I have kept the projects for when I feel like tinkering but it doesn't matter if I don't get them done just yet. No rush.

I have got rid of several cars lately as there is no point keeping them and I am going to try to find the will power no to buy any more however I have started looking at retro mountain bikes now and have just bought one I don't need.. There is another very cheap one in my eBay watch list and its local......

It's a disease.

I need help

I am not sure the number of vehicles I have at the moment. A bit over twenty I think.

A desire to cut down on numbers following a spate of thefts and vandalism on my reserve stock outside my workshop has lead to the usual result of buying more stuff instead.

Yesterdays purchase was justified as being easier than valeting my disgustingly filthy daily for holiday duties.

On one hand it seems a bit silly, while on the other the new chod is quite nice :-D

Since "finding" this site, I have aquired two shite cars to join my rather fast and pampered Saab. I think I've done nearly as many miles in th ex Bramz7 AX since owning it as I have done in the last year in the Saab. 

But my real downfall is motorbikes. I used to buy bikes that were tatty, clean them up and sell it on for a nice profit. I still do that but now I don't sell then on, but keep them and use them. I'm up to 11 now, with just two that are are not roadworthy but close to being so. Some bikes are shite, others more desirable, but I like them all equally.............

It's got a bit silly for me a few times over the years, they I have a life laundry, sell a load of crap and feel better. Then I buy more crap.

I had 9 cars at one point, bearing in mind I had storage for maybe 3 at a push, so had them parked all over the place. One got knicked (or possibly removed by the council), some were sold and I got it back to a more manageable level. I now only have one daily and one in the garage, which I'm in two minds about keeping. I may also have a big clear out of car mags as I went a bit mad collecting them over the last couple of years, and now we have to move house.

It does feel good getting rid of stuff, I cleared out two lock-ups full of car bits years ago, made lots of money, stopped paying the council for them and felt like a millstone had been removed from my neck.