The shite/life balance. When is too much too much?

HMC

Hi all, I've had a bit of self imposed exile from these pages of late. After a particularly busy period of buying and selling old chod, I started to find I was enjoying it less, and yet I was even more compulsive and impulsive when it came to looking for and buying cars. In short I feel I'd lost my way with my hobby, and lost my shite mojo.

I sold everything and avoided e bay like the plague. I've allowed myself back in moderation. I hope that's possible as earlier on in the year I was pretty much constantly looking on my phone for cars to buy and pretty much constantly on this browsing and getting tempted! I hope I can see the forum more as an online community rather than an opportunity to buy cars which is what it became!

Anyway over to you- are you a very well balanced model of self control? Have you ever got a bit to up to your elbows in shite and taken drastic measures? An tips or advice/ stories about your own experiences, what's your outlook on your interest in shite and do you need to keep it in check?

PS it's good to be back.

It is a tricky dilemma, at my worst a good few years ago I had five cars at once which is probably only minor league for this place but certainly more than any "normal" person would need. I found it a struggle to keep them all maintained, insured, taxed and MOT'd etc at the same time and ultimately you can only drive one car at a time.

Now I only intend to buy cars that I will actually use and with two dogs that is pretty much only going to be estate cars. I think one long termer and one that I change every so often will work, plus the Corrado which lives at my brothers and I use whenever the fancy takes me.

I think it's an addiction. An enjoyable one *most of the time but an addiction nonetheless. The difference is that instead of your fellow addicts telling you to 'just say no' they say 'have you bought it yet?'.

I've only got two cars now, and the wife's, as too little time and money to get carried away. The temptation to acquire more is always there though. Sometimes it's good to step away for a bit.

When I first discovered this forum I was living in Cyprus, and it immediately felt like home.  I was able to keep in touch with the UK market and was often quite envious of the buying exploits of various Shiters, as the Cyprus market was so different.

We moved back here in 2012 and it didn't take long for me to immerse myself in Shite.  I've nearly always had cheap old cars and I enjoy being able to change them around from time to time without the inevitable penalties involved in cars that are still depreciating.  Yeah I still come out at a loss, but apart from certain white Rovers, not a big loss.  Having only on-street parking is a helpful limit, as there's only so much space I can steal.

I'm at three cars now (not counting the white thing we don't talk about) which I think is an acceptable fleet, as each one has a specific purpose.  Two isn't really enough; four would be silly.  What this means is that if I want to indulge in frequent changes, the "third car" isn't going to be a keeper.  The Blob obviously is, as MrsR drives that, and we normally use it for the long-distance work.  Besides, it's worthless now, so to get value for the (retail) price I paid, I need to get a few more years out of it!  Huggy is also a keeper, as it's just so "me."

As others have found, cheap old cars are an addiction.  One I'm not ashamed to admit to.

My name is Eddy, and I'm a Shiter.

Good topic. First thoughts...

Try to stay away from the for sale threads. I find myself mentally justifying why almost any car on here could merit a place on my 'fleet'. Most for sale threads will suck you in the more you look at them.  Similarly avoid roffles unless they are very close or shiters you know personally you want to help out (and then plan to give it away if you win).

In the last month or so I've decided that while variety is more fun, just sticking to the Mondeos (hence another one planned) is a sensible strategy. I think getting deep into one model or marque can be rewarding and cost effective if parts can be used on more than one of your cars. 

But here is still better than one make/model forums for all the well known reasons that I won't bore you to repeat.

My wife is very understanding but we have a storage limit here, there's only really space for 2 cars at the house, plus a single garage elsewhere.

I'm therefore limited to 2 plus whatever motorbikes I can fit in the garage as well as a car (currently 3!) but that really is capacity.

I am planning to sell 1 bike and one is a longer term restore project.

My problem seems to be that I enjoy buying and collecting them much more than fixing them - I've got enough work planned on the existing ones to take me into next year, but if I had the space and money I would go out tomorrow and buy some other hopeless heap.

At the moment, I think I've got a decent balance, but I can see how with a bit more space I could end up with 5, 10, or more cars - at that stage I can see how it would get on top of you as there's no real prospect of getting them all sorted and on the road unless you have near unlimited time and money.

I have said this before, but having 4 useable, roadworthy vehicles is a very important part of making sure I never have to catch a fucking bus or cadge a lift to work again.   Its not an addiction as such but something I would feel uncomfortable without.    I would be very much better off financially if I did things "properly" but would still have to go out and earn a living so is there much point in doing without something that makes me happy?   

I do buy far too many car brochures and models which is something I really don't need to be doing.   Then again I could say the same about records and 1950s clothing.   

Really I sometimes don't consider myself a shiter in some of the accepted meanings of the word, I just don't want to walk unless I want to or drive anything made since 1990.   To do that I need four vehicles and spend lots of money keeping them up together.   I would dearly love to need 5 vehicles but I don't want to buy any less records or 1950s clothing.....

Like any decent hobby, shite old cars can really take over your life !

After years of fighting with ever-increasing fleet sizes, I decided last year that I would keep the fleet to a maximum of five cars. This allows me a reliable daily econobox, a modern classic (euphemism for "shite") backup car and three project cars, which is as much as I can realistically cope with in terms of time, space and finances.

If you want to scare yourself, sit down and work how much you've lost on cars over the last ten years. I never went for a new/nearly new ticked up car, but I honestly think it would have been cheaper than buying rogered examples, spending too much on them, not keeping them for long and then losing money each time. It's more fun™ though.

Hearing all this loud and clear. Sometimes you just have to stand back and take stock. For me having a stable of cash suckers which could easily have absorbed thousands to get "up to scratch" was a bit of a headache in the end. Arrival of son and subsequent loss of one half of the household income led to a big clearout. For nearly two years now we've had just two cars, a sensible reliable modern for wife/child/dogs and my A35. It's worked out really well with only one occasion where she's had to taxi me about etc. And I've not had any pangs or temptation to buy anything else.

So my concluding advice is buy a small 1950s saloon from a trusted shiter and live happily ever after.

I am a total addict.  When I die (which might not be long at this rate) some poor bastard is going to have take shitloads of cars and manky old "spares" (more scrap) to the tip/scrappers.

I am aware it is bad but I can't stop.  A recent new relationship is going to temper the habit a little but not much.

arrrgghhhhhh.

I have no fucking idea what a sensible or appropriate limit to cars is.

I was doing quite well until I stumbled upon this place. 

I've tried to be stern with myself about selling and not buying but I appear to be able to tell myself to fuck off without too much difficulty.

There are days when I forget exactly what I have. Why I have them is another matter. Fucking no idea apart from, ooooh, that looks, V5 now in my name, good.

The lowest I'd whittled down to was 2 or 3. It didn't feel right. Now I have 7. How the fuck did that happen? 7 really is too much though. Maybe.

I'm fucked.

I'm just glad i live somewhere where potential shite targets are properly knackered, overpriced crap for the most part, otherwise i could end up like HMM.

I mean I'm pretty lucky, i get to drive a nice modern daily that i certainly couldn't afford to keep fueled in the UK, but the shite itch is still there. Niggling away. That desire to own something a bit rubbish and potentially unreliable.

What is wrong with us?

Good to see you back, HMC. I could see some of my own 'spastic mentalist' traits in you; well done for making it to rehab.

I'm still in denial.

We are down to four cars ATM. We could really have two. Wife in a 7 seater and me in a 190e. But she won't drive a big van derived MPV around Cambridge (pussy) and you quickly learn with 4 children that most MPVs will carry children, or carry their paraphernalia, but not both at the same time.

So the Toyota Granvia is such a versatile beast that it stays. The Avensis is only just starting to cause complaint, but at 211k it's allowed to. The Sierra is also a keeper because it would get ruined in the hands of the mouth breathing morons on FSAC (Facebook).

Wife likes her Focus...it was a wedding present from me so that stays too.

I've been gifted a free Audi 80 but mojo is only semi high as 4 seems the right number. But who turns down a free car?

Anyway. Welcome back.

I gave up my trade insurance as at one point I had 7 cars hidden in different places across the town and it just isn't fun.

I think two projectish cars and one working daily is a maximum for me otherwise I just feel sleepy and depressed as I'm not making progress on anything.

I've given up to be honest and now run two 10 year old 'moderns' the constant fixing and fettling niggles wore me down as I like things to work as they should, my weekends now consist of doing things I want to do instead of crawling underneath cars on the drive, I still enjoy reading about other folks shite motoring though.