Carrying the Aussies!!

xkjagnz

As I have mentioned before I am in the RNZN and we are currently in Australia exercising with the Aussies, Yanks and a few others

I am Chief Engineer on HMNZS Canterbury which is a landing ship (tbh it's a converted Irish Sea car ferry!) -we call it the Combat car Ferry or the Sleek Grey Car Ferry of Death.

Anyway I digress

After dropping off our load of NZ Unimogs, LAV (Light Armoured Vehicles) and Pinzgauer 6wds we went back to NZ for a second load (I'll try and find some pics of them)and after disembarking them we relocated a bunch of Aussie stuff

Thought you might be interested in some of it, most of the stuff had disembarked when I took the pics

post-17864-0-99823700-1500962925_thumb.jpg

A 6WD Quad (should that be a Squad?)

post-17864-0-60769800-1500962949_thumb.jpg

A 6WD Land Rover and trailer

post-17864-0-19796100-1500962968_thumb.jpg

A Mercedes G wagen

post-17864-0-16729300-1500962992_thumb.jpg

Another G wagen

post-17864-0-12052100-1500963015_thumb.jpg

A Merc truck (a bit like a modern Unimog - not sure of designation)

post-17864-0-03076600-1500963041_thumb.jpg

An NH 90 helicopter

post-17864-0-74195300-1500963077_thumb.jpg

and again just added for shits n giggles

As I have mentioned before I am in the RNZN and we are currently in Australia exercising with the Aussies, Yanks and a few others

I am Chief Engineer on HMNZS Canterbury which is a landing ship (tbh it's a converted Irish Sea car ferry!) -we call it the Combat car Ferry or the Sleek Grey Car Ferry of Death.

Anyway I digress

After dropping off our load of NZ Unimogs, LAV (Light Armoured Vehicles) and Pinzgauer 6wds we went back to NZ for a second load (I'll try and find some pics of them)and after disembarking them we relocated a bunch of Aussie stuff

Thought you might be interested in some of it, most of the stuff had disembarked when I took the pics

au01.jpg

A 6WD Quad (should that be a Squad?)

au02.jpg

A 6WD Land Rover and trailer

au03.jpg

A Mercedes G wagen

au04.jpg

Another G wagen

au05.jpg

A Merc truck (a bit like a modern Unimog - not sure of designation)

au06.jpg

An NH 90 helicopter

au07.jpg

and again just added for shits n giggles

That 6WD is a G Wagen too, rather than a Land Rover, isn't it?

I doubt it, seeing how the Australian automotive manufacturing industry has collapsed over the last decade

Quite so.

Just done a bit of research and pretty much all the local Australian-built Land Rovers are out of service, now replaced by the M-B 6WD G-Wagens, as pictured.

Squirrel2

Are those models or is it big screws holding the deck down? :-D

You should see the size of the toolbag I have to carry round to get the screwdrivers in!!

They are lashing points, as unlike domestic ferries we cross the Tasman, Pacific etc we also do disaster relief work, and so have to lash the 20+ tonne vehicles down in roughers as unlike a family saloon, if they move they leave a bit of a dent!

It really is a car ferry!  I did chuckle when I looked it up...

attachicon.gifCar Ferry.JPG

Yes but it's grey so therefore invincible and camouflaged  The COMBAT Car Ferry

and look up just below the funnel --- LANDING CRAFT!!!!!

(Incidentally they weigh 60.5 tonnes unladen with half a tank of fuel and no crew - the big arse crane that lifts them has a SWL of 61tonnes!!! (originally it was 60 tonnes)) oops!

That Unimog is a Unimog and it's far from modern.

Do I see this right, those G-Wagens in combat dress are on alloys?

Do you guys actually want to go to war, or are you more like the Austrian Navy?

Australians/Austrians -- isn't that the same place ? :-D

Anyway I'm a KIWI!!!! (actually I'm a pom with 2 passports), Australians are seriously weird (think Septics without the culture)

Yes but it's grey so therefore invincible and camouflaged  The COMBAT Car Ferry

and look up just below the funnel --- LANDING CRAFT!!!!!

(Incidentally they weigh 60.5 tonnes unladen with half a tank of fuel and no crew - the big arse crane that lifts them has a SWL of 61tonnes!!! (originally it was 60 tonnes)) oops!

SWL of 65 tonnes  :shock: I KNOW because i read it in Janes and you are only the chief engineer.

I can confirm that the actual car ferry is now called Blue Bridge, or the Inter-Islander. I used Blue Bridge late last year to ship me and my Rover SD1 south for a big road trip and then back north again. They are pretty average and didn't have anywhere near the exciting levels of G-Wagens that your jumped up ferry has.

On a side note, I came across a W8 front badge in the back of my wardrobe yesterday if you're still after one.

I can confirm that the actual car ferry is now called Blue Bridge, or the Inter-Islander. I used Blue Bridge late last year to ship me and my Rover SD1 south for a big road trip and then back north again. They are pretty average and didn't have anywhere near the exciting levels of G-Wagens that your jumped up ferry has.

On a side note, I came across a W8 front badge in the back of my wardrobe yesterday if you're still after one.

That would be cool, it would make the car look an estimated 2% less crap and uncared for ;-)

I'm away until next week so haven't got bank/ post access let me know what you want for it and bank details and I will transfer into you acc, I'll pm the address (when I work out where the button is!)

Thanks