It'll never be a classic...

RichardK

I love French cars and they are actually quite good, unless they have that stupid overhyped hydraulics bollox,in which case they are death traps and should be avoided like the clap.You can slag those Germans as much as you want, but if they'd have built Citroens, they would actually work.

I wouldn't knock anyone for having or liking French stuff, I still appreciate them as classics too but I mean they're not 'me'. So I'd never spend big money on one. Old Fords are 'me' so I would.

It's irrelevant really if the car is any good or not as to wether it's valuable or not. It's all down to what the market wants. Right now it's old Fords, tomorrow who knows, maybe 90's French hot hatches when the generation of people who had them as first cars etc are old enough to want to buy into a bit of their past etc.

As I said, it's horses for courses, lots of people don't like old Fords and can't understand the values or why they are so much in demand. That's fine too, it's just the way it is.

In time though there will be less people interested in certain models.

Why? I'm 31 and younger than the newest MGB, yet (as some may know...) I bought one. Looking around at others they seem to be not only driven by old men, but young men too - i.e. those not long passed their driving test.

If has at least one of these things then there is probably going to be a classic: Looks good, Game changer, Nostalgic and/or exotica.

Most people are leasing cars for £300 per month over 3 years and getting nothing for it at the end.

Most of the rest have a company car which is costing them £520 in pretax income, so £312 in real folding + BIC etc

and getting nothing for it at the end.

If your old car(s) costs you less than that and you have a bit of fun or nostalgia or improve your spannering skills or you make some friends as a result, then you are winning compared with most people.

Why? I'm 31 and younger than the newest MGB, yet (as some may know...) I bought one. Looking around at others they seem to be not only driven by old men, but young men too - i.e. those not long passed their driving test.

If has at least one of these things then there is probably going to be a classic: Looks good, Game changer, Nostalgic and/or exotica.

I'm 33 and would love an MGB GT or Morris Minor as my dad had both. I'm generally obsessed with vehicles from that period as I grew up on a diet of the avengers and the sweeney, supplemented by my dad's old magazines.

For there to be mass appeal in a classic car, there needs to be both accessibility through purchase price / spares availability and an emotional connection. MGB manages this very well at the minute but in another 30 years will this still be the case?

It's an iconic car so it will always be special but it will become less relevant and less accessible. Look at a car 30 years older than the MGB. You'll be talking pre war now, different ownership proposition and you probably wouldn't feel the same desire for it as the emotional link isn't there.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk