Bought a SD1 at last! Collection page 6!

trigger

I think he's really got point there! Someone on their own whim has entered his private property! Without arrangements or checking if he's in!

His cars aren't standing on or anywhere near public road.

I would be similarly pissed off.

Yes, possibly. But as the other PH poster said, a PM would have been enough.

I think he has over reacted, but I do kind of agree with him and StillOrange that it isn't on for someone uninvited and unknown to go up someone's driveway well off the road (and by the house I suspect invisible from it) and enter their garden whilst they are away to look at cars they have seen on the internet. I wouldn't want someone I don't know who has read about my car online to do that. In fairness to BV, he has said that people are welcome to stop by and have a look at them - but they have to have been invited. He does seem very angry at the moment, but his marriage has just fallen apart and anger at the world isn't unusual in those circumstances.

No I haven't. I'll have a look for that

Just spent ages reading that thread (including watching Liver Run) and only about half way through.

Absolutely superb. I am up to the part when the second copper who drove his car has "come forward" so to speak!

Oh my word, that is immense, well done that man

On the suspension, a friend of mine had a Mk3 Mondeo estate a couple of years back with self-levelling shocks, it failed an MOT on a broken rear spring and due to the self-levelling system springs being different (and vastly more expensive) he just replaced them with the standard springs.

The result was the arse end sitting comically high, so maybe someone has done something similar here?

I realise BV72 is persona non grata on here, but would you want someone poking round your shed, garage or unit uninvited? Think on how you'd feel if someone turned up unannounced.
Word gets around quickly as to the exact location of workshops; it would only take one scrote to end up with the horrific arson attack that gutted N_bickle's place. 

Whatever you think of the bloke, he's entitled to privacy. 

Then again, the internet (especially Pistonheads) is always right.

Even when it's wrong. 

Just spent ages reading that thread (including watching Liver Run) and only about half way through.

Absolutely superb. I am up to the part when the second copper who drove his car has "come forward" so to speak!

I've just got to the bit where he suddenly and unexpectedly builds a drift car.

One thing that's quite interesting is that even though it's a really quality thread, there's not actually that many comments in between him posting his updates. If that were here people would probably be complaining about lack of interest and saying things like "it's not like it used to be" (etc). And from my perspective it makes it a great read, because it's just solid content, and not much waffle. I just found it interesting.

Lovely car Trig. I take it you didn't buy the Cortina 1600E in the end?

No mate, i went to view it and it was nice but at £6000 I felt the paint finish wasn't up to scratch and it had some rust coming through as well as a few other little bits needing sorting. It was probably still cheap at the price but it would have used all my money and I wouldn't have been able to park it anywhere and it has no more space than the Dolomite gives me.

I collect it Saturday! I was really excited but I've now started to worry about it, people keep telling me how rubbish they are and reading shit online isn't helping at all with people running them down all the time, I'm now getting paranoid about the camshaft breaking or the head gasket blowing and that's before all the electrical problems!

Someone tell me to stop being a tit and that I'm talking shit please!

It's bollocks they're great cars and if they do break they're simple to fix. No doubt critism from

Folk who've not driven one .

Don't sweat it it's grot that does them in not mechanicals and this looks good in that area.

If it does blow up live the dream and fit a t series turbo and Sherpa box. I got offered a complete conversion kit for 250 quid a few years ago and knocked it back !

stop being a tit you're talking shit.

There is a guy around here still using a 1978 2600S as a daily driver.

I mean every single day. He is a jobbing builder.

Any SD1 that has lasted this long must be a good un and been looked after.

People who spout stuff about snapped cams and coke cans in the doors are the modern equivalent of the pub bore who knows everything about nothing.

Even my mate who runs his own garage will always suck his teeth and say things like "wouldn't touch one of those" whatever anyone suggests they are interested in buying. I think it is so he can say "Told you so" if anything goes wrong and he can't be blamed for recommending it.

You want it, you buy it.

And if it is a disappointment then there are several people on here who would want first dibs.

That are probably all skint but that's not the point.

I had a 50k mile 1982 2600SE in 1991. The camshaft went and it shat its autobox.

There's an oil pressure relief valve in the head which sticks and fucks the top end of the engine IIRC.

The auto box was an unusual failure. Luckily boxes were easy to find at the time, £50 or so.

Guest Hooli

There's an oil pressure relief valve in the head which sticks and fucks the top end of the engine IIRC.

If you can find it in BV's thread the fix for that is mentioned.

I collect it Saturday! I was really excited but I've now started to worry about it, people keep telling me how rubbish they are and reading shit online isn't helping at all with people running them down all the time, I'm now getting paranoid about the camshaft breaking or the head gasket blowing and that's before all the electrical problems!

Someone tell me to stop being a tit and that I'm talking shit please!

Not everyone has enough swagger in their pants to drive a Rover. Let them carp and complain about piffling problems while they secretly weep that they cannot find the chutzpah to be you! ;)