How can Doovla lose a registration?

nigel bickle

Seriously, have you seen the size of the DVLA building? What makes you think it has a computer, they did try one early on when computers were the size of rooms but soon found them inefficient and prone to breakdown. A committee chaired by Wendy the tea lady voted to replace the computer with filing cabinets and some girls on YTS as typists and filing clerks. This has worked well for years, occasionally one of the girls will be off and there will be a delay in responding. Unfortunately, due to space constraints, sometimes a filing cabinet has to be emptied and things get thrown out, this is done totally randomly to ensure fairness. Recently due to efficiency savings they have had to let one of the girls go and replaced her with a Jack Russell which now opens the post instead. The online service is outsourced to a lad down in the town who sends a note up to the DVLA office by pigeon, but will give the girls a call on the phone if it's urgent

• 1 month later...

I contacted Coleraine, they told me to write in to them, direct.

That I did, at length, with all the evidence, end of July. I'd heard nothing until my son told me this arrived today.

I presume the original paperwork will follow, with an explanation.

I expected a sneaky ' non transferable' reg, but nope, only clue of strange goings on is in the Special Notes" was registered and/ or used. Declared Manufactured 1990.

Yes that's what I ment, bout 3 years ago had a threating letter re a car not being insured while taxed as I'd ignored the previous 2 they'd sent me.

I pointed out that It was insured & that the logbook had only been in my name for a fortnight as I'd been waiting (asking for one for over 2 months) bought it 3 months ago.

So could they tell me how they'd managed to write to me, they got back with the " explanation" snottly saying no further action would be taken & make sure I updated them quicker in future!

So in other words it's was my fault, which if your lucky enough to get an explanation, it will be inferred that its your fault.

You've obviously never had to deal with the dvla & thier widely publised "we don't make mistakes" attitude to the public like the rest of us.

I've just a couple of weeks back had to help someone (with copies of factory documentation) explain to them that assembled at the Ford factory in port Elizabeth south Africa meens the cortina was built there & not some kind of kitcar/reconstructed from parts etc vehicle.

Therefore should have a 75 reg issued to it.

I've given up asking for an up-to-date red logbook for my mk3 bakkie openly lied to that one will be sent ( wish I'd recorded it for training purposes) .

Presume as usual you've been left to guess why?

• 1 month later...

When they first introduced the on line tax system I tried to renew my AMC tax online.  Having dutifully completed the details, the website just displayed a non-specific error "There was a problem, please try later".  It didn't work later, or indeed for days.  On the phone, the person I spoke to at DVLA got the same error - and had exactly the same amount of idea why - i.e. zero.

I ran out of time and had to do it at the Post Office.

Meantime, I filled in a complaint - according to their chartermark (where they had won awards for not being shit) I should have heard back in 15 days.  I didn't.  I complained some more.  Fuck all.  I wrote to the head person.  Some time later I got a reply without an apology saying the reason it didn't work that they didn't have a date of manufacture, so their automated process (designed by a moron) couldn't decide what tax class it was.  This is in spite of the fact that, short of time travel, it was always going to be historic (it's qualified since the introduction) since it was registered in 1968 - it can't have been made after (as it then was) 1973.

Rather than mend the process they have put an invented date of manufacture on my record.

I just hate this prime example of top level incompetence

Me too. 

Seriously, have you seen the size of the DVLA building? What makes you think it has a computer, they did try one early on when computers were the size of rooms but soon found them inefficient and prone to breakdown. A committee chaired by Wendy the tea lady voted to replace the computer with filing cabinets and some girls on YTS as typists and filing clerks. This has worked well for years, occasionally one of the girls will be off and there will be a delay in responding. Unfortunately, due to space constraints, sometimes a filing cabinet has to be emptied and things get thrown out, this is done totally randomly to ensure fairness. Recently due to efficiency savings they have had to let one of the girls go and replaced her with a Jack Russell which now opens the post instead. The online service is outsourced to a lad down in the town who sends a note up to the DVLA office by pigeon, but will give the girls a call on the phone if it's urgent

I saw an online lecture by some of the founders of the DVLA recently that leads me to suggest this may be closer to the truth than we might imagine.

Amusingly, the woman delivering the lecture had a "DVLA hackathon" sticker on her laptop.  No! - fuck no! - That's what cool tech outfits do to make groovier games etc - it's no wonder they are so fucking useless when they can't see the need to get even basic stuff right first.