Poor Man's 911

MrBiscuits

Estelle 120L, C205GFM, had it for about a month in the late 90s - the classic orangey/red version with the vinyl roof.

Bought it off some guy near Shepshed (nr Looogabrooga) - weird set up, massively long drive to a house and a whole loada chod parked up. This little fella came bouncing down from a massive bank driven my matey to greet me - what a shiteheap. Fell in love immediately.

10 brownies were duly handed over and within 5 minutes I'm driving back to Loughborough in it. I needed wheels urgently as a mate of mine had a bad accident (broke his back) and was holed up in the Northern General, Sheffield, so agreed to ferry his missus up every few days. Didn't have time to give it the proper lurve it evidently needed...

We did about three or four trips, then on exiting the hospital grounds one Saturday evening the fucking nearside rear wheel sheared clean off at about 15mph - comical scenes as we rolled to a grinding lop-sided halt on the exit road and the errant wheel rolled pass us, hopped up a kerb then rolled down a hill, ending up in a bush. We'd been caning* it at 60-70mph on the way up so I still shudder about this event.

Green Flag towed it off to some obscure garage near  a service station on the M1 and dropped me at the station (got home after midnight, the mate's missus was kindly put up by the hospital). Got charged a shedload for them to put it back together again and picked it up a week later.

Couple of weeks later, collecting some tickets from the Forest ground and the gearbox completely disintegrated on me. Green Flag again (different driver) where I duly instructed him to dump the POS at the nearest scrappy and take whatever they gave him as a tip. I got the bus back home.

So, for the four weeks I had it, yes it was shit, but it was fun shit. Would I have had another after chucking so much money at my first version ? Probably, but then a Metro came along instead.....

I've driven a couple of different 911s and a few rear engined Skodas including a stage prepared rally car and I can remember that they both had that same ,sort of bobbing feeling to the steering/ front suspension. I've never driven a Beetle or Imp so maybe it's just a rear engined thing.

I do know that the owner of the first 911 I drove, didn't appreciate the comparison!

post-17414-0-83830900-1500672615_thumb.jpeg