Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Poor Man's 911

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   clayts450

clayts450

Urban on-roader

• Full Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • 28 thanks
  • LocationNottingham

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

Estelle 120L, C205GFM, had it for about a month in the late 90s - the classic orangey/red version with the vinyl roof.

Bought it off some guy near Shepshed (nr Looogabrooga) - weird set up, massively long drive to a house and a whole loada chod parked up. This little fella came bouncing down from a massive bank driven my matey to greet me - what a shiteheap. Fell in love immediately.

10 brownies were duly handed over and within 5 minutes I'm driving back to Loughborough in it. I needed wheels urgently as a mate of mine had a bad accident (broke his back) and was holed up in the Northern General, Sheffield, so agreed to ferry his missus up every few days. Didn't have time to give it the proper lurve it evidently needed...

We did about three or four trips, then on exiting the hospital grounds one Saturday evening the fucking nearside rear wheel sheared clean off at about 15mph - comical scenes as we rolled to a grinding lop-sided halt on the exit road and the errant wheel rolled pass us, hopped up a kerb then rolled down a hill, ending up in a bush. We'd been caning* it at 60-70mph on the way up so I still shudder about this event.

Green Flag towed it off to some obscure garage near  a service station on the M1 and dropped me at the station (got home after midnight, the mate's missus was kindly put up by the hospital). Got charged a shedload for them to put it back together again and picked it up a week later.

Couple of weeks later, collecting some tickets from the Forest ground and the gearbox completely disintegrated on me. Green Flag again (different driver) where I duly instructed him to dump the POS at the nearest scrappy and take whatever they gave him as a tip. I got the bus back home.

So, for the four weeks I had it, yes it was shit, but it was fun shit. Would I have had another after chucking so much money at my first version ? Probably, but then a Metro came along instead.....

• somewhatfoolish likes this

Current

1992 Rover 214SLi; 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited CRD2004 Rover Streetwise S

Historical choddage (stopped driving 1999-2016)
1969 VW Beetle 1300;  1977 Morris Marina 1.3 Super; 1983 Skoda Estelle 120L; Rover Metro; Vauxhall CorsaVauxhall Cavalier ; 2001 Rover 45 V6 Connie (May to Oct 2018)

#32 OFFLINE   Snipes

Snipes

• Full Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:10 PM

My dad had a few Estelles during the very early 90s. He was also a train spotter and liked buses so I had no chance at school.

Other than the odd Citroen he's always had skoda as; Favorits, Felicias, Octavias, a Superb etc.
  • warren t claim likes this

#33 OFFLINE   NorfolkNWeigh

NorfolkNWeigh

• Full Members
  • 7,148 posts
  • 17 thanks

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

I've driven a couple of different 911s and a few rear engined Skodas including a stage prepared rally car and I can remember that they both had that same ,sort of bobbing feeling to the steering/ front suspension. I've never driven a Beetle or Imp so maybe it's just a rear engined thing.
I do know that the owner of the first 911 I drove, didn't appreciate the comparison!

image.jpeg
  • Hooli likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users