Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I buy an SD1?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Ratdat

Ratdat

• Full Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

Looks great ratdat, I was watching that car to as a possible solution to the great single plen manual vitesse running gear surrounded by very tatty bodywork example of the breed in my custodianship :roll: Those glovebox literatures are nice!

It would have been a good solution to that! Although, in a way it'd be a shame to pull it apart and make it V8 as it's so unmolested. I bet a lot of six pots have been converted to V8 over the years, especially the smaller ones. Is your shell not worth fixing up?

#62 OFFLINE   bigstraight6

bigstraight6

• Full Members
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:55 PM

Looks great ratdat, I was watching that car to as a possible solution to the great single plen manual vitesse running gear surrounded by very tatty bodywork example of the breed in my custodianship :roll: Those glovebox literatures are nice!

It would have been a good solution to that! Although, in a way it'd be a shame to pull it apart and make it V8 as it's so unmolested. I bet a lot of six pots have been converted to V8 over the years, especially the smaller ones. Is your shell not worth fixing up?

Well, its a right tatty old thing really, all the door bottoms are gone as is the bonnet and tailgate, and some rather nasty looking bubbling around the windscreen and sunroof :roll: In an earlier post to this thread, you make a comparison of the Rover straight 6 to the Triumph engine, I have an idea the Rover engine was indeed based on the Triumph lump, and in a book I have on the history of the Triumph 2000/2500, there is a picture of a late model 2500 being used as a test-bed for the Rover engine with the bonnet open clearly showing the installation :wink:
Posted Image

#63 OFFLINE   Justin Case

Justin Case

• Full Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

Actually sounds pretty nice. Fairly muffled from inside the car. Sounds more like the old Triumph six to me than say, a Datsun six like in a Z or Laurel.

Weren't the six-cylinder SD1 engines developed from the Triumph six? If so it could account for that

#64 OFFLINE   MrRegieRitmo

MrRegieRitmo

• Full Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationS Coast England

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:29 PM

I've saved the pictures of the car, it looks a beauty! 8)

#65 OFFLINE   Spottedlaurel

Spottedlaurel

• Full Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • LocationNorfolk

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

Looks fantastic Ed! It’d be period perfect to take along to the Neasden garage, we noticed they had a few SD1 posters up.P.S. Shame to see MikeD’s old Lancer sitting there.

1973 Datsun 1200 B110 2dr; 1980 Laurel 2.4 C230; 1988 Sunny 1.6 LX N13
1992 Camry 2.2GL project car (still on hold); 1993 Camry Estate 2.2GL (was daily driver, written-off and awaiting repair)
1996 Lexus LS400

And a couple of modern Toyotas.

#66 OFFLINE   Mike D

Mike D

• Full Members
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationChillin' at the beach down at Club Med

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

P.S. Shame to see MikeD’s old Lancer sitting there.

Bernie was using it for work for a while before she got the 323GT, it'll be getting re-tested soon and more than likely sold on, it's a lovely car, but as i have the Astra and it does twice the mpg, i don't really have a use for it anymore

#67 OFFLINE   Ratdat

Ratdat

• Full Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

It's a shame that the Lancer has so little going for it. It's neither fast nor economical and it isn't even particularly attractive to look at! It actually drives lovely and is really confortable and of course is in really good shape so it's not all bad. I'm sure someone will be smitten with it though and it'll find a home.

#68 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:01 PM

I must admit it ticks a lot of my boxes, but there's no room at the inn, unfortunately!I'm particularly fond of the bland and the obscure.

#69 OFFLINE   Mash

Mash

• Full Members
  • 2,444 posts
  • Location1985

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

And it's gold too. All good 80s shite should be beige or gold. An awful lot of low mileage autos I've seen from this period seem to be gold. I suppose it went well with the beige/brown decor of the original retired owners bungalows. And their beige cardigans. And beige slacks. And beige loafers.
I dont no wot there worth tbh mate only wont it for pre 68 obvserly lol hav u got any pics plz mate

#70 OFFLINE   michiel

michiel

Must try harder

• Full Members
  • 4,112 posts
  • LocationLes Pays Bah

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:24 PM

Nice SD1, what a dashboard!

#71 OFFLINE   retrogeezer

retrogeezer

• Full Members
  • 4,771 posts
  • LocationUpstairs at Eric's

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:55 PM

SD1 looks very clean and straight - nice purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users