Should I buy an SD1?

Ratdat

Ok.Its not been on the road for a few years - but the memories remain!This low mileage, immaculate one owner car is/was a constant disappointment. Parts constantly failed for no reason (ie -windows just fell off their runners), fuel consumption ruinous (computer says 0.6mpg -cold and autochoke) for realistically only average acceleration.It was only quick at the top of the rev range. Trim is less than hardwearing, rust proofing abyssmal,towing performance was rubbish. I couldnt find a sensible use for it.However -it did sound good -and in time it'll come out of store -I'm sure.To make sure I kept it -I put a valuable reg on it -so I can't sell it can I?

Six potters are supposedly a lovely drive. But I'm sure you'd always be disappointed not to have the soundtrack to go with it. My dad had one when I was about 10 and it was the most fantastic thing ever, listening to the V8 burble away as we wafted about in luxury. Oh and yes, it was unreliable and disgustingly thirsty. :lol:

It's BL, it's meant to fall part and break down! :lol: Just kidding BL fans!

I'm going for it. I don't really need to have a purpose for it, it's purely just because I fancy one. It's not gonna be doing lots of miles so I'm not too worried about economy and I have my truck for towing. If I hate it'll I'll just flog it on. It's reasonably priced (£675) and has a new ticket. Here it be...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks remarkably smart. Not my bag though - call me a picky peter, but I much prefer the style of the series 1 cars, the lamps recessed a bit, and the materials used in the later cars are not as groovy. Also the earlier ones were usually in lovely lurid colours.

I think you're gonna like it ed. The six-pots have a soundtrack all of their own and are surprisingly economical. Not fast like but if they hadnt suffered the old cam seizing problem I reckon theyd be considered a 'great engine'. Driving position and general waftiness is grat on those SD1's.I would love a cheap tidy 2000 SD1, I would lob its engine out and fit a diesel from a Rover 200 bubble. One just sold on there today for £100, had to sit on my hands. OLDSKOOL RWD BL DIESEL DRIFT NOT AE86 COOKING OIL HKS GREDDY etc etc.

If it was an early 2300 I wouldn't have bought it as I don't think they have PAS (and 4 speed too?). Only thing I'm not so keen on is the headlights and especially the chrome trim round them and the later bumpers which aren't so nice. Interiors fine by me. Looks nice a nice place to be (whilst waiting for the AA no doubt)

I have experienced the joy of BL before. I had a Marina 1300 super. It was proper shite :lol: Lots of faults, niggling problems and the occasional major failure. I think I'm just curious to see if I like it or not. Be an interesting comparison to some of the Japanese stuff I have had of the same age.

The 2300 is supposed to be the most troublesome of the SD1 engines. 2600 is usually a better bet if you want a 6. Having said that, if it's been well maintained and had frequent oil changes you should be OK, especially if you're not going to be doing many miles in it. And I have to say that is a very smart looking example, and the price ain't bad either. Just stick some Vitesse alloys on it to match the front skirt and you'll have yourself a very nice looking motor. Comfy too.

That's what I read. The head was replaced with a recon one a few years ago along with a new cam. I'm happier that it was a done a while back rather than recently as there's less chance that the engines goosed. Passed it's MOT with flying colours apparently so it can't be too bad.

Well be back by about four I expect as I'm not sure I can pick it up until lunchtime. Then again we can always go earlier and you can just drop me off and cruise on back. I have to call the geezer in the morning so I'll find out then.It's a drive home jobby. Needs rent but I can get that there.

I'd love to at least be passengered in one. The boss at my first job had a 2000, then a 2600VDP, and I got ferried around in both of them. I remember that feeling of sitting between the high waistline and big transmission tunnel. The airiness of the interior was not helped by his pipesmoking which gave everything a fuggy quality. Not unusual to find a pipe tucked down beside the seat.Sadly I never got to drive either of them (too young!) but I did have a go in his 827 which followed it.Make sure you bring it down when you visit soon!I guess it would have competed with C31 Laurel 2.4, taking an example from the sort of stuff we know? In 1984, my Parkers says a 2300 SD1 was £10264 and the Laurel a mere £8195 :shock: A Granada 2.3GL was £10627, an Audi 100 CS (2.2) over £11k.

I'd love to at least be passengered in one. The boss at my first job had a 2000, then a 2600VDP, and I got ferried around in both of them. I remember that feeling of sitting between the high waistline and big transmission tunnel. The airiness of the interior was not helped by his pipesmoking which gave everything a fuggy quality. Not unusual to find a pipe tucked down beside the seat.Sadly I never got to drive either of them (too young!) but I did have a go in his 827 which followed it.Make sure you bring it down when you visit soon!I guess it would have competed with C31 Laurel 2.4, taking an example from the sort of stuff we know? In 1984, my Parkers says a 2300 SD1 was £10264 and the Laurel a mere £8195 :shock: A Granada 2.3GL was £10627, an Audi 100 CS (2.2) over £11k.

Blimey, that's a hell of a price difference! I'm amazed that the Laurel was so cheap. That was around the time Nissan UK had a big falling out with NMC over the sale of Nissan UK wasn't it. From what I read NMC started ramping up the prices they were charging Nissan UK for cars to make things difficult for them. Incidentally, I found out that NMC later refused to sell Nissan UK two models which would have been very profitable but I don't know which two. I wonder if one was the C33 Laurel?I'll definately trundle down to yours in it shortly. I did think about diverting that way on the way back but I checked and it's about 60 odd miles and then about 3 hours back from yours to home.

Evenin all, as the resident SD1 meister-of-shite that is the SD1 I would strongly advise you to get a V8, basically you can talk about camshaft seizures and other straight-six problems as long as ya like son and granted-the 2000 is reliable(in SD1 terms) and economical but it has all the attraction of a Gareth Gates CD and I'll forget you even mentioned the 2400Turdo-Diesel.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasically I've got at the moment a 2600 and a V8, admittedly the V8 is modified but if I forgot about the power, noise and enough torque to tear yourself a new arse-piece I would be left with one thing-engine noise, the engine note from an SD1 straight-six is in my humble quite possible one of the flattest, biggest disappointments this side of discovering you got a Gareth Gates CD for Chrimbo. Rip the motor out and stick in a V8. Interesting what Mister Nigel Slap-and-Tickle said-I had a Vitesse last year myself, One owner from new 52k miler-big bag o'sh!te, every journey was a disaster. Panels will rot in next to no time-it might look mint now but a year outside without wrapping it in cotton wool and it'll be a rotter. Oh yeah and you'll have loads of electrical probs, loads of leaks and the headlining will sagg and go mouldy.

Is anyone interested in a 2600SE???? the dark red one in the pics? I really need to get rid of it so I will take silly money for it. think its mileage is 72k, ran ok when last used, its not the usual bag of nails either.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Love the wheels on this one. I remember travelling to school in metallic green V8-S when I was wee, quite a nice experience as I recall. About as close as I ever got to travelling in a Ferrari Daytona, anyway.

Wasn't the Diesel SD1 engine sourced from Italy?