Yet another Rover - now SOLD

eddyramrod

Sorry, no pics yet.  I'm still struggling with my external HD, for some reason the computer can't find it, which means that A, I can't access the photo files I have, and B, if I download off the camera, where are the new pics going to go?

I'll keep at it.  I have to.  That HD is where I store all my writing too, and the invoices I send to CCB.  They owe me for two columns now and I can't even send an invoice!  Of course I also need to send them an introduction to this car!

Yes and yes, basically.  I am very happy with it, I think it's going to be a very nice thing to have for at least the length of the MoT (March).  Had the sunroof open today; all done by elastic trickery without fault.  There's even an alarm that beeps when the pane is in motion!  I'm highly entertained by the way the PO went to great lengths to tell me what a fast car it is.  What's he driven before?  A35s?  Diesel Land Rovers?  It's perfectly capable and acceptable, and there's power in reserve on the motorway, but it doesn't seem to have much in the way of low-down torque, so acceleration is a bit short of Hollywood stuntwork.  Brakes are soft, which might need looking at, but overall it's a very relaxing drive.  I haven't been through the history file yet, that's a job for tonight.  I'm hoping to find evidence of the cambelt being done not too long ago.  If I fail, that'll be on the list too.

The beeping on the windows - that means you haven't re-synced the windows since a flat battery. If you hold the button down for the full length of the window's journey up and down (+1 or 2 seconds in each direction) you'll likely find you've restored one-shot operation, and lazy locking (closing windows by pressing the fob when locking the car). Same goes for the sunroof.

Soft brakes - TADTS. Or at least to some extent. I've never been happy with my Vitesse brakes, nor my other previous 800s. And clearly neither was the previous owner, as he'd installed braided hoses all round, but with no joy. Apparently the only way to achieve an effective pedal (without messing around with vacuum/pressure bleeders) is to bleed with the caliper tilted to ensure the bleed nipple is actually at the highest point. Handy.

Car looks great - enjoy!

Came here to mention the window re-synching - beaten to it. Remember to do the sunroof, too.

Soft brake pedal does indeed seem to be an 800 thing - mine is the same and I'm very unlikely to ever do owt about it. Also, I'm very envious of you having two working remote fobs to my zero.

So, the plan for tomorrow:

Collect car from NE12 area of Newcastle approx lunchtime.

Stop somewhere handy for lunch.  Local Shiters: is there a Frankie&Benny's nearby, or something equivalent?

Waft home.

Let's see how that works!

Eddy I have just read this,I would have happily pointed you to a good eating place,kept you company,but i was getting ready to live in a field in Ripley.

It'll hit 40,000 miles tomorrow, probably just as I arrive at work.  It's been starting every time (touch wood!) and is a lovely smooth quiet ride to work.  It's entirely possible that I might have just bought one of the best-kept cars I've ever owned.

Thank you Mo!  Since I first saw your message I've had a look at the mats in the car: they are just generic, so a set of proper Rover mats would be very much appreciated.  We should probably go to PM, as I'm sure there will be more stuff I need to ask about.

• 2 weeks later...

Photos uploaded to a different computer, so here's one of Our Hero committing one of the essential elements...

post-4559-0-09204000-1502113145_thumb.jpg

And here's the other essential element; unfortunately I forgot to do it at the collection end of the trip, so this is at my local Shell, oops.

post-4559-0-86618400-1502113551_thumb.jpg

Let's see if we can get a look inside, shall we?

post-4559-0-89749700-1502113852_thumb.jpg

Notice how the dashtop is deformed over the instruments?  I would imagine that's sun damage, although there's no cracking or fading in evidence.  I'm guessing it's fairly normal for these.  Is it worth trying to find a replacement?

Photos uploaded to a different computer, so here's one of Our Hero committing one of the essential elements...

attachicon.gifCamdump1 448.jpg

And here's the other essential element; unfortunately I forgot to do it at the collection end of the trip, so this is at my local Shell, oops.

attachicon.gifCamdump1 459.jpg

Let's see if we can get a look inside, shall we?

attachicon.gifCamdump1 452.jpg

Notice how the dashtop is deformed over the instruments?  I would imagine that's sun damage, although there's no cracking or fading in evidence.  I'm guessing it's fairly normal for these.  Is it worth trying to find a replacement?

Seen a few with that happening just above the instrument cluster. Not sure there's much can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Well today this car has been into a handy garage for a cambelt.  And kit, and alternator belt.  Might as well get it all done at once, right?  I also asked Malcolm to have a look at the brakes, as they were still a bit soft. 

So he did.  Handbrake pivots seized, which he freed off.  Brake fluid "black" so he changed it.  OK, so far so good.  OSF caliper... also seized, brake binding.  No wonder the bloody thing felt slow!  He's freed it off and fitted new pads right across the front, but warned me to keep an eye on it as it could easily jam up again.

I've spent rather more money than I intended to, and what's worse, he doesn't take cards so I had to draw it!  So now I'm truly skint, and it's only 4 weeks to payday...

Yes, that seems to be the consensus, so I'm not going to worry about it.  Much more important is how it behaves on my trip to Chester tomorrow.  Oh and keep an eye on Classic Car Buyer, it'll be making an appearance in Staff Classics in the near future!

Looks great Eddy. My old mans Mk1 "XX" 820SE was the first car I ever 'drove'. He used to let me steer it down the track to where we lived whilst he worked the pedals when I was about four or five. So I've liked them ever since. A late model Vitesse Coupe is one for my dream car garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I think you're right.  It certainly feels like it's moving more freely, so obviously the seized caliper was holding it back.  It stops a bit better; still not all that positive but better than they were.  I've done a daytrip to Chester, which seemed fine.  That's 120-odd miles each way.

Finally some pics! Eddy, the dash lift is normal, replacements can be had but they are very difficult to remove/refit, expensive and the same thing will happen to the new dash over time. A lot of 800 owners will restick the top of the dash down, tiger or gurilla glue, some clamps and 24 hours will see them stuck back down if successful but you need patience and a bit of precision.

Cheers Mo.  I reckon I can live with the dash.  Seems they all do it so it's not something to worry about.  The OSR door fixed itself!  I went to open it the other day, forgetting that it didn't work.... and it opened normally from outside.  One less worry...

• 1 month later...

This has been back to the garage today.  The exhaust has been blowing, which is pretty unobtrusive from inside the car, but doesn't create the right impression on bystanders when one arrives somewhere.  Bear in mind it came with an invoice from August 2016 for a new back box...

It would appear that the new piece was intended for a slightly different model, as the joining flanges are different.  The flange on the middle section had been bodged to fit, which it still didn't quite, and that's where the blow was: the pipe had come away from the flange.  The middle silencer was on the brink of letting go too, even I could see the soot mark.  So ok, a new middle section was ordered and it didn't line up with the back box, leading us to the aforesaid conclusion.  So a new back box had to be ordered too, and came in time to be fitted today.  The flanges now line up properly and the car is nice and quiet, although it still has a bit of a basso rasp which is rather nice.

My bank account, on the other hand, looks rather less nice.  Good thing it's payday next week.