Yet another Rover - now SOLD

eddyramrod

Excellent purchase Eddy. You have my Rover 800 licker seal of approval (doesn't stop water leaks/rust)

I have mats and probably some other bits laying about somewhere if you need anything. If I don't have it, I know of another Rover 800 enthusiast who has spares if needs be.

Having been spoilt by V6s in found the 4-cyl a bit wanting at lower speeds but at higher speeds almost like it's V6 brethren.

Your purchase might push me to get one of mine sorted. I am embarassed to not have an 800 on the road and therefore as a so-called "enthusiast" I've nothing to show for it but a few mouldy 800s.

So, the plan for tomorrow:

Collect car from NE12 area of Newcastle approx lunchtime.

Stop somewhere handy for lunch.  Local Shiters: is there a Frankie&Benny's nearby, or something equivalent?

Waft home.

Let's see how that works!

So, the plan for tomorrow:

Collect car from NE12 area of Newcastle approx lunchtime.

Stop somewhere handy for lunch.  Local Shiters: is there a Frankie&Benny's nearby, or something equivalent?

Waft home.

Let's see how that works!

I R DISAPPOINT.  I thought we had a North East Network who could offer up recommendations and reviews, but it appears I'm going to have to take my chances.  Oh my poor delicate tummy!

Nice waft....lol!  I would have been better off buying a surfboard!

OK, I'm home with it.  PO is gutted at having to sell because his eyes are not good enough any more.  He did give me £20 back for petrol, which was a nice touch.  And it's a nice car.  Not as "fast" as PO would have me believe, but cruises happily on the motorway and the kickdown works fine, so I can't complain.  All the gadgets i've tried seem to work, which is pretty good.  Some of the interior plastics are a bit deformed; maybe one of our resident 800 lickers knows of a stock of parts?

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for photos until I've sorted out my computer issues, sorry.

I R DISAPPOINT.  I thought we had a North East Network who could offer up recommendations and reviews, but it appears I'm going to have to take my chances.  Oh my poor delicate tummy!

Sorry, didn't see this yesterday. Where did you go in the end?

Rover sounds great!

Yes and yes, basically.  I am very happy with it, I think it's going to be a very nice thing to have for at least the length of the MoT (March).  Had the sunroof open today; all done by elastic trickery without fault.  There's even an alarm that beeps when the pane is in motion!  I'm highly entertained by the way the PO went to great lengths to tell me what a fast car it is.  What's he driven before?  A35s?  Diesel Land Rovers?  It's perfectly capable and acceptable, and there's power in reserve on the motorway, but it doesn't seem to have much in the way of low-down torque, so acceleration is a bit short of Hollywood stuntwork.  Brakes are soft, which might need looking at, but overall it's a very relaxing drive.  I haven't been through the history file yet, that's a job for tonight.  I'm hoping to find evidence of the cambelt being done not too long ago.  If I fail, that'll be on the list too.

Yes and yes, basically.  I am very happy with it, I think it's going to be a very nice thing to have for at least the length of the MoT (March).  Had the sunroof open today; all done by elastic trickery without fault.  There's even an alarm that beeps when the pane is in motion!  I'm highly entertained by the way the PO went to great lengths to tell me what a fast car it is.  What's he driven before?  A35s?  Diesel Land Rovers?  It's perfectly capable and acceptable, and there's power in reserve on the motorway, but it doesn't seem to have much in the way of low-down torque, so acceleration is a bit short of Hollywood stuntwork.  Brakes are soft, which might need looking at, but overall it's a very relaxing drive.  I haven't been through the history file yet, that's a job for tonight.  I'm hoping to find evidence of the cambelt being done not too long ago.  If I fail, that'll be on the list too.

Excellent, I like how everything just 'works' on these old Rovers, as everything works on mine! And.... no issue with a leaking sunroof. Bonus.!!! 

Nice one.

Well, I've now had a happy half hour with the paperwork.  All the MoTs are there, right back to the first in 1998, at 15,476.  The most recent was in March this year, at 39,467, and it'll turn 40,000 this week.  It seems to have had an out-of-sequence MoT a few years ago that wasn't wanted or needed, but resulted in some work being done.  Bit sharp, that.  No further bills from that garage, I notice!  It's also had the head gasket done twice (02 and 08) and the cambelt (02 and 07).  I've had a word with a friendly local garage and it'll be going in for another belt in a couple of weeks, and a look at the brakes.  They're about as inspiring as mk1 Granada brakes (ie not at all) so something isn't right.  It's supposed to have had new discs and pads on the back a few months ago.  It had a complete exhaust in 08 and a new back box last year, and some welding to the sills for a couple of the more recent tickets.

I could easily feel very at-home in this.

Well, I've now had a happy half hour with the paperwork.  All the MoTs are there, right back to the first in 1998, at 15,476.  The most recent was in March this year, at 39,467, and it'll turn 40,000 this week.  It seems to have had an out-of-sequence MoT a few years ago that wasn't wanted or needed, but resulted in some work being done.  Bit sharp, that.  No further bills from that garage, I notice!  It's also had the head gasket done twice (02 and 08) and the cambelt (02 and 07).  I've had a word with a friendly local garage and it'll be going in for another belt in a couple of weeks, and a look at the brakes.  They're about as inspiring as mk1 Granada brakes (ie not at all) so something isn't right.  It's supposed to have had new discs and pads on the back a few months ago.  It had a complete exhaust in 08 and a new back box last year, and some welding to the sills for a couple of the more recent tickets.

I could easily feel very at-home in this.

Seems to of had everything done that is essential and needed done then. Belts change is a must and an overhaul on the brakes and you'll be home and dry I reckon. Should be good till next MOT.

Can someone remind me where we go for dealer plates please?  Both plates on this car have been replaced, at different times, and the back one is a bit deformed anyway, so I might as well see if I can get some with CD Bramall, Newcastle, on them.  It's still got a very good sticker in the back window!

Can someone remind me where we go for dealer plates please?  Both plates on this car have been replaced, at different times, and the back one is a bit deformed anyway, so I might as well see if I can get some with CD Bramall, Newcastle, on them.  It's still got a very good sticker in the back window!

Watching with interest as my rear number plate needs replacing, it is original dealer and would like to keep it original as poss.

Didn't egg get some dealer plates made up for his Mondeo?

Just tracked down the original eBay add from the tat thread, that rear plate looks fine*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-ROVER-820si-automatic-/232401722008?hash=item361c38da98%3Ag%3AIEIAAOSwvjdZRr4B&nma=true&si=m9X2m1PJC9cyZEvIE1wLu1u0xoc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557