Just because it looks written off doesn't make it written off.

cort16

I'm surprised there's even a conversation here!

The fastest easy answer is to call your own insurance company (the one that covered it at the time of the supposed claim).

It is directly in their interest to investigate and I'm certain they'd be happy to dig, after all they have all the tools at hand.

Anything else is a waste of effort.

It's not showing my insurance company on the claim apparently . I can't get access to this information but Experian told me this when I logged the call . I think the issue is someone else's insurance company or the insurance data base people have fat fingered it. Experian have a process for investigating this, which they're doing . If they find the issue it's removed from the register , problem solved .

If that doesn't work I'll speak to my insurance company.

get onto the daily pissboiler

these sort of schenanigans should have you a full page 2 feature if not headline on the front page!!

Need to practice your sad face while posing in front of your car.

:D

Glad that you are getting someplace, should be all ironed out in no time :)

Something similar happened to the MIL a while ago. She had an old Rover 25 (bought from me) and out of th blue she had a letter from her insurers explaining how they were paying out after she rear ended someone in London a few months previously. She's never driven to London, yet alone taken that car to London. Her insurers were having none of it and pretty much accused her of trying to wrangle her way out of it. The only plus point for her was the driver at the time was a young woman in her 20s and the MIL is in her 60's

They took it a bit more seriously when she reported her car as cloned to police and sent out an engineer to inspect for damage. Of course there was no damage but the engineer still said it could've been involved in a light prang... apparently the other car was trashed, occupants cut out etc.

After much time wasting and stress they found that a digit on the numberplate had been inputted incorrectly, this was only found when the MIL insisted the guy on the phone look at the original hand written claim form.

When she went to renew her insurance a few months later she found she had a claim against her... it was eventually quashed when she mentioned the ombudsman.

A slightly different scenario but I shows how fat fingers or poor handwriting can cause huge problems for totally innocent people, and how the industry can be totally indifferent to the idea of sorting things out.

The problem is it's practically impossible to speak to people at these various agencies. Its made as difficult as possible to dissuade you from wasting their time. When I had someone run into the back of me years ago the other party wouldn't admit liability for ages, in the meantime my renewal came up and it had doubled. This was because the other party hadn't admitted liability, they had it down that it was 50/50 until the the others admitted liability. The insurer couldn't see past this so I had no option but to pay the extortionate premium until the other guy admitted it was his fault. Madness!

I've had this before on a Land Rover Freelender that flagged as a Cat B. It was an error caused by some dozy plank at an insurance company keying in the wrong reg number. I have no doubt this is the same. I contacted Experian and they they contacted the insurance company involved, established the error and updated their records. The flip side of this is that someone is perhaps unknowingly driving about in a Cat C write off they may have paid top money for. 

PS: if you have little luck, I'm happy to have a pop. We (motor trade business) have a subscription to HPI and so, as a customer, I can kick up a bit. I'll claim you're px-ing it with me and their bollocks data is ballsing up my sale. But I'm sure it'll be sorted Monday / Tuesday though.

If you send them a letter saying your £15000 car is now only worth £500, your letter will be in the bin before they finish the paragraph.

If you present realistic researched figures then you may get somewhere.

Aye, don't trust any dickhead that would suggest that......I'll get my coat. :ph34r:

Today I got this email :

With reference to your enquiry regarding the above vehicle, I have the pleasure of confirming the following details:

We have amended our records accordingly as the incorrect total loss marker has now been removed.

Be polite, accurate and patient.

Sometimes systems work if you give them a chance.

Glad this was sorted reasonably promptly OP.