Dave wants a 4x4.

dave21478

I need a 4x4. Preferably one known to the forum, sold by a member or somebody they know. Yeah there are loads on ebay, but I would much prefer to not take a risk on buying one blind at this sort of money.

Preferably some kind of pickup....L200, Ranger, Navara etc. Either double or extra cab, would prefer not a single cab.

Would also consider a Freelander, either a TD4 or a V6. MUST be a 3 door.

Auto gearbox would be nice. Air con would be nice.

No rotters. No chassis snappers. No patchwork of MOT welding plates. 

Im not fussed about cosmetics....dents and scrapes are fine as long as its not bashed to fuck. Dirty or torn interior is ok too as long as its not totally chewed to fuck.

Obviously cheap is good but I can put a few grand into it for the right car.

Good to see you back DaveNumbers.

Thanks.

It all got a bit un-autoshite for a while so I took a break. Then I forgot my password. Then I locked myself out of my recovery email account. So I signed up a new username here. But for some reason it never had any posting privelidges so I couldnt say anything. So I thought "fuck it" and never bothered. Then a I realised I missed the place. Then I remembered my password. So I came back.

Fuck technology, by the way.

I think this is a tall ask these days. The farmers around here are similarly struggling. Some manage to coax a bit more life out of their Fourtraks, while Mitsu L200s came, but largely seem to be going again as they rot out. Wisely, they've all mostly avoided Navara chassis-snappers. Some bought Isuzus, but then had several engines replaced. Others are trying to keep Land Rovers going, which is like trying to avoid salmonella by eating actual money. The simple, strong pick-up they all want doesn't really seem to exist anymore. One has bought a V6 Tdi VW Amarok. I'm waiting to see what goes wrong with that. I can't imagine it was even slightly cheap.

How about a Hilux Surf? Or have they all rotted away now too? Or Mitsubishi Delica. Sills rot out for fun, but they're generally fairly hardy for their age, and I know from my pal's that they will tolerate a terrifying amount of abuse. All while doing no better than 22mpg.

Guest Lord Sward

One has bought a V6 Tdi VW Amarok. I'm waiting to see what goes wrong with that. I can't imagine it was even slightly cheap.

When I worked for a VAG outfit there was one of these parked-up awaiting a part on VOR.  It was in so long, we moved premises and it had to come with us.  Then I resigned and it was still there.  VAG SHITE.

90s Hilux seems like it'd be a good option unless rust gets them too.

How terrible is a Great Wall?  There's a dealer nearby and I do see the odd one or two about, I can't imagine they set the world on fire mind.

My friend is still trying to sell his '99 3.1TD Jeep Grand Cherokee but I imagine that doesn't tick too many boxes.  It is auto and has working aircon though!

This has quarter of a million miles on it. It also has 30 stamps in service book. Probably 2nd class postage stamps but better than nothing.

The seller also has a Dave numbers user name

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Hilux-2-4-Turbo-D4WD-Pick-Up-2000-Regd-MOT-12-17-1-Former-Keeper-/263067935993?hash=item3d401224f9:g:mVUAAOSwi8VZWRCg

I don't like the way that Hilux smells......

"ideal for export" and the reg number hidden....I would bet that the phrase "excessive corrosion within 30cm of...." makes several appearances over the last few years.

Single cab is far from ideal too, I would like some storage space in the cabin.

Also....have ebay changed the thing you used to be able to do to get a reg number....click on the Get Vehicle Info link and decode part of the url...? I havent seen that for a while.

I have been looking at Delicas but it seems like pot luck on condition. Poor MPG isnt toooooo much of an issue, but I think these are beyond poor and into terrible.

I have been looking at Great Walls too....I am no bufty, but I really do like the look of this metallic pink one.

They are still too salty though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-13-GREAT-WALL-STEED-2-0-TD-S-4X4-DCB-4D-141-BHP-DIESEL-/302260735586?hash=item466024ce62:g:wiUAAOSwf~9ZaVeL

s-l1600.jpg

Cavcraft...thanks, but with hindsight I think I will pass on Freelanders for now. While they are great cars ( no, really, they actually are) they just cant be relied upon long term as my only work vehicle, and I dont want to have to keep a different 4x4 on hand as a backup car...I am paying out my arse on multiple insurance policies these days and need to reduce the fleet.

I think its going to have to be a pickup of some kind as a replacement for the Mazda.

Hello? ECP? Can you give me a price for a set of brake discs for a.....a....uh....never mind. *click*

Don't buy a Navara,please.The L200 is ok but a bit soft.As you found out, the B2500/Ford Ranger also not great and heavy on fuel.Hilux 2.5 D4D is excellent as long as the chassis is ok and with good mpg but the older 2.4 is very thirsty - around 23mpg and around 17 towing. The Isuzu DMax is good although a lot seem to have been sold with drug dealer type wheels and stickers.Strange, because the cabs are very plain old-school Japanese inside.The Vauxhall Brava/Isuzu TF 2.5 are tough and very good on fuel(sometimes over 35mpg)As mentioned above ,SSangyong seem surprisingly good.

See, thats the problem there with just picking stuff from ebay....both those Navaras above have MOT history of structural welding over the last few years. Once its started on these things, they are done. The chassis on all these 4x4s like to rot from the inside outwards so its a never ending battle. Best to get one thats never been welded, which suggests previous owners have taken the care to either waxoyl it or at least give it a clean every now and then.

The ssangyong pickup has an almost pefect MOT history, but I couldnt spend that much on a car I hate the look of so badly.