Improbable MPG Figures - Post Yours

Broadsword

I was going to take our X300 on this trip, but I couldn't get the air con working. That seems to do just over 30 mpg on a run. Given it was 37 degrees with a wind like a blast furnace, I'm glad I'm in the air conditioned Volvo. Anyway after tanking up it seems the 60 mpg is true at least on the trip across France. Crossing over to Spain now it's getting a bit more hilly so consumption is bound to suffer.

I reset the trip computer om my Range Rover when I bought it 11 years ago and it is reading an average of 15.2mpg ( but we know these computers can be a little optimistic).

Steve

You might find it's not averaging out over the entire 11 years. My Peugeot 2008 trip computer stopped reading at something like 4312 miles (an odd number but might mean something in KM) and it was clear that the average MPG was only taking the last few hundred miles as data.

60mpg from the Mk3 Astra dizzler on a recent trip over to Holland.

63mpg out of the Metro when I participated in an economy run years ago.  That was fun...

10mpg from the now Six-cyl S2 Daimler Sovereign.  That was on collection day and I ran out of fuel!  Idle was fast, AED was blanked off, and it was running very rich.

Guest Hooli

I used to get 19-20mpg from a 3.2 XJ40, nowdays I have 29.3mpg showing on the Saab 2.3t auto.

Bike is anything from 30 to 53mpg depending how I ride it, seems ok for a 1402cc lump. If I stick to 80mph on a long run it'll do almost 48mpg.

Usually around 35mpg now, up from 32 initially but this is mostly four four-mile trips each day.

Just clocked 500 miles, mostly motorway to Abbots Ripton (near Huntingdon) from Washington (near Newcastle).

Trip computer reckoned 48.6 but brimming it 50.1mpg.

Tank still had just over 1/4 in it.

2003 C5 2.0 HD1 110bhp (allegedly). 217,000+ miles on the clock.

Regularly get indicated 65mpg from the Clio, sometimes 72mpg on a run and once got 75mpg! This from a 15 year old Clio diesel, but I do drive like an old maid when I am paying for the fuel. I have been known to drive the company vans much faster than my own cars, but not now tey have trackers!

The Dacia gets 59mpg indicated, which seems pretty resaonable for a bigger, brand new car.

Moped roughly 50mpg, but all short journeys, all at full throttle (so 25mph!)

2cv about 40mpg I think, but it does not get much use.

I know the trip computers are only a guide, but I think they are fairly accurate. Obviously this does not apply to moped or 2cv - even the fuel guage isn't particularly accurate on either of them!

Mrs BN's have both been 1.2s. I find the 'facelift' one to be a step backwards in every respect. It does have a glovebox lid now though.

My wife's is superb, a proper supermini and what Fiat does best. Build quality is good (for the price bracket) and it is brilliant to drive. Couldn't ask for more to be honest.

Don't think i've ever bettered manufacturer quotes, but memorable:

Jeep Cherokee, 1998 S, new (for purposes of new, I mean had from new and within a couple of years old, not knackered) - 32mpg on a run delivering computers from Scotland to bits of the UK including doing the Woodhead Pass in snow, but primarily in 2WD. Also first time I sustained a trip-computer 4mpg for over a mile, flooring it up a hill.

VW Golf GTi Mk 2 - 8V 5 door, Digifant. (130,000 miles) Routine average 44.1mpg. Previous owner had got the trip computer to 27mpg average. I tried driving as fast as I possibly could up the A7 from Hawick to Edinburgh. Result was 47mpg (verified with fillup, but the computer was very accurate). When I sold it I decided to see what the best I could get on the computer was by being miserly, but not idiotic, and I got it to 52mpg.

Mitsubishi Carisma GDi (new) - usually gave 42mpg, not bad for a car that would do 90 down the Coldstream road 5-up. Orange light came on, reset trip computer - got 52mpg while nervously getting it to Jedburgh's station from Otterburn...

Citroen C3 1.6 HDi Airdream+ (new) - routine 65mpg. Mad-dashes dropped it to 50mpg. Attempted maximum economy/adhering to legal limits from Leics. to Newcastle - got 72mpg and very bored. I remember the manufacturer claim was 85mpg.

Did get my E320CDi (W210, straight six - OM616? I forget which is which, not the V6 and not the E300) - with 112,000 on the clock up to 50mpg but it was usually closer to 40.

Chrysler 300C Hemi - another trip computer in USGs, this car gave me 34mpg on the motorway in real gallons - was better at 85 than 70, multi-displacement system was good. Routine driving was 27mpg. And this was a car which I did not hang about in, but I am very chilled in towns, don't race from lights or anything.

Most shocking cars:

New Beetle Cabriolet - new - 30mpg average. That's what I get from my SLKs (I keep trying to push the 230K to 40mpg on long runs, but it can't quite get there and then it's quite thirsty in stop-start).

MX5 1.6 - 28mpg. That was shocking. Also utterly hopeless on the motorway above 80mph. Still would for country lanes though.

And I couldn't quite defeat the prodigious thirst of the 500 SEC, even with the driving style I have that lets me get good economy from others. All the driving techniques/habits in the world can't defeat a 5.0 V8, 4-speed old-tech slushbox and well over 2 tonnes of car. Reckon I'd have got a 5-speeder up to 25mpg though. I got the XJS up to 17.1 average and on one run, over 20 on the computer (soon eradicated by towns).

My wife's is superb, a proper supermini and what Fiat does best. Build quality is good (for the price bracket) and it is brilliant to drive. Couldn't ask for more to be honest.

The first one (2010) was very good but she wore it out. This one (2016) is inferior in every respect - lousy seats, terrible build and emissions-strangled engine. I don't know how they've done it but it rides AND handles terribly now.

With the old one, if it was in front of mine on the drive I'd probably use it for a short journey. With this one I get SWMBO to move it.

I've just been to East London and back (605 mile round trip) in my 1997 V70 TDI Manual.

Aircon on all the way back, and loaded to the roof with student house stuff coming back as well as 2 of us int he front seats both ways.

Played a bit of a game, and by the time we got back it was showing 67mpg. As I'd only used 2/3 tank I filled up anyway to see what it actually was. Bang on 10 gallons, used the same pump I'd used before setting off and everything. It also crossed over 230,000 miles last week....

my 215k 1997 v70 tdi auto does swindon - exeter return on 4 gallons if i drive (on cruise) at 60mph. Its almost exactly a 250 mile trip. Same ballpark.

My new Xantia has a non functioning fuel gauge so I rely on the odometer for fuel calculations.

Averaged 54 mpg over 420 odd miles of motorway/ motorway traffic/town driving before I felt the need to put more in.

Didn't run out. 

FUEL LIGHT ROULETTE FTW

I just worked out that my Xantia HDi averaged 52mpg when I went down to RantingYoof's house back in March (I think it was March?)

Most of that was done at an indicated 85mph on the motorways (while still being overtaken by seemingly everybody else). It seems to run on thin air when I drive it normally.

Ok, I win.

Typically get 72-74mpg per tank out the mk1 Insight. Normal motorway speeds and lots of shitty M25 and M1 traffic. Lowest one-way I've managed was 59mpg and that involved hacking the living shit out of it. Highest one-way has been 114mpg but that was a woeful 50mph lean burn all the way from Milton Keynes to Heathrow. It's quite easy to get that car pulling in numbers way over what Honda said it could do.

Anglia 32-35mpg

Ami about the same, though got 41mpg out of it on the run to RRG last year.

I've just apparently averaged 43.12 in the mondeo. Mainly door to door driving with the ac on but also a run to Nottingham and back and a midnight run up to Sutton. Not bad at all. My ex had a mondeo 1.8 that was written off many moons back and I can remember her saying it was better on fuel than the vec c that replaced it

My 1.8 low tech diesel Kangoo, (V reg), did 46 mpg on the first tank full, brim to brim. I didn't drive it hard but didn't nurse it either. On the second tank I tried harder, aiming for a 10% improvement, I got it, it did 50mpg, brim to brim. With all my work stuff in and the fact it's mixed driving I'm pretty pleased with that.

The first one (2010) was very good but she wore it out. This one (2016) is inferior in every respect - lousy seats, terrible build and emissions-strangled engine. I don't know how they've done it but it rides AND handles terribly now.

With the old one, if it was in front of mine on the drive I'd probably use it for a short journey. With this one I get SWMBO to move it.

Ours is a 2016 facelift model (pop plus/ star whatever they call it), seats are amazingly comfy. I suffer massively due to arthritis in my spine and am very picky about seats and they are brilliant. The engine is not massively powerful but very nippy. Ride is typical small car but not bad and handling is brilliant, reminds me of my old minis. Our drive is wide enough for several cars side by side so we can choose which one to take and We now use it for all but the longest journeys. Build quality and panel fit is better than any small car my wife has ever had, including VW and (older) Audi offerings.

Can only think yours is either a different model or a Friday afternoon car.

My 1.8 low tech diesel Kangoo, (V reg), did 46 mpg on the first tank full, brim to brim. I didn't drive it hard but didn't nurse it either. On the second tank I tried harder, aiming for a 10% improvement, I got it, it did 50mpg, brim to brim. With all my work stuff in and the fact it's mixed driving I'm pretty pleased with that.

1.9 and yes they are remarkably good on fuel even when loaded!

And so on the subject of improbable, I recently dropped the tyre pressures to lower the amount of tyre noise on my longer journeys. I was expecting a bit of a drop in mpg, but this morning it's just rattled off just over 82mpg in the rain with the lights on.

image.jpg

It is recalibrated to count in miles, though it still displays km because metric import. So that's 56 miles and 18.1 miles per litre = 82mpg.

Ours is a 2016 facelift model (pop plus/ star whatever they call it), seats are amazingly comfy. I suffer massively due to arthritis in my spine and am very picky about seats and they are brilliant. The engine is not massively powerful but very nippy. Ride is typical small car but not bad and handling is brilliant, reminds me of my old minis. Our drive is wide enough for several cars side by side so we can choose which one to take and We now use it for all but the longest journeys. Build quality and panel fit is better than any small car my wife has ever had, including VW and (older) Audi offerings.

Can only think yours is either a different model or a Friday afternoon car.

1200 Lounge, worst built new car I've ever seen in years and, got to say, the ones I looked at when I took it in for service were probably worse in terms of fit and finish. Mrs BN has had various new Audis, MBs and Volvos in the past and was genuinely pleased with the first one.

I have a nasty arthritic condition too, the old one was fine for maybe 25 miles but I try to avoid going anywhere in this one - the seats are a definite downgrade from before. By contrast I did 400 miles in a day recently in my Kia without a twinge and would do the same in the DS if I wasn't convinced it would explode.

What really annoys me is that the reaction when she test drove the facelift car was 'not as nice as mine' but she STILL bought one. At least she's agreed that as soon as it's out of warranty / we get fed up with taking it back to have it fixed she'll have "something better" (her words).

The drive annoys me too, park tidily and I won't have to ask you to move....... there is room for ten cars out there so why am I blocked in......aaargh!

Glad you like yours, I can only think you may well have liked the pre-facelift ones more.

My Saab 2.3 turbo has only managed an average of 26.4mpg since I've had it. I do mostly long journies in it, cruise control set at 65 mph.

The 994cc AX has done 400 miles since I got it, but yet to fill it up yet, but think that's doing well above 50 mpg

The Piaggio Xevo 400 regularly manages 88 mpg, and I've acheived 92mpg more than once. Used for commuting 120 miles a day, but all except 8 are dual carriageway or motorway miles. My 125cc Yamaha Vity managed 104 mpg on a 900 mile flat out thrash to Dusseldorf and back.

Had a Lexus LS400 MKIII that would return 30 mpg when gently cruising along, but that's when they are at their best.

EDIT-Just brimmed the AX, and works out at 53.41 mpg (always at the top end of its rev range too).