Improbable MPG Figures - Post Yours

Broadsword

This was finally achieved with our 2003 V70 D5 manual today. It was done over a couple of months building up the average from around 50 mpg when we got the car off Drum. It's mostly mixed driving but the trick is to use cruise control all the time in addition to sensible driving, reading the roads ahead. Admittedly we are cruising across France at the moment and 61 mpg will be achieved soon. This is with the air con on and with three adults and luggage. Anyway I felt it was noteworthy enough to put here.

Put your best MPG figures here. How many have bettered the manufacturer specs?

post-20621-0-53020900-1500385624_thumb.jpg

manual calc, best I've done in my 1.6 petrol duratec Fusion was 49.8mpg across 340 miles.

I've stopped recording it now, but across first 12.5k miles did 41.8mpg

BTW, real mpg on a modern Fiesta 100bhp (same as mine) ecoboost - 46.2 (source: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/fiesta-2013/10t-ecoboost-100). Not that much in it, innit?

Thrashed the bike to the stop in Germany so 100 moh flat for 30-40 miles was getting 55 mpg 

Sub 90 cruising as normal here and 63-65

Does 58-60 to from work 4 mile round trip

Have seen 73 from it Honda clain it can do 80

I'm not that bored and wouldn't sit at 48-50 to get that lol

A shame I got no photograph but Supernaut can verify that when I collected him from Birmingham airport a couple of months back I had achieved 43mpg on the journey there, which was 50mph average speed camera + M6 at normal motorway speeds.

I went back via the A45/M45 and the overall 80 mile roundtrip came in at 41mpg or thereabouts.

From a 2.0 20v five cylinder petrol car with turbo!

EDIT - yes, yes, 5-10% pinch-of-salt margin of course.

Larger unstressed engines can throw up pretty amazing results. However, SnrYoof's XF is probably the most remarkable. A 240hp 3.0d V6 married to an 8spd autobox which is at around 1600rpm at 70mph. His record is 58mpg on a combined 250 mile round trip mostly consisting of motorways and dual carriageways...pretty extraordinary for a two tonne car.

Computers lie

61 mpg will be achieved

Brim to brim you'll find you can knock 20% off that rewarding figure

I've a 2.4 5-pot Alfa Wagon from 2002 (therefore near enough 2003 D5 equiv.) but get 43 whatever I do

No-one should believe fuel computers.  Typically 10% out I reckon.  

Running on petrol, I get 50 mpg+ out of my geriatric Astra.  On LPG rather less.  Have seen 55 mpg but need to drive like grandad for that.

The Kia one is pretty accurate I think. It shows 62mpg since I got it and in just over 5800 miles I've put in 420 litres of fuel. I'm not at all obsessive about mpg it just fits the bill of being very economical for a decently-sized car. That's just driving normally with no conscious effort to save fuel but it's always amusing when it drops into electric mode in traffic and I know I'm not using any petrol at all.

BTW, my erstwhile Volvo V70 sometimes used to show mpg like the one above. It would also show numbers like 3. Like most things on that car the fuel computer was junk.

I've just been to East London and back (605 mile round trip) in my 1997 V70 TDI Manual.

Aircon on all the way back, and loaded to the roof with student house stuff coming back as well as 2 of us int he front seats both ways.

Played a bit of a game, and by the time we got back it was showing 67mpg. As I'd only used 2/3 tank I filled up anyway to see what it actually was. Bang on 10 gallons, used the same pump I'd used before setting off and everything. It also crossed over 230,000 miles last week. In contrast,he last time I did it in my Rangie on gas I got 18mpg, and the time before that in an S60 D5 auto it was 42mpg but that did come back at speed with a bike on the roof...

My wife's 500 has just done a 70+ mpg tank, mostly motorway but 50miles of town driving. Still can't believe it's doing that as it seems above the quoted figures.

How do you manage that? The old ( good ) one used to do about 50 in Mrs BN's hands, the new one seems to do about 35!

My previous Rover P4 with a 2.5 tdi, 3.54 diff and overdrive did almost 50 mpg. It's replacement has a 2.5 4 cylinder, uses more twice the amount of LPG. It has a freewheel instead of an overdrive so wins in the novelty stakes. Costs about the same to run, nicer to be in but quite a bit slower. The gearbox is less likely to break too so I won't be going back to the evil derv.

Long term average on my X300's computer reads 19mpg. Actual figure as tracked by me on Fuelly is 16.5mpg. About 15% out.

You must do quite a bit of city driving - or be faster than me!

This is my long term average readout on my XJ40. It has been reasonably accurate when checked against petrol receipts.

35211066223_9bc683eba8_h.jpgP1130177 by *D*B*, on Flickr