Post Apocalyptic Shite

D Spares & Tyres

Merc W124 300D. As long as you can find a manual one to be able to start it without 12v. Oil-lubricated injection pump for fuelling on any old oil that will burn. Ideal.

They really really don't like starting without heat if there's no 12v supply for the glow plugs, holding a burning rag over the inlet manifold whilst rolling downhill could be interesting.

^^^ has the prolapse started in Ohio while i was at work today?

I nicked it from a Jalopnik article about the background cars in a new film being, well, filmed, called Ready Player One.

It's actually being filmed in Birmingham, as they must have decided it looked post-apocalyptic enough without any more work needed. :D

Plus, the Avantime is prime shite.

I'm sticking with my 305 van. XUD and veg and stuff, and Dodgytom's got lots of spares, and lives just up the road, and he's got hills for starting on ( just lying around everywhere) and I can pay for parts with Badger beer that I shall liberate from Tesco coz its just up the road and all ,and vans are good for filling up with liberated essentials and stuff, and its got to be better than a Lagu.............

Indenor diesel may be the way to go, gear driven OHV, sturdy old school diesel but a lot of them use Lucas CAV injection pumps.

What if there's a nuclear winter? IDI diesels need a lot of heat to start. 

I'm a big fan of the VM 425 OHV engine, again gear driven OHV, but always with Bosch pumps. They have a reputation for HGF but I think that's from being overstressed in Range Rovers and Jeeps. 

Rover 825D pls.

I'm thinking I need a 4x4, roads will probably be impassable.

Will need to have plenty of load space for looting

Needs to have easily sourced spares

Japanese 4x4s mostly have the same stud pattern so spare wheels could be easily found. Landrovers common too.

So the only issue left to ponder is clutch cables as with knackered hydraulics you wouldn't be able to bump start it

So I think I'm going for either a Hilux or an old Land Rover although I'm not sure if they have cable clutches

No more cars being made/imported and having to make do and mend? Look at Cuba and whats happened there.

Admittedly nowadays some of it is for the tourist trade, but it still applies as it never used to entirely be due to that.