shite revival car help please?

groovylee

Hi Guys,

i have a bit of a weird request......  recently whilst marshalling at the festival of speed, i managed to bag myself a pair of tickets for the goodwood revival.  Ive never managed to attend this one in the past, and i'm really looking forward to it, as is mrs Groovy, who is now researching period frocks etc for the whole 'experience'.

so, i'm thinking that driving down in the passat is probably not the best idea to complete the effect :-P

what would you guys do?  I'm not planning to hire an expensive car for the day, but im wondering if there are any suggestions out there to buy something 'shite' but of the 50s/60s period, so that i can sell it on again after. maybe........ :-D

all suggestions welcome!

cheers,

Lee

Before you spend a shit load of money consider that the car is never looked at again all day - parked in a "classic only " car park, I will grant you but once you have gone in the field, left it there and gone through the main gate you won't see it again all day.   

Don't want to piss on your chips because it is a fantastic day out but wonder if  you  might want to use the money for something else as it can be an expensive day out as well..... 

Having said that, if you land one for next to nothing somehow - why not?   I think there is a pre-67 cut off on the actual classic car parking, by the way....

As others have said, it's not what you turn up in. Just go along and enjoy the day. I went in my shabby Dyane a year or so ago, but I might as well have gone in a bleedin' Nissan LEAF for all that mattered. Previously, I had attended the Revival in such period delights as a MINI diesel and a Saab 9-5. Oh and as a marshall, you may well know that heading out down the back of the circuit gets you away from the hideous crowds.

Cheers for the responses guys.  after much ebay searching, and reading the comments about the car park, I think you're right - it could get expensive, and is ultimately pointless lol

we can always go down in the Ranger with the roof off :mrgreen:

silly idea shelved 8)

now i just need to figure out what outfit i am going to wear.......

^ I'd concur regarding parking the car and not seeing it again until you drive away. However I'd also add that the queues for getting in can be horrendous, so if you have a motorcycle then that'll work better.  Whatever you do don't take a vehicle that doesn't work when sitting in traffic ie. is prone to overheating ..inside the engine bay or inside the car !  

I went down a few years ago with a paraplegic friend and another good old buddy who lives near Winchester. We stayed in a hotel nearby that town the night before and had a good slap up meal, and then after a cooked breakfast were within striking distance the following morning ..so as to avoid a 4am start.  It was a great weekend. 

For a fella the clothes can be easy ..oversize bags with braces, long sleeved shirt, flat cap, sunglasses, and a cravat. oh.. and comfortable polished shoes ! 

Btw., so much to photograph if your into that, so spare batteries and sd card. 

Wish you & yours a great day.  8)

The reroof dress thing is easy, just dress like my Dad.

A couple of years ago Classic Land Rover magazine printed a picture of Fatha N's Series 1 at some OLLI Anniversary thing, with the caption: " This couple really got into the spirit of things, with their period fancy dress"

Needless to say, he and his Mrs were wearing their normal* clothes!