Rover 820 Vitesse, 1998, 197bhp turbo, 12 months MOT and lots of spares

mercedade

I've just got back from the test centre with a shiny new 12 month MOT, so I'm finally selling my Vitesse.

It's been the longest I've ever kept a car (5 years nearly) and I genuinely am gutted to be letting it go. However, I know it's time to move it on, I've got my ZT to keep me going, and there's just no space left for the Rover.

The car itself is here: http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10156

And recent pictures:

35939090586_d6fbe222e4_z.jpg

35809830042_8f057e8d46_z.jpg

35170330133_2025fb6475_z.jpg

35591557150_efe0ffc9ea_z.jpg

The write-up:

In my last 4 and bit years it's had a new clutch kit and slave cylinder, cambelt, 4 new tyres (last year's MOT treat), rear back box, cat, both complete sills including some inner sill reconstruction, plus Christ knows how many other smaller things.

Known faults -  drivers switch pack is dodgy (but someone is currently soldering me a good one, so he could just send it to you!), no air con (leak from pipework).

And bodywork.

The worst is the rear n/s arch, which is a horrible mess of filler and rust. None of this is going to cost you an MOT, but it definitely detracts from the look of it. Dozens of paints chips, blebs on doors, roof paint is a mess and so on.

Good points - both front wings are rust free, and it is mechanically absolutely, crazily spot on. It starts the first flick of the key, no cranking whatsoever, manual boost controller and boost gauge means it is particularly fast. K+N panel filter, Volvo expansion tank, genuine Rover headlight covers, replaced and rust proofed filler neck, braided Goodrich brake hoses all round.

With all the spares I've got for it (eg 2 x scuttle panels, random assortments of mirrors, temp sensors (new), boot struts), with 12 months MOT and a fair amount of history, I think I'll be looking for around the £700 mark, but I'm listening if that's wildly off course. For reference, the welding and tyres alone cost more than £500 last year. I'm not silly enough to think that I'll get back everything I've spent on it, nor that this is the finest example out there, but I do think you'll struggle to find a better driving one than this.

The 17'' Vitesse alloys are getting refurbished on Thursday. This probably seems silly now, but it's been booked in for a while and the wheels on the ZT were refurbed last year, so I can't even get them done. So this Vitesse will actually be sold with recent tyres and newly refurbed wheels.

Happy to provide any pictures or more info - I'll also be advertising this around the place as I do need to get shift on with selling this thing.

Christ, those advisories!

I think the rear discs have been advisories for as long as I've had the car, same goes for 'play in the steering'.

Brake pipes/fuel pipes etc just seemed to be par for the course.

I did feel a bit put out that he complimented the quality of the welding done last year (not by me, outside my skill zone), whilst at the same time giving a 'general rust' advisory, but I wasn't going to whinge too hard. He's got a job to do, and he did it well!

Christ, those advisories!

I think the rear discs have been advisories for as long as I've had the car, same goes for 'play in the steering'.

Brake pipes/fuel pipes etc just seemed to be par for the course.

I did feel a bit put out that he complimented the quality of the welding done last year (not by me, outside my skill zone), whilst at the same time giving a 'general rust' advisory, but I wasn't going to whinge too hard. He's got a job to do, and he did it well!

Fair play to him.

Pipes, Brakes and other - general maintenance.

I have owned my 820Si for fifteen years. First six years I always collected an advisory re play in the steering rack. Then no mention of it but attention turned into play in the lower arms. Steering rack not changed, lower arms not changed.Now gets a different advisory every year. Last was "Rust on the Sump" Cant see any.  I reckon it was pure a**e covering.

GLWTS. Tried selling my car on Gumtree last February. Got loads of emails from idiots not showing up to view the car and a few "I'll take it off your hands mate, as a favor. 100 quid innit". I wish people would not try and do me favors.

I still have the car and will weigh it in when the MoT expires in January. A big FU to all the idiots and congenital time wasters out there! I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did selling on Gumtree or Ebay.

I have owned my 820Si for fifteen years. First six years I always collected an advisory re play in the steering rack. Then no mention of it but attention turned into play in the lower arms. Steering rack not changed, lower arms not changed.Now gets a different advisory every year. Last was "Rust on the Sump" Cant see any.  I reckon it was pure a**e covering.

GLWTS. Tried selling my car on Gumtree last February. Got loads of emails from idiots not showing up to view the car and a few "I'll take it off your hands mate, as a favor. 100 quid innit". I wish people would not try and do me favors.

I still have the car and will weigh it in when the MoT expires in January. A big FU to all the idiots and congenital time wasters out there! I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did selling on Gumtree or Ebay.

What's wrong with it?  

I have an 800 itch to scratch at some point and the T-series is a lovely engine when all the oil stays inside.

What's wrong with it?  

I have an 800 itch to scratch at some point and the T-series is a lovely engine when all the oil stays inside.

Buy mine. 

This one is oil tight. 

I mean, obviously not 100% because T series, but it absolutely does not leave a drip/mark/puddle of any description. It really it is the best T-series I've had (my 220 GTi wept like a widow).

Happy to talk on price a little.

Phil_lihp wrote "Whats wrong with it"?

This is the same response I had the last time I advertised it. There is actually very little wrong with it, apart from being 25 years old.  But it does not have a leather interior or air con and the interior is tired.. The paint is past its best and I am crap at paint. The head gasket was replaced last year and the engine is now oil tight. It is reliable and drives well. I advertised it for  £200 with 11 months test. I had lots of emails and phone calls but no follow up.

Thirty years ago, I had a really bad experience when I sold a car to someone and it broke down a week later. (The coil died) I was threatened with a shotgun and my family harassed. So it gets weighed in next January when the MoT expires. No hassle that way from people who expect the moon on a stick. It doesn't help to get too attached to material objects, it just makes things harder and clutters up ones life. At the end of the day, a car is just a consumer item.

So it gets weighed in next January when the MoT expires. No hassle that way from people who expect the moon on a stick. It doesn't help to get too attached to material objects, it just makes things harder and clutters up ones life. At the end of the day, a car is just a consumer item.

Yo Tommy. I reckon I could rustle up a couple of hundred by Jan next year. No, I don't want the moon on a stick and yes I will collect/follow up. I collect cars for others on here so why not myself.

Any pics of your 820Si? Rover 800 licker/apologist here.