No MOT= No insurance?

Lankytim

I've actually been through this one! In 2014 I wrote my Land Rover off by driving into a Merc Sprinter. Any way turned out my MOT had been out for 3 weeks. Not even the traffic cops new if I'd be insured without an MOT. So I was given a ticket for careless driving and they said they had to make further enquiries as to no MOT and insurance legalities.

Much worry on my part but next day police phoned me up to tell me the MOT didn't affect the insurance so no further charges were coming my way!

Also the insurance company paid out nearly £9000 without a quibble despite telling them the Landie wasn't MOT'd at time of accident.

So even traffic cops are not sure and had to ask further when faced with this one! End result was 3 points and fine for careless and £100 for no MOT. Also rebuilt Defender.

The state I live in doesn't have any MOT or even emissions inspection.

Weirdly there aren't cars falling to bits and careening into other cars... but damn, there are some dodgy looking things out there driving - especially as winter beaters. The police stop people if there cars look too bad.

Which reminded me of this...

post-20944-0-90760200-1500337859_thumb.jpg

If you did hit someone in an unroadworthy car, expect to get sued up the swanny though.

What's worse, some states don't even require insurance...

Utter rubbish. Having no mot can be dealt with at the roadside by fixed penalty, and the driver - user can proceed after being given a ticket so long as the vehicle isn't clearly in a dangerous condition. If there is insurance in place, no matter what the circumstances are, third party will always be covered, which is the minimum required by law. I'm not running your friend down... but something doesn't add up.

^^^ this, someone was swearing blind on Facebook that he had been told you didn't need insurance when going for a prebooked MOT as no insurance co will cover an unmotd vehicle.

What nitwit said that!

You can drive to mot testing centre with no mot or tax. There must be a policy of insurance in place to cover the vehicle, or the person driving the vehicle (trade policy covering driver).

Hore shit, I reckon. It probably suits the OB for people to think a car with no MOT is automatically uninsured, but it's not actually true.

Precisely.

As has already been mentioned, no MOT doesn't affect your insurer's obligations to meet any third party claims. If you had an accident BECAUSE the car was unroadworthy, they might have grounds to try and recover the money from you. 

Most insurers will even pay out for the un-MOT'd car. The bit of paper doesn't actually affect the value of the car.