Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No MOT= No insurance?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   Tam

Tam

• Full Members
  • 316 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationKirrie Hills

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:06 PM

I've actually been through this one! In 2014 I wrote my Land Rover off by driving into a Merc Sprinter. Any way turned out my MOT had been out for 3 weeks. Not even the traffic cops new if I'd be insured without an MOT. So I was given a ticket for careless driving and they said they had to make further enquiries as to no MOT and insurance legalities.
Much worry on my part but next day police phoned me up to tell me the MOT didn't affect the insurance so no further charges were coming my way!
Also the insurance company paid out nearly £9000 without a quibble despite telling them the Landie wasn't MOT'd at time of accident.
So even traffic cops are not sure and had to ask further when faced with this one! End result was 3 points and fine for careless and £100 for no MOT. Also rebuilt Defender.
  • The Moog, Junkman, NorfolkNWeigh and 3 others like this

64 P6 2000                  PICS   

74 P6 3500s                PICS

75 P6 3500                  PICS

92 R8 214 Si                PICS

03 90 Def.                    PICS

03 75 CDT                   PICS

04 25 TD Lagoon        PICS    

04 ZT 135+                  PICS

04 ZR 1O5+ Lagoon    PICS

05 ZT 135+ Lagoon     PICS

05 ZR 105                    PIC

#32 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 37,890 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

Score.

Sod MoT etc. pp...

1967 Renault 16 TL............................................now with floor and MoT

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked

1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

#33 OFFLINE   Roobarb

Roobarb

• Full Members
  • 130 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationMinnesnowta US of A

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:27 AM

The state I live in doesn't have any MOT or even emissions inspection.

Weirdly there aren't cars falling to bits and careening into other cars... but damn, there are some dodgy looking things out there driving - especially as winter beaters. The police stop people if there cars look too bad.

Which reminded me of this...
IMG_1674.JPG

If you did hit someone in an unroadworthy car, expect to get sued up the swanny though.

What's worse, some states don't even require insurance...

Outlaw is just posh Ratlook

#34 ONLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Staff
  • 35,360 posts
  • 125 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:33 AM

Hore shit, I reckon. It probably suits the OB for people to think a car with no MOT is automatically uninsured, but it's not actually true.

• robinmasters and cpjitservices like this
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#35 OFFLINE   Faker

Faker

• Full Members
  • 1,265 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationN.I.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

Utter rubbish. Having no mot can be dealt with at the roadside by fixed penalty, and the driver - user can proceed after being given a ticket so long as the vehicle isn't clearly in a dangerous condition. If there is insurance in place, no matter what the circumstances are, third party will always be covered, which is the minimum required by law. I'm not running your friend down... but something doesn't add up.
  • cpjitservices likes this
reliving my youth

#36 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,810 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

^^^ this, someone was swearing blind on Facebook that he had been told you didn't need insurance when going for a prebooked MOT as no insurance co will cover an unmotd vehicle.

#37 OFFLINE   Faker

Faker

• Full Members
  • 1,265 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationN.I.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

^^^ this, someone was swearing blind on Facebook that he had been told you didn't need insurance when going for a prebooked MOT as no insurance co will cover an unmotd vehicle.

What nitwit said that!

You can drive to mot testing centre with no mot or tax. There must be a policy of insurance in place to cover the vehicle, or the person driving the vehicle (trade policy covering driver).
  • hennabm likes this
reliving my youth

#38 OFFLINE   robinmasters

robinmasters

• Full Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:06 PM

Hore shit, I reckon. It probably suits the OB for people to think a car with no MOT is automatically uninsured, but it's not actually true.

Precisely.

As has already been mentioned, no MOT doesn't affect your insurer's obligations to meet any third party claims. If you had an accident BECAUSE the car was unroadworthy, they might have grounds to try and recover the money from you. 

Most insurers will even pay out for the un-MOT'd car. The bit of paper doesn't actually affect the value of the car. 

I used to have a signature, but now I don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users