The past is a different land. aka Fries n Mayo n beer.

castros_bro

Once upon a time there was a little isolated island marooned off the coast of a continent. A Continent where lots of people live and lots of thing happen and there be Dragons Friets n Mayo n beer. A continent where I used to live.

Pulp Fiction Quote

VINCENT:  But you know what they put on french fries in Holland instead of ketchup?
JULES: What?
VINCENT: Mayonnaise.
JULES: Goddamn!
VINCENT: I seen ’em do it. And I don’t mean a little bit on the side of the plate, they fuckin’ drown ’em in it.

Yes, mayo is a fries’ best friend in the lowlands. The two share a beautiful romance and can be found together all over town. Sometimes mayo’s cheaper dubious cousin, frietsauce,  makes an (unwanted) appearance with its unknown ingredients, but for the most part friets + mayo live happily every after.

Of course if you wanna blend in with the locals you can impress your friends with your mad skills of the wide-array of uniquely Dutch toppings and sauces. Below is our handy cheat-sheet:

• Friet met satésaus: fries with peanut sauce
  • Friet speciaal: fries with mayonnaise, (curry) ketchup and onions
  • Patatje Joppie: fries with the “top-secret” Joppiesaus (actually just a mixture of mayonnaise, ketchup and spices)
  • Patatje oorlog: this one varies slightly by region but is most often served as fries with peanut sauce, mayonnaise and raw chopped onions. Oorlog the Dutch word for war, is a reference to the sloppy mess this dish entails
  • Kapsalon: fries with kebab or shawarma  and sometimes cheese

Of course all of the above are a long way from my dear old Poutine, but I have been known to enjoy the occasional friet speciaal after a long night out…;)

So yesterday bought some Friets oil (guaranteed for use at the Low Countries mandatory 2nd cooking temp of 190C) and poured it into this cooker.

post-7239-0-84102900-1500280689_thumb.jpg

and  (just pausing to get on a Boatie McBoatFriet)   set sail to the accursed  Foreignshire.

post-7239-0-59391100-1500281555_thumb.jpg

To Be Continued.......................

Calais

take Rue du Four A Chaux - D245 to A16

A16 to E40 to Oostendsebaan N33  Gistel  Belgie

E40 Exit 5-Gistel

N33 exit N358 Groenedijkstaat in Oudenburg

Bikers Loft Groenedijk

Groenedijkstraat 5a, 8460 Oudenburg, Belgium

even the sign has it's own Friets

post-7239-0-99507100-1500284462_thumb.jpg

post-7239-0-93657300-1500284613_thumb.jpg

https://sites.google.com/grd.be/eng

https:[email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>,2.9848725,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6db481c3fcf34180!8m2!3d51.1918954!4d2.9848725

A cavern of a bar decorated like hard Rock Café used to be, the whole place bookable for 20+ people. Live music, outside seating with massive barbeque, 27 "hotel" rooms, indoor parking for motorbikes next to the rooms and a bike museum with personal tour by the owner (ex rock musio) who appeared  on this (sans helmet).  Then 160 cyclists arrived on vintage pushbikes lot in period costume.

post-7239-0-31855000-1500284955_thumb.jpg

Did I mention a motorbike museum?