Sunroofs

sierraman

I love sunroofs, really like the look of them as well, dont know why but I think they improve the look of a car and in years gone by a sunroof was a sign you had at least a midrange spec for bragging rights lol

I dont really use air con because it gives me a headache after a while, and i dislike having a window open for the buffering reasons already mentioned, so I end up too warm and sweaty on a sunny day because i wont use the air con.

I remember my old man had a Chrysler Neon with a "factory" electric sunroof which was neither the tilt and remove, or the tilt and slide into the roof skin, it tilted and then slid back on the outside of the body, but for being factory was quite crude, it had a generic webasto operating booklet in the handbook pack, no sunblind, and a big beige plastic trim round the outside of the hole in the headlining.

Think we had a Ford Orion and a mk3 Astra with factory tilt/slides, the Orions sunblind had louvres so if it was too bright sunlight and the sunroof was tilted the sunblind could be closed but still let fresh air in. 

I had a Pug 206 with the massive electric sunroof which was about half the length of the roof and sat raised up on black rails and when slid back it covered the rear half of the roof metal skin and left a massive open space.

Then had one of those factory tilt and removed jobs on a mk2 04 plate Clio, mines never once rattled or leaked like everyone says they do, however i only ever had it tilted, i never removed it and i doubt the only previous owner before me ever did because it was that stiff trying to remove it so i just decided fuck removing it cos ill likely smash the glass and itll leak and rattle forever more now. 

Wish they were as common now as they used to be back then. They are about one of the only reasons if I could afford it and liked any new cars that id actually buy a brand new car so i could spec the optional sunroof. 

funnily enough i was talking about this on the radio this morning as Ive just bought another ZT and it has the optional sunroof. Cant remember the last car I owned that had one but everyone in the office expressed jealousy that they didnt have one on their much newer cars.

they should really become a thing again.

I'm in..  I love the things, although tbh I find the simple glass ones least trouble.   I will be fitting one to my car asap because...    I also like the look of a glass roof panel, and  I like more natural light inside a small car.  I like seeing the canopy of trees and blue skies, and I like the way it helps demist the screen. I like to open it for fresh when it's lightly raining, and I like it being much quieter than side windows which open to road noise, noisy exhausts of moped, etc.,  and then I also like the lack of wind buffeting &/or swirling wind compared to opening a window.  

I drove a company Jetta at one time and that whole car pounded air pressure into the ear drums when any of the four side windows were opened. Black leather on black suede interior ..a beautiful top of the range model but terrible natural ventilation.

I have A/c on my Chrysler but very rarely use it , because it extracts moisture from the air, the fan is running, fuel consumption declines and vehicle acceleration is lost. A couple of years ago the unused but still spinning pump seized solid which stripped the alternator belt.  I was told to use the A/c once in a while to prevent this happening again.  

As per a previous comment - I also much prefer a sunroof to A/c.   It must however have a (opening) sun shade though, which also avoids passing under street lamps at night being like a strobe.  

Cutting a hole through the tinny roof skin on an Ami, and putting a framed window in it would only stiffen it :mrgreen:

When buying a simple glazed sunroof to fit into / onto my Ami  (I'm thinking used) ..how do I make sure I buy one with the right curvature.?  Do they come by overall dimensions + radius ?   

WANTED simple glass sunroof to fit my little Ami.   Thanks

Bfg.

I'm slightly spoiled here as the BX has a huge glass effort, which lets in loads of light and when opened it's like driving around in a convertible. It's undoubtedly one of the best aspects of the car. It does make anything without a sunroof feel dark and claustrophobic so I don't think I'll have another car without one.

The SD1's weird in that it has both a sunroof and air conditioning. Unfortunately the sunroof switch falls off when you try and use it and the air conditioning no longer works, so their presence is largely pointless.

I'm not sure what I dislike most - sunroofs, non column change manuals, or leather seats.

The likelyhood that I don't buy a car that has either of these attributes is high, despite I currently have

two cars with sunroofs (although one of them is not working) and one with leather.

Actually, sunroofs are acceptable, as long as they remain closed.

All three cars at chez Ghosty have a sunroof, all factory electric tilt/slide. I regularly have mine open, and the blind back if not - though under hard braking it closes. The blind is grotty too so it's better kept out of the way.

The A4's doesn't work, if you tilt it more than halfway it closes itself, and slide doesn't work at all.

Bini has a full size one, a reasonably rare option. Makes the car a lovely place to be.

I dislike them as I dislike anything that can be deleted from a car without stopping it working.

post-17481-0-90691400-1500310069_thumb.jpg

I will concede however that they are useful for bringing long things home but I have never owned a car with a sunroof without wishing for a plain piece of steel over my head. 

PS        Why are they "Moon Roof" in USA?

PPS       I hate convertibles as well.

I like them in anything that doesn't have air con, but in anything that has... pointless IMO. I used to use the sunroof in Mother_HH-R's car on the odd occasion I used to drive it as a bit of a novelty, but the air con is usually broken in it (just needs a regas M8... every year 'cos it only gets used on hot days).

I've never had an A/C fault in any of my cars but it's never switched off, set to face, cold and recirc all year round (saves being gassed by diesels in traffic).

You wouldn't expect the engine to work for twenty years without any maintenance but that's what people expect of sunroofs. Just a few minutes a year clearing the gutters, oiling the moving parts and a bit of vaseline on the seals is all it takes but nobody can be arsed. You reap what you sow.

I spoke to Webasto about a fabric sunroof for my old Jag S-type a two or three years ago .. £1200 if I recall, but I can't remember if that was with, or plus fitting..  Age does terrible things to one's ..er ? 

I do know though that the corners if the large aperture surround needed reinforcement which was welded in place. So perhaps it was £800 as SIC suggested, plus another £400 for fitting. 

I like a sunroof in theory. The reality though is often a world of water leaks and mould when buying stuff at our level. The MG ZT has one, the Rover 75 hasn't. Guess which car needed the carpets removing to dry out the inch of water underneath? (Now sorted and dry.) Drain tubes clear and re sealed, but I won't be opening it again any time soon in case it all starts again.

There is, of course, only one way to really enjoy a sunroof.   As part of a contrasting vinyl combo, of course.....

attachicon.gifDSCF4817.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4818.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4819.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4820.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4821.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4822.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4823.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4824.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4825.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4826.JPG

That Renault 12 looks the nuts but a Landcrab with a vinyl boot? Less so. I once had a Sienna brown Triumph 1300 with a beige vinyl roof and tan trim. T'was the brownest thing ever, but that's for another thread.

Full length sunroofs should be compulsory when you have red interior.

post-20743-0-01523300-1500407761_thumb.jpg

Red interiors should be compulsory full stop.