Unsellable 1984 Mk1 Carolton 2000 for sales, Fife, £500

nisfan

I think location has a large part to play in this. In areas of high population density (i.e. not Scotland), stuff sells fine. However when you are that far up, it is a long way to go for something. It has to be something you really want or extra special. Also cheap helps.

I've sold 3 cars on here very quickly with no hassle.

I think location has a large part to play in this. In areas of high population density (i.e. not Scotland), stuff sells fine. However when you are that far up, it is a long way to go for something. It has to be something you really want or extra special. Also cheap helps.

I've sold 3 cars on here very quickly with no hassle.

Nail, head.

Location definitely can be an issue. One I suffer with as well, as I'm only a couple of hours from Birmingham. Folk do still seem to regard it as the middle of nowhere. When you're selling distinctly average motors, it can be problematic. I think that's why ROFFLEs can work so well. Location becomes less of an issue if the investment in the car is very low. Mind you, I've sold plenty of cars to Autoshiters, and that's always pleasurable too. Doesn't mean I haven't been left with cars that I REALLY want shot of, but just won't hook a buyer. It happens.

I was surprised this didn't sell, I was sorely tempted and only just managed to resist.

We are up against it with our location in the frozen north, but I have sold a couple to forumers on the wrong side of the border, so it does happen.

This is the problem, enthusiasts complain about cars getting banger raced but then they can’t commit to buying. A banger racer turns up with a wad of £20’s and it’s bought and they take the fucker away.

I’d either stick it on fleabay with a BIN of £750 to attract the drifters and cover your costs or auction it off the whatever the highest will pay, the ‘enthusiast’ or the banger racer.

Blaming people for not buying your car is a hiding to nothing. Enthusiasts often have no money or parking, because they HAVE already saved several cars. They're not all sitting at home with a huge pile of cash, trying to wind up people who are selling cars. Sometimes the right buyer is there, and sometimes they are not. 

"You can't save them all." But often the ones that should have been saved slip through the net.

Glad the Carlton has found a new home anyway, that's exactly the sort of car that is at risk of extinction because of its relative ordinariness.

It goes to whoever has the folding notes in their hand. What I’m saying is a lot of folks go ‘it’s a crying shame it’s gone to scrap when there’s only x number on the road’ but nobody puts their hand in their pocket. If it goes to someone who turns up with money in their hand then bangers it then you can’t complain.

Doesn't stop it being a crying shame! Let's take this Carlton as an example. I'd quite like a Carlton, but I didn't have the asking price and am currently already two cars above my self-imposed limit. I can't afford to insure any more cars, and don't have space for it, so I didn't buy it. But, I'm an enthusiast. An enthusiast can't save them all, because that's just physically impossible. It isn't because I'm not putting my hand in my pocket. It's because when I do, I only find pocket fluff.

You can’t do it all yourself. I got into this mindset a few years ago, albeit not about cars, but about allotments bizarrely enough.

I’d be sad if it reaches the depressing end of some bum with a hiab hoying it away, but what do you do if no one will give you a shilling on it.

You either need the patience of a saint, or you takes the money. I hate selling cars.