emissions and tax

bones96

It's only 2001- onwards cars that qualify. And then it's based on the the 'as-built' figure.... If you want 'cheap tax', best get that dirty polluting old car traded in for £1000 off a new Fiat Panda or similarly green car. :wink::roll::roll::evil:

That daft thing about the tax banding is, if they were to shift the banding on new cars to include those built after 2001 like they were originally going to, that'd make the tax on my Vel Satis £430 a year despite the fact that it can get nearly 50mpg driven sensibly. :roll:

That daft thing about the tax banding is, if they were to shift the banding on new cars to include those built after 2001 like they were originally going to, that'd make the tax on my Vel Satis £430 a year despite the fact that it can get nearly 50mpg driven sensibly. :roll:

Yeah but I think it only takes into account emissions not fuel economy.

Yeah but I think it only takes into account emissions not fuel economy.

Exactly and that's where it all becomes a load of balls. If it was a car that did half the MPG it does now but emitted 10% less CO2 the tax would be cheaper despite the fact it'd be using up the worlds energy resources at TWICE the rate. Thus the energy used and pollution caused in the manufacture and transportation of the fuel used would also be doubled. As servicing is relative to mileage driven that would also mean twice as many oil changes for a given amount of fuel used, even assuming the same oil change interval (the vel Sat is 18k). That's the trouble with all this enviro bollocks... it doesn't look at the bigger picture.By adding punitive taxes on larger cars, all it does it exclude poorer people from owning them. It doesn't stop the wealthy from buying them in the first place as to them, whether the tax is £200 a year or £400 is irrelevant. It's small change when you're blowing 50k+ on a new car.

Isn't co2 output directly linked with fuel economy?

Our Vel Satis is a diseasel so I'm not sure if they band it on co2 or particulates or both. If it was in the banding for new cars now it'd be in the second highest yet it's not exactly uneconomical. It get's about 46 mpg cruising at 80 and will do as much as 36 pulling another car on a trailer! For a 1700kg car with a 3.0l turbo V6 those are pretty good numbers I'd say. Bizarrely it's about the most economical car we have apart from the Renault 5TL.