America shite - 90s Camaro

DodgeRover

The only American car I can afford would be a GEO Metro.

The old man had a Geo Storm for a wee while; proper autoshite material, 4 pot, badermatic badge-engineered GM weirdness. Fortunately it was screwed together in Japan by Isuzu so the build quality was pretty good.

Also, when we are explicitly talking 90s Camaros, the 3rd generation ones are not what comes to my mind.

Built from 1982 - 1992, they are 80s Camaros in my book.

A 90s Camaro is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-Chevy-Camaro-Any-inspection-welcome-MOTED-TAXT-/302376854273

s-l1600.jpg

It even appears to be relatively orderly, at least for UK standards, but I have my doubts about the seller.

Neither can he correctly type a bloody year, for God's sake, or tell the difference between a clock and an odometer,

he also wishes potential buyers good look (sic) and happy bidding in a BIN ad!

I am sick and tired of dealing with such twerps, be it as a seller, or a buyer.

Thank you everybody for their contributions to this thread, V6 lack of power doesn't bother me really and fitting a set of zoomies should make it sound like a race car.

However tales of rampant rot are a tad off putting and this one is a non runner with ignition problems as well as untested for 10 years so I'll stay well away thank you.

Anywhere in particular I should keep an eye on for this type of budget yank?

Junkman thank you for pointing that out - 3rd gen doesn't do it for me - I honestly thought it was an MR2 or something

However tales of rampant rot are a tad off putting and this one is a non runner with ignition problems as well as untested for 10 years so I'll stay well away thank you.

The ignition problem wouldn't put me off. Troubleshooting is easy and components readily available.

In fact, I got a Caprice that subsequently served me well for 380,000 miles cheap because they couldn't get it to sparkle for a year.

They were quite miffed when I showed up without a trailer to pick it up, swapped a $10 part I had in my pocket within ten minutes

and drove off after it fired up at first try.

The scary bit is the unknown corrosion situation, the fucked interior and it needs four new tyres to begin with.

The old man had a Geo Storm for a wee while; proper autoshite material, 4 pot, badermatic badge-engineered GM weirdness. Fortunately it was screwed together in Japan by Isuzu so the build quality was pretty good.

I had to look up what the Storm was. Quite a nice looking car. A bit like the Nissan 100 NX. 8)

I had to look up what the Storm was. Quite a nice looking car. A bit like the Nissan 100 NX. 8)

Also has an Isuzu counterpart with the Impulse!

I generally agree with everything Junkman has said in this thread. Unfortunately, most of these cars, and especially stuff like Camaros or Firebirds, have ended up in the wrong hands and were bodged to hell and back again. I've seen it with my Mark VIII I bought near Sheffield. The car must have barely made 1000 miles in this country, yet the owner already started replacing half of its airride with a bunch of Land Rover steel springs that just happened to fit into the airbag's place, screwed the ugliest brick of foglight directly into the rear bumper and cut holes into the taillights and glued yellow lenses on top to pass its MOT. It also had cooling fan issues that made it overheat regularly and tires that still stemmed from the previous millennia. I am still fixing shit that I can thank the car's previous owners for. At least in my case, it was worth saving the car. I am not sure if you can say this about a 3rd gen V6 Camaro thats been run into the ground though. At least not yet, or in the foreseeable future. And yeah, the "90s" Camaro is the 4th gen, a much better car in almost any aspect in my opinion.

I rather like the look of these and got rather excited when a manual V8 turned up at a good price a year or so ago. This is V6 auto but this V6 is much more powerful than the wheazey V6 you'd find in a Mustang of the same age.

post-17481-0-58978400-1500120674_thumb.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-/292178038315?hash=item44072b0e2b:g:pPcAAOSw~e5ZUWxk

Stupid T-roof put me off, they do exist with a real steel roof but  I don't know if any like that came in through the official Euro / Vauxhall route. 

If RHD matters, wait for a Monaro to get rusty enough!

The current issue of Classic American has an article about a Ruddspeed 67 Mustang with a RHD conversion. A decent job by all accounts, but rare.

There was a company doing RHD AMC Pacers when they were new. I think there's still a few of them left too, fairly sure there was someone on Retrorides with one.

I think the quality of the conversions varied tbh depending on the company that converted them and how the actual car was built. Obviously some cars would be easier to swap over than others.

There used to be a 1980 RHD Caprice sedan near me. It was rotten as fook though and sat on a driveway for years. Pretty sure it went to the oval in the end.

V6 Camaro......NAHH.....3.8V6....Rubbish.3.1V6  even worse...Get yourself a cheap  Chevy 4.3 V6 Vortec Astro or Safari .Can't beat em (as long as they've been regulary serviced) Plenty of power..Loads of MPG with 4 speed overdrive auto box ,and the early(80-90s) Crewbus seating style=loads of room as opposed to the Dayvan style too small inside with all the gizzmo's.

V6 Camaro......NAHH.....3.8V6....Rubbish....Get yourself a cheap  Chevy 4.3 V6 Vortec Astro or Safari .Can't beat em (as long as they've been regulary serviced) Plenty of power..Loads of MPG with 4 speed overdrive auto box ,and the early(80-90s) Crewbus seating style=loads of room as opposed to the Dayvan style too small inside with all the gizzmo's.

The 3800 in the 4th gen Camaro is indestructible, as can bee seen in this video:

Only asked about RHD as it was sold new here and the advert doesn't mention lhd/ rhd can't make out a wheel through the windows either.

It does really make a difference apart from using drive throughs or putting tickets in parking barriers

You (I) can see it's LHD in the pics - the steering wheel is visible in the first pic, also in the one with the women - you can see it between the arms of the purple-haired woman - it's deffo LHD

There was a company doing RHD AMC Pacers when they were new. I think there's still a few of them left too, fairly sure there was someone on Retrorides with one.

I think the quality of the conversions varied tbh depending on the company that converted them and how the actual car was built. Obviously some cars would be easier to swap over than others.

There used to be a 1980 RHD Caprice sedan near me. It was rotten as fook though and sat on a driveway for years. Pretty sure it went to the oval in the end.

I think we've "done" the Pacer conversion on here before - that was a bit shit - I seem to remember something about it being Crayford.  

DIfferent Yank stuff has been available with RHD in varying degrees of quality - my Rebel is fairly decent, as is my 56 Chevy - both done as Factory RHD (even though all sorts of internet mythology says otherwise).

I think the Caprices were factory - there were quite a lot around - if South Africa and/or Aus/NZ had a big enough market (they did for the 56 Chevy) then they tended to do factory versions.

My factory assembly manual for the 56 even lists RHD parts and manufacturing differences.

For less popular stuff, enterprising locals have been offering RHD conversions of varying quality off and on for years.

There's a company who do RHD conversions on fairly modern American stuff.

At the last Crathes car show, I saw a previous-gen Ford F-150 converted to RHD. Can't remember the name of the company though. I've also heard about a company in Australia importing Dodge Rams and converting them, however the final sale price after the conversion ends up at £stupid.