Knowledgeable people needed. Cars in central Finland......

nigel bickle

Not got it yet!

Owner is ultra cautious about funds transfer, speaking English, driving the car, the sun coming up tomorrow etc etc. Add in obfuscation, probably a few lies ( can feel it in my waters) and it could still go tits up.

Best option to date is ro ro img it fromPort Turkku, but I can't persuade the bigger to drive it that far, and he doesn't want the responsibility of finding transport.

Just wants me to turn up, pay cash, tow away. Simples.

Slowly slowly....

Ok, so I now own it, and have also paid transportation to Port Turku ( bottom left of Finland).

Seems the previous owner doesn't have the time to drive it 10 miles to the collection point, that seems to be the last sticking point. BV I've set the Scandinavian shipper on him , so it should be sorted shortly.

There's a ro ro to Harwich from there, ( Mann Lines). every 9 days, taking 5 days. Adds €780 euros to the cost, but that's still cheaper than a two way trip - and quicker too.

So, if he extracts his digit my kids will be heading up to Harwich with an A frame in the next 2-3 weeks.

Deep joy. One of the last few off the bucket list, hopefully

I dont tend to take a lot of pics, but Ive scrapped these few. They have all been 'featured' here, but some time back.

First off, the 117, as found, in Brum.

post-758-0-60418300-1500747673_thumb.jpg

post-758-0-13008900-1500747687_thumb.jpg

Currently stripped and part welded- looks a horror!

Then the Bellett, as it came off the boat.  

post-758-0-90085400-1500747760_thumb.jpg

And finally, the devils spawn -the Bellel

Pictured on the truck that collected it in california because I cant believe how long it is

post-758-0-99544400-1500747716_thumb.jpg

And in Chatham, were it burned the towcar.

post-758-0-07531100-1500747737_thumb.jpg

Will make a nice set once sorted. All moved right up the priority list this week.

Nigel, you have solved a car id that has been bugging me since 1965.  We were on holiday in Saint Aygulf, my first continental holiday with my parents, having trekked down there in dad's 1963 Victor FB estate.  Whilst there, I saw many cars that either I had no knowledge of or were matched to fuzzy black and white images in my well thumbed Observers Book of Automobiles.  A car with triangular rear lights and a Farina looking shape, spotted from my dad's car but not close enough to read the badge, eluded my attempts at identification.  I managed to put names to Simca Vedettes, a Lancia Flaminia and Peugeot 404s but the single sighting of a car with a rear end per your last photo has puzzled me for decades.  It clicked as soon as I saw it.  Isuzu Bellel.  Thank you.

Possibly too late but worth making contact with a chap called Lasse Wigren (you can find him on Facebook) who is a highly sound chap and goes around Finland buying up old cars which would otherwise get scrapped, then reselling them at it must be said v reasonable prices. Has a few hundred cars of which at least half are Saabs. He will know people, &c, &c...

If this goes well, there are a few cars on Nettiauto that tickle my fancy.

Seems a stack cheaper than mainland Europe, and - if the shipping works, feasible.

Just checked that Nettiauto site for the first time and they have a few Toyota Crown estates! Colour me intrigued, will have to watch this thread with interest as I have not seen any worth importing from Japan yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course its financially unfeasible.

And it'll never make a ' profit', but then - it'll be my family selling it so what do I care.

But was it actually do- able, long distance? Seems yes is the answer, ( if it lands at Harwich, undamaged, next Tues/ Wed) so once I've sorted it, and the intricacies of the Finnish system, Nettiauto will be getting a regular shooing.

It was a strong contender on my motoring bucket list.There aren't many left now..

I like cruising Nettiauto, the prices are low compared to other Western European markets, and the selection of cars is really diverse, probably 'cause Finland has no indigenous brand.

Also Finnish winters are far too cold to use salt and probably too cold  to allow rusting at all for several months each winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. So I've got it.

One month on from my initial enquiry I actually have aFlorian, collected today from Harwich. 
Ok, so it's not in the best of condition, as is going to need a ton of De-ox to stop deterioration, whilst it's evaluated. But it's essentially, sound, and seems to run/ drive ok.

It landed Tuesday, and we collected this morning, without substantive issue. However, a lack of number plates( unexpected) means it needed A framing - compounded because we couldn't get the bonnet open to disconnect the battery. Eventually we cobbled a position on the ignition where it was off, but not locked- hopefully. Taped up securely and very straight lines the whole way back sees it home without incident.

Full investigation starts as soon as I'm well enough, but summarily - chuffed!

For those interested in exporting from Finland. 

It cost me €250 to get it 250 miles to the only ro ro port, Turku. Free parking there for 7 days prior, but the transporter ( which only picks up from the bigger villages) acts as a bus route, with designated pickup/ drop off points/ dates. This got my car to the Port 10 days early - so they just kept it in their yard for me for 3 days, no charge - then drove it across. Can't imagine that sort of help here!

Mann Lines ro ro sails every 9 days, takes 4. Cost me €780 - ( 600 euros plus20% Vat). Invoiced on arrival at the Docks ( presumably to check size) and paid prior to collection here.

I organised all this through ETS Logistica, based on in Tallinn. Daniil Petrovits there is really helpful, speaks very good English and couldn't help more. He quoted from the "off", and the price never changed. No additional loading/ unloading, document fees or ancillary charges. The car was stored in Harwich till collection today, free for 7 days. 
Collection was straightforward. They gave me a reference once payment was confirmed cleared, which I had to give with ID. On arrival I parked up, found the car, brought it to the front gate, hitched up, did the ID & docs thing and was away.

Frankly, it couldn't have been easier, and 1000euros in total to ship a car here from 
Northern Finland feels like a Billy bargain, 

Suspect I'll be looking to do it again sometime fairly soon.

Great thread I've only just found. There's a whole heap of cars that could go on the cars I never knew existed thread. I have pictures of something that may be a Florian from one of my trips to Malta in about 1999. Didn't know what it was, now I do.

And the Farina? Is it based on the Peugeot or completely unique? Farina certainly got their money's worth out of that design didn't they.

Good work and good luck keeping them going.