Rover 214 question

PiperCub

Have an annoying squeaking noise from the engine bay of the 214 which is heard at low speeds. It's coming from the alternator as when I pulled the PAS belt it was still there and when I pulled the alternator belt it disappeared.

The alternator was rather corroded around the back (it's mounted quite low and no u/tray or protection) and the bearings felt & sounded a little rough so got a new one (Q-H) and fitted it today. Works fine but the noise is still there.

Two questions to Rover/K-Series experts out there (I am not one!):

Are these engines really fussy about belt tension? I was using the traditional flat belt method (as done with cambelts for years) of twisting the longest run through 90 degrees with moderate pressure was about right. I've left it slightly slack now as wondered if over-tightning was the issue.

Are these engines fussy about make of belt? (Mines a fairly new Dayco - never had problem with them yet). Odd thing to ask but my MX5 is noisy if you use a toothed V-belt but silent if you use a solid OE one (go figure) so clutching at straws a bit. 

I can get and fit another belt if necess but don't want to waste time/money otherwise and will live with it as it's not the worst thing in the world. 

No again! There is only the belt from the crank pulley to the alternator in the old-fashioned way, you tension it by moving the alternator unit. (No a/c etc on the car).

There's only a tensioner pulley on the PAS belt - in fact that's what I originally thought the problem was until I pulled the PAS belt, ran the engine expecting silence but it was still there so the PAS was crying 'Not guilty'. Took the alternator belt off, ran the engine briefly, silence, so the concluded alternator bearings a bit iffy -  there was my problem or so I thought! 

Sorry - should have said - 1994 R8 flavour.

I'm running it slightly slack at the moment maybe but from experience, it's better than too tight. Putting all the electrics on (lights, HRW, fan etc) to load it up doesn't make any difference. 

There's potential for slip if you're running it slack. If it's only intermittent it could just not quite be catching sometimes?

Thinking out loud, but could the pulleys spinning on the belt wear it a bit increasing the likelihood of slip and squeal?

Andy:

No, that's the point I'm making, the belt is not old and looks fine. It's a Dayco one so not some unbranded junk. 

That's why I was asking about if these cars are fussy about certain makes of belt as the only other step to take is replace that but for my hack, I'm not one for throwing parts at a problem without being sure they are going to be needed.

There's potential for slip if you're running it slack. If it's only intermittent it could just not quite be catching sometimes?

Thinking out loud, but could the pulleys spinning on the belt wear it a bit increasing the likelihood of slip and squeal?

Fair point but it's not intermittent though. Plus loading it up (lights, HRW etc) should make it worse, it doesn't.

Yes, a slipping pulley will damage the belt by 'polishing' it so it doesn't grip as well as it should but the belt condition is very good (or looks it) and I think was replaced when the cambelt was done which was about three years and about 8K miles ago.

Thought so, never had bother with Dayco belts before. Will fit the new one when it arrives.

BTW your old Rover has been an excellent car and walked though its MoT a couple of weeks back with one tyre advisory and almost non existent emissions!! Aside from a new set of Falken tyres last week and the alternator, plus a couple of basic service items, its been faultless and a great buy, many thanks!

Update:

Changed the belt today for an identical Dayco item and waddaya know? Solved the problem. Have inspected the belt I took off, can't see anything wrong with it. So the old alternator was probably OK, oh well, good job it was only £35!

BTW it wasn't a tensioning issue as I tried that before pulling the old one off.

As the great philosopher Toyah once said "It'th a mythery".