Saving an Audi 80. Saved und Sold.

BorniteIdentity

You can have my running motd one for 450 ! :-)

It’s a nice one you’ve got too!

The lady didn’t want any money for it: just for it to live. I’ve said when it’s running I’ll take her out for a spin in it.

Total costs for far are £50 for the ignition module and a crank sensor, £14 for some whiskey, probably £40 of diesel and whatever Chris will take for his time and for his sister’s generosity.

If we can get it on the road for £200 then that’s a result.

• 4 weeks later...

Right. Pls help. Pls respond.

New crank sensor and ignition switch fitted. Still no car. With plug 1 un...err... unplugged... when you turn the key it sparks once and then no more. On that first spark it feels like it wants to fire, after that NOTHING.

I reckon it’s the immobiliser.

Thoughts?

There’s definitely petrol getting to the plugs, so that’s been ruled out.

I had a very early 1994 Audi A4 which had the same engine as your motor (1.6 with a dizzy cap) and when I bought it the car had a different set of keys for the ignition and I plugged it into a code reader to put the airbag light off one day after changing the bulbs behind the dash and found loads of old codes for immobiliser issues so it could be that.

Apparently it's quite a common problem and there's a cheap bodge which involves taking the cover off around the ignition and steering column and moving the immobiliser nearer the key when it's in the ignition.

I really hope you get it running, I don't think you can get a better built car than an early 90s Audi.

My old A4 was the best car I have ever had it was so well built and reliable I wish I never sold it.

If these are like the equivalent VW they will start and run for 2 seconds if the fault is the immobiliser.

One spark is what you get when the coil gets power so I reckon it's a red herring.

Ideally you need some diagnostics on it to confirm that it's getting cam and crank signals, but at the least make sure you've got continuity from the sensors to the ecu.

My T25 (mk3 golf engine) did exactly this when a wire to the crank sensor chafed through.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to offer a bit of detail. Once Alf stabbed it a few times with a multi-meter, he was left convinced that, despite reassurances of Bosch, it must be the distributor.

This epiphany coincidentally timed with a genuine distributor appearing on eBay.de.

20 Euro plus postage and here we are!

Next it’s an MOT, try to work out why the temp gauge doesn’t work and to get the ABS light off.

I had an 80 of this age. Neither the fuel nor temp gauge's worked. Dry joints in the cluster, took about half an hour to pop apart and remedy.

Well the fuel gauge also needed a repair effecting in tank too, but you get the idea.

Nice one. Might as well nudge the airbag bulb out at the same time (!)

It started up a treat really.....took a bloody long time to wake the lifters up though. And the oil pump is driven off the dizzy which was a bugger to engage so I did have a nagging doubt it was in properly. Luckily it went quiet just be I lost my bottle.

As MrB says temp gauge needs sorting and I need to time it up......I forgot my strobe.

We gave it a short road test........ on private roads.......and it drives amazingly well......all mission critical items function anyway