Saving an Audi 80. Saved und Sold.

BorniteIdentity

Absolutely love these, especially in red. From an era when Audi were considered upmarket, but in a solid good quality way with none of the wanky flash bulls bullshit of today.

The A4 that followed was the point Audi began its swift climb into the lifestyle aspirational wanky bollocks club.

If I ever needed to do big miles for work I could think of nothing better than one of these in turbo dizzler spec

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Ok. Looks like Alf892 and I are going to rescue this soon, along with Dicky the Stag.

Any ideas on this diagnosis from tehAA?

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20170712-181936.png

Hall sensor is the modern equivalent of the rotor arm (or points) - it senses metal passing the sensor surface and generates a pulse for the coil pack(s). Same tech as an ABS wheel sensor I guess. Anyone confirm this?

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Hall sensor is the modern equivalent of the rotor arm (or points) - it senses metal passing the sensor surface and generates a pulse for the coil pack(s). Same tech as an ABS wheel sensor I guess. Anyone confirm this?

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Other way round - the gap in the disc is the 'trigger'  - ECU fires coil when waveform (voltage) is at 0.

Usually the centre wire is the switched one - relatively easy to check.

Think these are K-jet mechanical injection, if so the distributor head could be a fuel thing rather than a spark thing.

Was just about to post the same thing. K-Jet metering heads can be anything between quite easy and a complete arse to source - thankfully there's plenty of VAG products in breakers but the equivalent Ford gubbins can give you a real headache (the 2.8i from memory?)

However, if the AA reckon it's the hall sender, then I fixed that exact problem on my G40 with just a selection of crap screwdrivers and a hammer. A new dizzy would be the easiest bet, I bought just the part I needed for £cheaper but it took me twenty times as long to fix.

I console myself with the fact that, at at least one stage in the depths of history, this must have been funny once.  But I'm not sure why in this case it ought to die?  Entire new distributors seem to be about £65 at Car Parts 4 Less etc, and it might need a few other bits.  I hope to get it on the road for £200 all in.

It's free.  Entirely free.  I just don't understand why?

Maybe I'm stupid.

I had a really early 95 A4 (registered 1st Aug) with that 1.6 engine with the red Bosch distributor set up and its the only car I really regret selling which was about 4 years ago.

I bought it to get me out of trouble cheap (£281) on eBay with a non working window but it was only a couple of broken clips which I repaired for nothing in half hour and in the 3 years or so I had that car it never put a foot wrong and rust was never an issue and all I would do is service it for about £30 a year using ECP.

I found it quick enough and very economical but I just don't have the room to save the old girl but I'm amazed she hasn't been snapped up as an Audi of that vintage is the best car anyone can find for build qualify.

It made me laugh though as mine was immaculate and very low mileage and people at work would be buying or leasing moderns and paying a fortune in repairs etc and asking why do you drive an N reg car and I would see their cars come and go while mine would just carry on working and not use a drop of coolant or oil.

I found the interior nice as the quality of everything inside was fantastic and it had just what I wanted such as electric Windows and central locking and a decent radio and was very comfortable but not overdone on the toy department.

My father had the 2 litre Audi 100 on a L plate at the same time and that was equally as good I really hope it gets saved.

It made me laugh though as mine was immaculate and very low mileage and people at work would be buying or leasing moderns and paying a fortune in repairs etc and asking why do you drive an N reg car and I would see their cars come and go while mine would just carry on working and not use a drop of coolant or oil.

Joke was on you as you should have taken it to the bridge sooner.  

(!)

Some help please.

I'm looking for an entire distributor to make things simple at the vendor's house. I'm also happy to buy a new one because, as I always say, it's never going to become easier to get parts.

Any help? ECP say special order and nowhere online can I find one.

If someone finds one I'd be mega grateful. Even a part number.

Couldn't get those on a facelift 80 (M is pretty much as late as they go I think, the A4 starts on N), if I had to say they're off a prefacelift Coupe/high end 80/90. 

Happy to be corrected but I thought the smallest engine 80 was 1.8? Never seen less than a 1.8E over here. Besides, precisely 1600cc seems unlikely. 

According to 1993 and 1994 Glass' guide, the 80 was only available as a 2.0 - the 2.0E was the base model. The only 1600 was the derv.

First A4's were on the M plate. I went to the local launch at the Audi place in Banbury - Derek Bell was the guest, an utterly charming man.

I console myself with the fact that, at at least one stage in the depths of history, this must have been funny once.  But I'm not sure why in this case it ought to die?  Entire new distributors seem to be about £65 at Car Parts 4 Less etc, and it might need a few other bits.  I hope to get it on the road for £200 all in.

It's free.  Entirely free.  I just don't understand why?

Maybe I'm stupid.

I wouldn't worry. The fool probably has two pairs of lips so she can piss and moan at the same time.

Some help please.

I'm looking for an entire distributor to make things simple at the vendor's house. I'm also happy to buy a new one because, as I always say, it's never going to become easier to get parts.

Any help? ECP say special order and nowhere online can I find one.

If someone finds one I'd be mega grateful. Even a part number.

Y'ad a look on ebay ?

^ Old work colleague had one of the first 'M' plate A4's until a couple of years ago. It was Vauxhall pink, looked rogered, but still refused to die. The only reason they gave up on it in the end was because they found a cheap* Alfa. The Audi is still parked in their yard iirc. Probably still start up, too.

Good luck with the '80 - it looks well worth saving. I wouldn't take the comments too seriously - I think there's a bit of lighthearted leg-pulling going on ;)

http://dgmotorservices.co.uk/blog/

Really good company, I've been using them for years Dom and Toby are honest and the work is top quality.

Great work on trying to save this Audi 80, the styling of the 80 and 100 at the time was really pleasing, the coupe was a looker as well.

I'd love to assist lurk in the background however I have no actual mechanical skills and I'm only a week on from a set of spinal injections, if your still working on it in a couple of weeks i may be able to sit for long enough to at least do some driving.

http://dgmotorservices.co.uk/blog/

Really good company, I've been using them for years Dom and Toby are honest and the work is top quality.

Great work on trying to save this Audi 80, the styling of the 80 and 100 at the time was really pleasing, the coupe was a looker as well.

I'd love to assist lurk in the background however I have no actual mechanical skills and I'm only a week on from a set of spinal injections, if your still working on it in a couple of weeks i may be able to sit for long enough to at least do some driving.

Spoke to these guys yesterday, but they called back an hour later to say the best they could muster is a cap and arm.

I really need to get something in the next few days if we stand any chance of starting it next week.

Back to eBay. Thanks for everything so far.

Right. This is Hella confusing.

This part looks right. Audi 80. But then it says it's not for the 1.6 Audi 80. But it IS correct for the Seat Cordoba 1.6 with what we assume is the right engine.

https://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/PartDetails.aspx?s_pc=0%20237%20520%20036%20RECON&s_vid=

(Ignore any safety warnings, website is safe)

I will ring up later if I get a chance.