Saving an Audi 80. Saved und Sold.

BorniteIdentity

Hey.

Being famous for interfering with crap cars means that people offer you crap cars.

I normally politely decline, making a tongue in cheek remark about "that being FAR too good for me" etc blah.

However, this has a nice story to it.

The lady I've been put in contact with has an Audi 80 estate. It was her Dad's run about when he didn't want to use his beautiful old Mercedes. It sounds like his new wife has taken everything in Probate, but the daughter got this. She has no use for it, but is desperate for it to be enjoyed nand cherished.

In steps me.

It's at j2 of the M40 and apparently it needs a new "distributor head". I imagine she means cap.

Does anyone fancy heading over with me to check it out? Maybe even after FotU??

Many beer and other rewards available if you fancy helping this to live.ad0674b0b53b58e65b9aceb22b90a592.jpge5bffcc3aa89fa34133d681e9119b494.jpg3eaef016640b6cf23f9f1efc61b80bc4.jpg88369be5441940fd339642da69dc5377.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I had a saloon one of these in 2.0 guise. Bought blind when a car I was selling unexpectedly sold the same day I listed it.

Ran it for a good 6 months and sold it for a profit. Occasionally smoke came out of the centre console but other than that it was faultless.

Woo! The crowd go wild.95fc7016789fa5a8a8b875109dba0af8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

They're a car to keep forever. I bought a px  2.0E Avant  on a whim to go on holiday once. We kept it for years, and years  and years..

Big ABS ali cube thing under the bonnet fucked up once... it was 1100 quid from Audi :shock:  ..scrapyard ,a tenner ..  :-P

Heater matrix eventually failed and i couldn't be bothered to change it ,so  bypassed it until the winter when we got rid .Tyres lasted ages , zorst was still original, galvanised ( really is!)body,  bugger all rust ,2 litre was very economical too .Best Audi ever. Poor lumber on the front seats though if i recall ...Dash is like a 911,swooping round into the doorcards  :-D Would have another. Knocking at the front is only cheap droplinks..

Well it's the lowest engine but alloys suggest it's probably a SE spec.

Couldn't get those on a facelift 80 (M is pretty much as late as they go I think, the A4 starts on N), if I had to say they're off a prefacelift Coupe/high end 80/90. 

Happy to be corrected but I thought the smallest engine 80 was 1.8? Never seen less than a 1.8E over here. Besides, precisely 1600cc seems unlikely. 

Does anyone fancy heading over with me to check it out? Maybe even after FotU??

I would be a pleasure to have a look, I know the basics of cars and maybe the first trip would only tell us what parts we need to return with.

When were you thinking as my diary is quite full at this time of year?

Back in the long ago past when I worked for a Volvo dealer, I attended the launch training for the Volvo 460, Volvo gave us a group of competitor cars to try including an Audi 80 1.6. It was slow but I did come away thinking what a smooth quality car it was and liked it very much.

I still have my own 80 convertible, but mine is a V6 so we can't borrow bits.

I would be a pleasure to have a look, I know the basics of cars and maybe the first trip would only tell us what parts we need to return with.

When were you thinking as my diary is quite full at this time of year?

I was going to have a look a week on Saturday (22nd) as i'm nearby for Festival of the Unexceptional.

I am Hazlemere (Bucks!) which is farting distance from J2

Today is oot but could 'av a look tomorrow eve if any good

Wow.  Would you mind? It's Farnham Common.  It's 30 minutes from my work, but about 1'15 from home.  Even if we could get an idea of what I need to return with that'd be great.  Dizzy Caps look to be about £20, but I doubt it'll be that simple.

Couldn't get those on a facelift 80 (M is pretty much as late as they go I think, the A4 starts on N), if I had to say they're off a prefacelift Coupe/high end 80/90.

Happy to be corrected but I thought the smallest engine 80 was 1.8? Never seen less than a 1.8E over here. Besides, precisely 1600cc seems unlikely.

Sorry to correct you, but the 1.6 SE was a thing in this country.

5ab4f637dccbd30c3574ffd88b67242c.jpg

In 1995 I bought a 1992 K reg 80 2.0E saloon from Blackbushe car auctions who were holding a Lloyds bank sale. It was the usual red, cloth trim, never polished, 110'000 miles. Apart from a faint whine in 5th it felt and drive like new. It handled like a double bed so we fitted an Eibach spring kit - the factory dampers were still good and firm. The gearbox whine was due to the oil level being a tad low and the refill plug being almost seized in - Full Audi FDSH FTW.

The A4 was undoubtedly a better car but not built quite as strongly.

I was going to have a look a week on Saturday (22nd) as i'm nearby for Festival of the Unexceptional.

Wow.  Would you mind? It's Farnham Common.  It's 30 minutes from my work, but about 1'15 from home.  Even if we could get an idea of what I need to return with that'd be great.  Dizzy Caps look to be about £20, but I doubt it'll be that simple.

I am also going to the Festival of the Unexceptional and trip to the 80 after would be great.

Back in the long ago past when I worked for a Volvo dealer, I attended the launch training for the Volvo 460, Volvo gave us a group of competitor cars to try including an Audi 80 1.6. It was slow but I did come away thinking what a smooth quality car it was and liked it very much.

I still have my own 80 convertible, but mine is a V6 so we can't borrow bits.

Of course you could lend bits............they would just be big bits

I'd also be up for helping to wake it..........subject to dates fitting

PM'd

replaced one front shock and not tother, could make for interesting handling :)

• Test date23 April 2015
  • Expiry date13 May 2016
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading101,175 miles
  • MOT test number7499 4321 5123
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Offside Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
    Offside Front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)
    Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
    Child seat fitted not allowing full inspection of adult belt
  • Test date23 April 2015
  • Test ResultFail
  • Odometer reading101,170 miles
  • MOT test number2769 3301 5457
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Nearside Front Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3)
    Advisory notice item(s)
  • Offside Front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)