Laguna II V6 £700 (Bristol) - Reliable, family car being sold because the owner is a madman and replacing it with a MGB

SiC

After much procrastination, I've decided to put my Laguna up for sale. We've had this for over a year and put nearly 10k on it in that time. It's been a solid, reliable car. Short term I'm selling this to get a MGB GT (hence me being a madman). Longer term, I'm selling my Smart Roadster and "Upgrading" to my parents Audi to effectively replace this, as they're getting a new car. Probably going to be a bad idea as this is far better equipped, faster, cheaper parts and rock solid reliable.

Its an old cliche, but its a hell a lot of car for the money! Perfect car for transporting kids around over the summer holidays - especially with ISOFIX mounts and sun blinds in the back.

Location: Bristol - Just off M4 J19. Nearest train stations are Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway.

£700 - I'm not really sure of what it's worth so I'll take offers!

Good things:

• Top spec, so loads of toys - even compared to brand new cars.
  • 5 star NCAP crash safety. One of the safest cars of the time.
  • Everything works! Yes on a Laguna II. Tyre pressure system stopped working, but that's now been disabled.
  • That also includes the air conditioning, sunroof and all windows.
  • Phase 2 Laguna - Renault had fixed most of the issues from the Phase 1 that gave the Laguna II it's bad reputation.
  • Excellent condition throughout. No visible wear on interior. Paintwork bright and sharp still.
  • Non smoker and no pets from new by the seems of it. Actually smells really fresh and nice inside.
  • Regularly serviced by the previous owner. I've replaced plugs, had 2 oil changes, new wipers and usual maintenance. Anything it needed doing, I've had it done.
  • 2 Dunlop Sport Bluresponses on front that are only a couple months old. Rears are Kuhmos and have loads of tread on.
  • I've changed the Automatic Transmission Fluid, as despite Renault saying so, these gearboxes aren't "filled for life". Well if you want the life to be longer than 15years then it needs doing!
  • Reliable. It's never let me down and I have full faith and trust in it.
  • 210bhp - so fast. Enough power to embarrass stuff with 520d/320d/etc on the back.
  • Surprisingly economical - for a 3l V6 auto. Driven sensibly around town my wife gets 22-25mpg. Motorway cruise it averages 31-34mpg with the air conditioning on.
  • Most reliable engine out of the Laguna range. Same bulletproof lump that Peugeot used in the 406/407/others. Handily, most parts are interchangeable too.
  • Just under 101k miles. Will go up as my wife is using it daily commuting to work.
Bad things:
  • Tyre pressure monitoring system disabled. Despite 3 new sensors that are programmed in, this refuses to work.
  • Scratches on the passenger rear wheel arch where I caught it. I did this a couple of weeks after owning it and never have damaged a car - especially like this before. However it's not really noticeable from 5 feet back. I've touched it up with a touch-up pen which has helped and also stopped it rusting.
Toys:
  • Dual zone climate control with working air conditioning
  • Pull up blinds on the rear window and boot window.
  • Rear child locks can be engaged and disengaged from a control on the window controls on the drivers door.
  • Isofix compatible on the seats.
  • Cruise Control with Speed Limiter. Cruise is cruise, while speed limiter mode allows you set to a maximum speed that you can accelerate up to. If you want to exceed it, then you can hit the kick-down to override it. Very handy in 30mph speed limits.
  • Heated windscreen
  • Front Electric seats
  • Heated seats
  • Auto dimming rear view mirror
  • Satnav with Handsfree bluetooth. Satnav disc is from 2006, but newer discs can be had from eBay. I tend to use it as a moving map, which it works well for. But then its a £700 car that has satnav!
  • Keyless ignition with his+her cards - remembers seat position, wing mirror position, air-conditioning settings and radio station
  • Keyless entry, locking and starting. As long as you have the keycard in your pocket, put your hand on the handle and it'll unlock. When you are in the car, it'll detect that and so pressing the start button will start the engine. As you walk away with the keycard in your pocket, it'll lock again. This is all very good as it means less wear on those keycards - and no wear on those buttons that tend to go. Hence why these are in good nick.
  • Electric folding mirrors
  • Electric windows all round
  • Full Leather
  • 5 speed automatic gearbox
  • Factory fit Xenon headlights with working headlight washers.
  • Superbly smooth and quiet V6 when cruising - nice bark when accelerating.
  • 2 working keycards in very good condition.

post-20071-0-05193800-1499628439_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-80729800-1499628443_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-31196900-1499628448_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-64436200-1499628453_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-29846400-1499628458_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-03271900-1499628463_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-97201900-1499628467_thumb.jpg

I daren't afford to buy something like that...

...I could , of course

Afford to spent fifteen quid on a roffle tick

Or two

No roffles I'm afraid, I would like to shift this reasonably quickly.

That is lovely!

Swap for a gooner?

Ha. Maybe if I needed a parts car...

I fucking love this

I have no parking and insurance is a nightmare now I don't have a trade policy but I am going to need to try really hard not to come and get this next weekend

If it wasn't for the parking here, I'd keep this. If it doesn't sell, I may store it at my parents for a bit as it genuinely pains me to be getting rid of it.

Insurance strangely is cheaper than my Civic too! Despite being bigger and a lot more powerful.

Oh its still currently insured and taxed - it will be until its sold if thats helpful to anyone.

Sell the Honda instead? Is it a good one?

The Civic is like the family dog. Safe, reliable, trusted and had it for years (over 5 now - longest I've kept a car). I can't sell the family dog!

It's continued reliability and economical running is what allows me permission from the wife to keep buying random cars.

No I didn't in the end, as I'm pretty certain its been done not that long ago. First is the condition of the belts.

Pictures of it are here:

http://autoshite.com/topic/24360-gooner-ii-v6-reliable-motoring-at-its-finest/page-7?do=findComment&comment=989207

Based on the advice of others on here and the fact that the text on the belt is in really good condition. Unlikely that it has been the same one in the last 101k. Also I was told by someone else (iirc might have been 25v6turbo?) who looked at this car (it was at a dealer in London) that they phoned up the old garage that it was serviced at previously in the history and they stated that it had been done. I did try phoning them up myself, but as the last owner had moved away, they unfortunately deleted the records.

The best price I found was £399 from Renault dealers as its eligible for one of their fixed priced repairs.

I usually would never want to take the risk and do a cambelt lottery, but this seemed the least risk free option. The belt is thick, requires special locking tools and tensioned correctly. Looking around online, those that have ever failed on 406/others seem to be not long after having it done and it wasn't done properly. 

Oh my. I've just had a message from parents to say they've bought a new car. Which means I'm having the Audi, but also the car park space on my parents drive I would have occupied with the Laguna is now taken by it. I also want (possibly found) an MGB GT too.

Hence I appear to be having cars coming out my ears! 

Someone please make me an offer and buy this off me.  :shock:

I got told on here to keep that wood!  :rolleyes:

Please step away from the fake wood, and leave it as it is, this is a public service announcement, please step away...........................

Agreed, quite like the wood.

Yours looks FLIPPIN SWEET, I say keep the fake wood too, its a great feature I reckon!!!! Specially with the funny little squares set into it.

I like the fake wood. If you must change it, get some 3m vinyl wrap for a different type of wood but please don't carbon fibre it!

The wood looks very similar to what was in my Vel Shatis.  I rather liked it I have to admit.