Forshale Merc C180, 02 plate, resale silver, sans MOT £500 sovs

vaughant

Another one from a work colleague, apparently the scenic owner was using the car last week and couldn't have any viewings, pics to follow this week.

Mate in work bought this, owned it I think ten years maybe more, started having a few issues with it and ended up getting a Honda lease car instead. Not seen it up close myself but I trust Gary as he's a good guy. He's tried the usual gumtree F-tards and spent most of his time blocking phonecalls from accident management companies telling him his car had been in a crash and how they could help him from their offices in India hence I mentioned to try here.

Most major issue is the pas but a quick Google reveals a few potentials including pump/rack or as simple as rack o rings. Plenty of these rotted away to nothing so you'll have a myriad of choice in getting spares parts I would guess.

Age old saying of a champagne car on lemonade money but I think as these get on its probably a fizzy wine car on Lidl fizzy water money.

Hearts a link to the Gumtree ad.

Car is in Swindon.

Been told £500 is the ideal price, your call.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mercedes-benz/mercedes-c180-elegance-for-spares-or-repairs-engine-runs-fine-lots-of-service

From a serial Mercedes Benz licker here, If it is the car in the advert listed above, I would say that £500 is asking too much for it in it's current state. Although, the sunroof is quite a rare option.

Getting parts for these in the scrapyards is surprisingly not as easy as you might think (certainly up here anyway, U-pull it & Sports car breakers) & The ones you do find are usually stripped to within an inch of the bare shell. Yes, there will be the odd few in various scrapyards, but they are not as common in scrapyards as say...An Astra or vectra etc..

I am in no way having a go or anything, merely offering my thoughts. GLWTS.

Not going to particularly disagree with the statement as it's been for sale for a bit now but there will be some movement in the price I'm sure, I think a figure of £450 had been banded about.

I've told him to try and take it for a MOT just to prove there's no nasties but he's rightly pointed out that he's pretty busy right now with child care and work etc and really just wants a hassle free sale.

I know a lot of these suffer terminal rot in very odd places so it could act as an ok donor for one or vice versa a minter with a blown/snapped chain engine but the market will dictate if it sells or not I'm sure.

After that it's the dreaded eBay which trying to sell a cheap Merc with a few issues on should attract a really genuine* buyer who will understand the fact their getting an ok car and not** complain when they can't get a spare pump for £6 "because friend told them very cheap parts in Uzbekistan but why not car with kar? now monies must be returned or I will sue for sure".

I'd imagine the experience to be a little bit like when I tried to sell a 924 years ago and had an hour conversation with someone wanting to know what Porsche dealer I'd last had it serviced at and where the targa bags were? Also, did I know if it had recall 9.3752 for an occasionally sticky light switch?

All for a £500 car.

Sigh.

Ideally, it would be an M111 engined car - same rust, older (better) engine. The M271 that arrived in 2002 is a crock of shit (timing chains, Vanos units, wiring and sensor faults). Terminal rust is almost unheard of, just scabbiness. A good one drives very well but really, this is £250.

I currently run a 2002, 02 plate Mercedes C220 CDi Avantgarde, It runs & drives 100% spot on,& I find it more comfortable & smoother driving, than I did with my recently sold 2010 Octavia VRS. It is also not too shabby on the fuel as well.

Yes, it is a little cosmetically challenged, with a little rust on the bottoms of both rear wheel arches & a little bit around the boot/number plate area. However, It is nothing that I am worried about.

In fact, Just a month ago, it went straight through it's m.o.t, with no advisories whatsoever. 

As has been alluded to by The Reverend Bluejeans, These are not known for terminal rot, Unlike say, an equivalent Jaguar X type from the same vintage.

I was not in anyway trying to shoot you down by my previous post Vaughant,  I do hope that you sell it.

I currently run a 2002, 02 plate Mercedes C220 CDi Avantgarde, It runs & drives 100% spot on,& I find it more comfortable & smoother driving, than I did with my recently sold 2010 Octavia VRS. It is also not too shabby on the fuel as well.

Yes, it is a little cosmetically challenged, with a little rust on the bottoms of both rear wheel arches & a little bit around the boot/number plate area. However, It is nothing that I am worried about.

In fact, Just a month ago, it went straight through it's m.o.t, with no advisories whatsoever.

As has been alluded to by The Reverend Bluejeans, These are not known for terminal rot, Unlike say, an equivalent Jaguar X type from the same vintage.

I was not in anyway trying to shoot you down by my previous post Vaughant, I do hope that you sell it.

No offence taken whatsoever and in all honesty I think sans MOT it's a big ask.

I do fancy a derv version to replace my ml at some point or its slightly bigger brother the e class, seems that Gen of Mercedes had a bad name for rust etc but the oily bus seem to be generally ok.