1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

It begins.

For those that may be new to this particular story, I was pinged over on Twitter by 320Touring about catsinthewelder parting ways with his little Austin that I had admired from afar for a long, long time and never been able to do anything about.  This time everything aligned properly and I could swoop in and inflict another project on myself while also assisting a fellow shiter.

Krujoe stepped up to offer collection/delivery services entirely out of the blue.  Vastly appreciated since hiring a trailer is always an absolute chore to organise and get together and thus removing huge amounts of stress from the whole process.  Nothing* has ever gone wrong while Krujoe has been towing things so we'd be fine.

For some background you want to check out this FREE CAR thread and this CAR FOR SALE thread and probably this COLLECTION thread.  Then you'll know about as much as I do.

Before 2011 (don't know how long ago this was)
post-5335-0-82283000-1499543282_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-05263800-1499543144_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-62647100-1499543207_thumb.jpg

2017 (now)
post-5335-0-89766400-1499543227_thumb.jpg

Now that it's nice and ripe it's just about ready for me to get involved.  Collection happens tomorrow and it will likely be radio silence for the duration as I don't have a mobile update ability so you may not get another update on this until Monday morning/early afternoon depending what time we get back on Sunday.  Journey is going to be an epic one starting at Stockton-on-Tees, travelling about 2 hours to get to Castle Cleland in Malham and then on to Ludlow to collect the little purple horror.  It's going to be an early start and a very late finish.

This thread, like my others, will chart the ups and downs of whatever happens with this little car.  It's less complicated than the Princess and parts are far easier to acquire than the Renault so it's got to be an easier project even with the problems I've already had my attention drawn to. Should be fun!

Sills are at least easy peasy to get hold of and not too dear either.  Because I have the confidence to do them myself that saves several hundred quid.  I've been told on the rot front the specific points (other than that bit between the front number plate and the rear number plate) are:

- rear boot corners

- rear subframe front mounting points and/or seatbelt mounting points

- all three parts of the three part sills, particularly under the B pillar, the trailing and the leading edges

- rear arches, particularly the trailing edge, leading into the lower wing

- rear valance

- door bottoms and trailing edge corners (though this is normal for 60s/70s cars so doesn't really count)

- inner wings, both sides, most specifically the 'trumpet' strengthener and where the wing meets the bulkhead

- outer wings on all the vertical seams and headlight mounting area

- floors where they meet the inner sills

- floors where they meet the front arches

- bulkhead under the washer bottle, sometimes under the brake fluid reservoir too

I don't think this one is too far advanced in those areas and has had some repairs so it should be repairable.  Unlike this poor example which demonstrates just how keen they are to provide a sanctuary for rustbugs.

I sold it before I went on my sabbatical from the forum.  Click on the link in the post above, the thread was updated to the day the car was collected.  I've heard nothing since though the buyer's plan was to fully restore it and I know that was going to be a lot of work if he wanted it to the standard of the Rolls Royces and such he normally worked on.

Yes, sorry, it's all (mostly) my fault. Somehow, when last week's thread popped up, I remembered that three or four years ago, Vulg expressed a MEGAHORN for this in one of the old threads. Connections were made, and shit happens. The day may yet come when he curses my name.

Another pic from an occasional member, and previous owner: 

Pics from the two times we owned it

post-20764-0-74786600-1483710301.jpg

Looks grand there. (Unless that's a catastrophic coolant leak...)

I have a feeling that pic is from 2008...

Tonight the Pleasure_Wagon and A.R.S.E Trailer of Win stand poised and ready*, despite a slight electricity deficiency. WCPGW?

Interested to see updates on this one. AR online suggests that the only places you need to check for rot are the brown coloured areas:

AF3147-austin-1100.png

http://www.aronline.co.uk/facts-and-figures/buying-guide/buying-guide-bmc-11001300/

As long as they are ok, you should be fine. Good luck!

Interested to see updates on this one. AR online suggests that the only places you need to check for rot are the brown coloured areas:

AF3147-austin-1100.png

http://www.aronline.co.uk/facts-and-figures/buying-guide/buying-guide-bmc-11001300/

As long as they are ok, you should be fine. Good luck!

There is nothing worse than rusty tyres and glass!

Look forward to reading about the continuing escapades of vulgalour's ever growing purple BL collection.

I restored a 1966 Morris 1100 in 2005, CJO73D wherever that is now. They're pretty easy to work on - the hydro pipe connectors are accessed from above once a rubber grommet is removed and it makes sense to drop the rear frame out for any welding in there - and it WILL need welding in there.

Check under the rear seat and also down in the heater vents by the windscreen.