1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

Daily update time!  I'll admit, I'm flagging a bit today so I might take tomorrow off from this to recover a bit.  We shall see.  First thing that arrived was a workshop manual donated to the cause by SpottedLaurel, thanking you.  Quite a few of the diagrams and details in here are clearer than the other books I've got so it's a useful additional bit of ammunition in the maintenance and repair arsenal.

35857254602_f322b9190a_b.jpg20170719-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Then it was on to subframe mount replacement.  I very carefully cut out the old mount, being sure not to cut into the subframe itself.  The old piece came off in two parts, mostly cornflakes, it was just about stable enough to use as a template.

35894538471_439b29445a_b.jpg20170719-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

After painting the back of the new plate and the subframe section it mounts to, I bolted it in place and massaged the surrounding remains of the inner wing so it all lined up before welding.  I may have gone a little overkill on the gauge of steel used.  My theory is that this will take longer to rust out.

35638877000_fcf7c8c4b4_b.jpg20170719-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

35894537961_a60a9856e3_b.jpg20170719-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I still haven't found my spotweld cutter bits, I'll likely have to buy some new ones (at which point the old ones will turn up) so I couldn't really do anything about preparing the inner wing for the new pieces to go in.  Instead, I tackled the bulkhead section of the inner wing where it had holed.  This was all fiddly repairs and in a few places I was chasing holes which was a bit annoying.  Once it was all welded up it got the welds flattened back to smarten them but not make them disappear and then some seam sealer.

35638876410_4f08fe3949_b.jpg20170719-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

After that, a coat of zinc primer and gloss black so I can see where I've been.  It was seriously hot in the unit again today and being bundled up in welding gear was just exhausting so that's as far as that got.

35857253182_00b3a85219_b.jpg20170719-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Looking for other jobs I removed the door mirror and fitted the passenger wing mirror.  Not a mirror that photographs particularly well, it has to be said.  They look right on the car in person and it's great that they won't be in my stash taking up space now.

35986746656_291913e908_b.jpg20170719-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

If I'm feeling up to it tomorrow, I'll tackle the front subframe mount and the small bit of inner wing repair near to it.  If I can find my spotweld cutters I'll also unstitch the wing and trumpet remnants ready for the new stuff to go on once it arrives.

post-5335-0-00781800-1500486530_thumb.jpg

Previous owner popped up on ado16.info with this snapshot of the car getting its purple coat after the black paint had been removed. It's a Yamaha purple rather than a Kawasaki shade and the tin of paint is about 15 years old which would explain why the print on the label has completely faded away.  I love stuff like this popping up, I hope more of the many MANY previous owners pop up and add their little bits of history with the car.

The last thing was trying out one of the 13" slot mags in the unit.  They look SO GOOD.  Unfortunately they're the wrong PCD so we'll stick to the steels and chrome hubcaps.

35196146123_4ebc7f3831_b.jpg20170718-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Wrong offset too probably.

WHEEL-001.jpg

The offset for Allegros and Maxis means a slot more bulges outwards as per right wheel. I think they are on the same PCD as a 1100/1300 (4½")

Think it needs to go back to Harvest gold....?

Mind you, Tartan red was always a great colour for a two door 1100 with silver steel wheels and black/silver plates. I painted a 1956 Beetle once is bright red non drip gloss. Sanded it down, masked it up and took ages on it with a good brush - looked very shiny. I did the sides with a roller and lots of paint, and it evened out nicely.

Eddie:  pretty much everything is the wrong offset for an ADO16, they have stupid sticky-out front wheels.  That set, if I could find a pair of proper offset for the front and some with a bit of dish in a matching design for the back I'd be very happy.

Rev:  Harvest Gold is not allowed.  It's staying purple.  Red does suit them but I'm pretty sure after a week of driving around I'm going to get fed up of Fawlty Tower lines so it's best not to encourage people.

Yeah that's a fair point!

I was waiting to hear if you were going to change grilles and sidelights to retrofy it as there are some nice looking MG 1100's around. But it's a great looking car either way. I rather think I want one!

Here's a wheel option you may not have considered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-AUSTIN-MORRIS-LEYLAND-MINI-SPRITE-1100-SPECIAL-EXACTON-ALLOY-WHEELS-X4-/162594001886?hash=item25db5b93de:g:dQIAAOSwKRJZa5Eq

Currently being sold by some geezer not three miles from here so Parky collection service available

post-3538-0-58484400-1500494631_thumb.jpg

/\   10" isn't big enuff   :mrgreen:   .

I do know my dads Maxi 13" steel wheels went on the front of mine . :-D  :-D They bolted on and i drove it around the block ,nose up in the air !! Whether the centre bore was correct , i know not , it was 35 years ago...! . I remember though, they didn't fit the rears , the tyres hit  the radius arms...

With low profiles though and checking centre bore size , 13" does offer a better selection of tyres.. My Mk1 Fiesta is on 12" ...not a lot of choice these days , just trailer tyres and commercial 8 ply.. :-(

Also those are Mini alloys which is a different PCD.  1100 is on 12" and 14" is the biggest you can go, I am told.  13" is a happy 'looks big' sort of size.  I just really want slotmags now I've seen it in person, I have this list of things I want and this car already ticks the Fins box (just), I've not yet ticked off slotmags.

Minilights look alright but Slotmags would be so right on a 72 car

I think this dude has taken it to the next level though and in the process forced me to clear a corner of my imaginary dream garage

http://www.miniguy.com/vehicles/vtec70austinamerica/

post-3538-0-32285100-1500499096_thumb.jpg