1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

Yes please to the trumpet!  If I can get one for less than £90 I'd be a very happy chappy.  I did think rubber matting was a likely option for a base spec, thing is carpet is going to be cheaper to install I reckon.  Limeflower is so much nicer than Harvest Gold, that's a weird colour BLMC got right at least.  Do you know where I might get new or good used indicator/sidelight backing plates from?  Mine are not in great shape at all.

Any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMC-1100-front-side-light-lndicators-13H-6386-/132263128346?hash=item1ecb7f2d1a:g:~eMAAOSw4CFY8S07

Refers to indicators (plural) but I think it's only one. If it's both, then I don't think this is a bad price for NOS parts

Our chums in Spain have a cheaper alternative

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Austin-Morris-Riley-1100-front-light-lenses-and-surround-/201989155781?hash=item2f077debc5:g:5fYAAOSwceNZPB~e

Although bizarrely the parts seem to be in Doncaster. Maybe there is a Playa del South Yorkshire in Spain we don't know about?

First link is what I need, it's the bulb holders that aren't too clever.  They're in the firing line for all the crap from the tyres so it's hardly surprising.  Hadn't thought to add BMC to my searches previously, so cheers for that, it's no the watch list for now :)

Not too bad, between us we have tracked down two brand new units and got part numbers too for further searches!

I take it the originals are past a good rub down, some chemical metal patches and a coat of protective paint?

This popped up in my facebook this morning,

ado16.info has struck motoring gold!

ado16.info has been working hard to help provide a lasting and tangible legacy for the ADO16, the BMC/British Leyland 1100/...1300 range of cars.

We have used crowd funding to raise money to purchase targeted panels and incredibly we have also procured a whole 2-door bodyshell and we also we have the side of a 4-door model.
By establishing a working relationship with Classic Sheetmetal Limited in Birmingham, UK we are now in a position to proudly announce that high quality bespoke repair sections to enable the restoration of any ADO16 are now available to help achieve one of the principle aims of ado16.info – to help keep Britain’s bestselling car of the sixties alive.

Production and despatch of repair panels has already begun; orders can be place by contacting Chris at Classic Sheetmetal:

[email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

+44 (0) 7980 00 23 65

Exclusive to paid-up members of the ado16.info international club is a very generous 10 per cent discount.

If welding is not your forte then Classic Sheetmetal can also offer a body restoration service, so your bespoke panels would be manufactured and actually fitted!

post-4930-0-72308300-1500368891_thumb.jpg

@Parky:  the bolts and nuts have become one and on one unit the bulb holder parts has corroded badly enough to have holed.  I don't think they're going to survive removal when I sort out the rust in that area and are certainly a bit beyond chemical metal patching, unfortunately.

ado16.info have been working quite hard at sorting out panels for the cars while the1100club have been getting everything together to try and get production of Hydralastic cans up and running again.  It's a pretty good time to own one of these cars, there's no many that are having that sort of investment put into them and it'll certainly help with longevity.  I just wish the Princess was getting the same treatment, sadly it's a much smaller and poorer pool of owners there.

Yes please to the trumpet! 

Do you know where I might get new or good used indicator/sidelight backing plates from?  Mine are not in great shape at all.

I managed to get time for a quick rummage this morming.  Pictures below, offside trumpet (non-genuine, made by LMC panels) and one second hand indicator/sidelight unit which appears to be in reasonable condition.  All three studs are still in place, although I'm not sure what the black goo all over the back of it is!  If you're interested I also have a pair of clear indicator lenses (and probably the orange bulbs too) should you wish for a slighly different look.  I did this for a while, along with Cosmic allioys, then decided to return to standard.

Send me a PM if you're interested in any/all and we'll sort something out.  I am a luddite who doesn't own a smartphone (for which I make no apology) and only check the virtual world once or twice a day so please don't be offended if you don't get an instant reply.

post-17876-0-97916400-1500380797_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-96673500-1500380809_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-24481200-1500380818_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-20405400-1500380826_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-86323500-1500380832_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-59850900-1500380840_thumb.jpg

- Obtain and fit correct battery, current one much too large ... (£50ish?) 

I highly recommend a trundle down to your nearest breaker's yard for a batt, and save yourself £30 or £40. At this time of year it should be easy enough to find a good one suitable one for an 1100.

Don't be scared of second hand batteries, they come charged and tested; I've had loads for 10 or 15 quid, and never been sold a dud. 

If we'd have thought ahead, we could have asked Dodgy_Tom for one... but none of us guessed you'd have made the progress you have already - you're doing grand.

I should have got one of these ages ago, this is actually FUN!  Scrapyard batteries are for winners, it's true, I still don't really know where any local breakers are, the current one will do for now, especially since I'm also missing the battery clamp (new ones are easy to get, and cheap).

Underseal removal COMPLETE

35836274382_f14ba16441_b.jpg20170718-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Ended up using a heat gun after trying the usual methods and, once you got the temperature just right, it scraped off like cake batter which was quite satisfying.  I chopped what was left of the old trumpet off and set it aside, just in case.  I couldn't find my spotweld cutter, that's something I'll be using to unstitch the panel for the inner wing repairs.  Found a bit of hidden grot in the three layers of bulkhead, inner wing and trumpet.

35196147753_0d7fcd21fa_b.jpg20170718-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Also found the reason for the A pillar rot is down to a small hole on the inner wing the other side.  The tender bit at the bottom of the inner arch holed too.  Neither of these items are bad, and very easy to repair since access is so good.

35836273632_fe85f308f5_b.jpg20170718-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Was a messy job.  I'll probably be fitting new discs and pads when the welding is done, the ones that are on are servicable but it wouldn't hurt to change them.  Tested the brake lights today and they don't work, this could be a stuck switch or just the fact the braking system is incomplete and has no fluid in it.  I've not looked into what kind of brake switch is fitted, if it's a pressure operated one there's definitely not enough pressure in the system to operate it.

35196146913_e249d6dda0_b.jpg20170718-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

After lots and lots of wire wheel and flap wheel action cleaning off crusty deposits and paint remnants, I had the panel ready enough for welding.  Gave it all a unifying coat of zinc primer so the problem areas are easier to see.  You'll also note the remnants of the old wing have been removed, I just have a few spot welds to cut through to release the old wing flanges before I can fit the new one.  I'll be removing the wing stay to repair it, there's only a little rust damage and it's not a difficult job so it makes sense to clean that up and reuse it rather than buying a new one.

35836273282_36dc1a363a_b.jpg20170718-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

This is the worst of the subframe mounts.  It looks quite scary at first but the construction of this area is fairly simple.  I'll unpick the layers and replace the steel and when this is secure and the subframe bolted back on to it I'll move on to the other subframe mounts.  That way I shouldn't have to drop the subframe if I'm careful.

35196146583_3dc267b3e5_b.jpg20170718-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Had a bit of a fiddle with the controls in the car and the indicator relay woke up!  I've got indicators on one side only at the moment, the other side is still having a nap.

35836273072_1e4b1884ea_b.jpg20170718-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The last thing was trying out one of the 13" slot mags in the unit.  They look SO GOOD.  Unfortunately they're the wrong PCD so we'll stick to the steels and chrome hubcaps.  I'm planning to repaint the steels cream which should look nicer against the purple and chrome.  I'm not a fan of silver wheels.

35196146123_4ebc7f3831_b.jpg20170718-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr