1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

If he bought a Vtec in the morning he would have it running by lunchtime and that would include wiring in an ECU and most probably designing his own custom map for the old girl.

But it may take him till 2pm if he did a rear disk conversion but only if he decided to stop for a hour lunch break.

I want to know how much Vulg charges for an hourly rate with the speed he goes you could have a fully rebuilt car in a day.

Drum brakes on a VTEC would just be silly! Thinking about it is terrifying :(

ADO16s all had disc front brakes from launch.  Having driven dozens of them their braking capabilities (assuming well maintained) are well up to coping with all the factory engine options including the 1300GT.  I'd be interested to see how they would cope with silly power, although once I had would probably pick myself out of the hedge and fit something bigger.

I'm only being fast on this one because I've got everything to do it.  Hopefully this helps folk understand how FRUSTRATING the Renault and the Princess have been because of how slowly I've had to do things on them.  This is the speed I *like* working at, if anything I wish I could weld faster.  Hyacinth would have been a right old war to put right... reckon I'd've given it the old college try, all the same.

Today I'm at home because we have a minor water leak of unknown origin in the house and a plumber is supposed to be turning up (not holding out much hope at this point) to figure out what's going on with that.  In the meantime, that meant I was at a bit of a loose end so I decided to see if I could find those spotweld cutting bits.  They weren't at the front of the garage where I hoped they'd be so I had to move the Princess.  To her credit, the old lump fired up first time with no bother even though she's not been touched in what seems a very long time.  Princess is in limbo at the moment, I'm waiting on a few things resolving to try and get this pipe sorted so I've been busying myself with other stuff instead and putting it out of mind for the short term.  I had put a scrap of linoleum down in the garage so we could see just what was leaking and how much and even at rest the Hydragas is steadily flowing out of the system and making the minor oil leak look a million times worse than it really is.

35656461050_969c864c4c_b.jpg20170720-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I have a very effective filing system on my storage boxes now.  I had a strong suspicion that if the spotweld cutters were anywhere, they'd be in the Whatever box.

35911848461_b3821c87cd_b.jpg20170720-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I was right too!  Found both of them, they're the stubby brass coloured drill bits on the compartment boxes.  I also spent some time sorting through the various old fixings and putting them into the compartment boxes in order of size and type so I don't need to keep rifling through an old ice cream tub with mixed everything in the future.  I need to buy some more of those boxes, they're really useful, and fairly cheap.  As an added bonus, I found two fuel filters I didn't know I had.

35656460530_57cf7bf99c_b.jpg20170720-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Thanks to Beige1100 too who has sorted me out with a trumpet and other bits, I'm looking forward to those arriving so I can finish off that inner wing.  Providing I'm not stuck at home tomorrow I'll get in and remove all those spotwelds I need to at the very least, I'm still hoping to get that inner wing finished by the end of the week.

Hyacinth would have been a right old war to put right... reckon I'd've given it the old college try, all the same.

Yeah, that seems to have been FOAD's impression too, and he clearly did give it a positively Ivy League try.  This is looking like a rather more saveable project, so good luck to you!

Paint the inner wing and the back of the trumpet and only clean back to bare metal where it will be spotwelded on.  Once everything is all welded up I'll go over the seams with seam sealer to prevent moisture creep and internal cavities will get Waxoyl (or similar).  External surfaces will get stonechip, paint and underseal and finally I'll be adding some sort of inner wing guard to reduce the amount of dirt and water thrown up into the inner wing.  It should be enough, I hope.

Hang on, do these actually have something called a "trumpet"?

I thought it was a made up part, like "yeah mate, your transverse girdle sprocket has blown" or "what, that noise? That's just the mingle compensator valve".

Seriously, trumpets? What do they do?

If it's got drum brakes too you're halfway to a ska band.

Hang on, do these actually have something called a "trumpet"?

I thought it was a made up part, like "yeah mate, your transverse girdle sprocket has blown" or "what, that noise? That's just the mingle compensator valve".

Seriously, trumpets? What do they do?

If it's got drum brakes too you're halfway to a ska band.

Sucks teeth.

The turboencabulator's blown and it's taken the left hand side frendle pin assembly with it; it'llcostyer.

I wonder what one of these would be like with the 1275 Turbo lump from a Metro?

Probably hopelessly unreliable like every other metro turbo conversion.

A mate had a turbo'd mini in the 90s. "professional" conversion, worked about 30% of the time.

Not that fast when it did go.

The company that ripped it all out for him had already done several others.

A sorted naturally aspirated A series was much more usable and probably quicker.

late 80s a mates mate turned up at the pub with his "dream" car an MG Metro Turbo.

He took us for a ride and the performance was not astonishing, mind you the poor old thing was 4 up.

Another mate was into RallyCross, his NA a-series was epic by comparison, but then it weighed less than Mrs Thestag's handbag

HTH

enjoying this thread :D