1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

Vulg,apologies if my post was a bit harsh and abrupt, I've been having a shit day having paid £400 having my bike engine rebuilt,and the clutch doesn't work!

Same tyre size as used on my old Reliant Fox,falkens were very good.

What bike is it? There's a variety of things that could be the cause and quite a few are really easy to sort, one of mine needs riding with the clutch in and rear brake applied to free it off when it's been stood a while .

Spent another couple of hours today and feel like I've achieved very little.  Just one of those sorts of jobs I suppose.  On starting to clean up the edges of where I'd made the first cut I found some more problems.  First one being the historic inner sill repair which has rotted out on the weld line.

36450141851_b80a282c21_b.jpg20170815-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The rear floor pan was actually better than expected so that was something.  There's still an awkward bit to chop out all the same.  You can also see the messy unfinished end of the repair that I'd already done to the floor this side a while ago, didn't do a better job as I was expecting to have to cut this out a bit more and was limited by the size of the metal I'd got to put in.

36191256860_99c00cc34b_b.jpg20170815-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

As I was removing the floor pan up to the seam under the pedals, more metal came off.  I reckon I'm going to have to replace this subframe mount completely judging by the state of the metal there.

36419387692_dcaeb7dfec_b.jpg20170815-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The hole got bigger.  The repair is uncomfortably close to the fuel and suspension pipes which I really don't want to have to drop from the car.  I'll see what I'm left with when I've done tidying up.  I can probably weld the new panel in without moving the pipes if I put a sheet of copper or some kevlar cloth or something between the pipes and the new floor as I work.

36191256580_1c7a695fc4_b.jpg20170815-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

That was it for today.  Don't feel like I've achieved very much really but I know this is the slow part of the job.  Putting the panel in is always a lot faster than the prep work.

The talk of wheels, reminds me of probably the main reason I didn't like ADO16s in my youth.

In the late 60's early 70's everyone's mum had a catalogue and usually neighbour's would order things from each other's , so different ones would come in and out of the house. Kay's, Littlewoods, Grattans etc

Only 3 sections held any interest for me ; Toys, Ladies underwear and Car Accessories, this was usually just two pages and included fold up garages, motorcycle helmets and Savage 500 wheeltrims.

There was always a disclaimer next to the trims

" Not suitable for BLMC 1100 and Maxi" !! WTF? The best selling car of most of the 60's dismissed in one line, not the best marketing plan of ever.

What bike is it? There's a variety of things that could be the cause and quite a few are really easy to sort, one of mine needs riding with the clutch in and rear brake applied to free it off when it's been stood a while .

Mutha Thestag had a TR7 like that, only way to free the bastard off after a week of so of inactivity was to get it on the road, warm the engine up, press clutch down, turn starter with it in 2nd gear.

Bang! and the clutch is free

Which one of you sent this?

36630799725_0f2f0229d3_b.jpg20170817-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I like it, and thank you, but there was no giveaway with it as to who sent it and only so many of you have my name and address.

36630799505_96c405c8d2_b.jpg20170817-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36630799145_178136566b_b.jpg20170817-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Prophetic too, as it happens, because my ADO16 is definitely a concern.  Got it as high as I could on axle stands since putting it on the ramp didn't go as well as hoped due to the car's age-related metal issues.  It started as it always does, with piles of rust.  The goal today was to get the front floor pan hole cut out cleanly and the edges prepared for welding in the new pieces.

36630798495_2edba86bbc_b.jpg20170817-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36493000721_be64554d3f_b.jpg20170817-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

There's only a bit of edge cleaning to do now all the rot is chopped out here.  There's a lot of metal to put back in again but thankfully most of that is just the floor pan and then a few fiddly edge patches to tie it all together.  Not too scary then, right?

36493000551_4502783159_b.jpg20170817-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Not too scary at all until I found some filler and fibreglass and gave it a poke and then found the reason for the sill making horrible noises on this side when trying to lift it with the big lift to make life easier.  Turns out the very visible repair inside the car which is nice and solidly attached to the floor and was skimmed with fibreglass resin wasn't so well done on this side.  The pigeon poop welds that should attach the floor to the back of the car don't and the whole lot has a skim of fibreglass over rust, which was all cunningly hidden with what looked like thoroughly presentable underseal.  Finding this rather took the wind out of my sails.

36630797375_978f9e2549_b.jpg20170817-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36493000371_9241f54328_b.jpg20170817-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I was quite upset when I found that after all the work that's been done so far.  Had I known this side of the car was so bad I don't think I would have saved it in all honesty.  However, I've put that much work in and this is all within my abilities to put right that I'm going to do just that.  I'll finish fitting the floor up front first so there's a good amount more strength in the bottom of the car again and then I'll chop out this bit at the back and rebuild it as properly as I can.

I may take a few days away from this, just to recharge a bit.  On the positive side, the other side of the car that's been repaired has been done so far, FAR better and a good jab and bash with tools didn't dislodge anything or find unwanted holes so it's not all bad news.

I know how you feel, ickle hole in floor to inner sill section on the staaag turned out to be 12" long once I cleared out the 24 year old bodgery. Arghhhh done it though. Then thought I would prod the same area on the driver side to be faced with further bodgery fucksticks.

Keep it up though, doing a cracking job on this

Had a bit of a setback today.  I finally got myself to a point where I had free time and headspace to get on with the floor replacement and filling in that massive hole and in the process of cleaning things back, found that a good deal of the intermediate sill panel is completely gone on the driver's side.  Here's what I mean.

36380737450_19af75ee66_b.jpg20170824-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36730557146_aac0aa84e9_b.jpg20170824-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36730557716_2cee30fe45_b.jpg20170824-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The outer sill panel is only attached at the top, there's nothing holding it to the car at the bottom.  There's also rot setting in on the outer sill panel.  The only remedy here really is full sill replacement and I haven't the money or time for that at the moment.  The job I can do is replacing the floor and inner sill portions that need it but before I do that I've still got to address things like the rear subframe mount which isn't actually attached to the car at all because all the bits that hold it on are actually rust and air.

36730557576_0ecb174834_b.jpg20170824-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

This is not what I wanted to discover.  Financially, repairing this makes absolutely no sense.  Emotionally it doesn't make sense either, I'm not as well invested sentimentally in this car as I am with my others.  I know I don't want to scrap it and I know I'll get nothing if I try and sell it so I've decided to mothball the project for the time being.  That way I can save up some money, focus on finishing other projects that are eating my spare time and get myself in a healthy position to deal with these problems.  It will probably be a few months before I pick this up again and I may dip in and out to do some smaller jobs that don't require more than time investing in them, of which there are quite a few.

For now, the little Austin is sat outside huddled for warmth with the other long-termers and eventually I will get around to getting this sorted, or sold on, or whatever.  I'm not going to stress about it.  Instead I'll focus on the few bits and bobs the Princess and Rover need that I've been putting off in favour of trying to get the bodywork done on the Austin.

36730557426_e3b4213f4e_b.jpg20170824-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36730557286_34fbcabba8_b.jpg20170824-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Mike has been very busy in the background with the Churchill pump and giving it lots of lovely new parts and paint.  Just waiting on one fitting arriving in the post before it can be tested.

36380736620_355dccc762_b.jpg20170824-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Finally, the spare dashboard (Morris, I think) that came with the Austin is up for grabs should anyone want it.  I'm not going to use this so make an offer and it could be yours, sale of that can go into the new sill fund for the 1100.

36380736170_a765ecb685_b.jpg20170824-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr