Let's put the worries about tyres and wheels behind us for now, I'm a way off getting those yet and have lots of other jobs to be getting on with, namely yet more welding.
I got a lucky on eBay when I found a selection of headlight buckets, trims and sealed beam lights for £NOTALOT and was the only bidder. I've ended up with a pair of plastic headlight buckets, a spare metal one, several good retaining rings, a couple of spare trim rings, some spare used rubber gaskets and a good sealed beam headlight for less than a pair of brand new plastic buckets. Quite pleased with that. There's even some spare bits of wiring and connectors in there too, should I need any of them.
20170813-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
After getting the fusebox reset, I cracked on with the welding in the boot. This was fiddly and I had to take regular breaks, something near the welded areas was making a lot of smoke that just sort of sat in the boot right where my head needed to be so there was lots of time spent wafting it out of the way. Nothing was on fire, just a lot of heavy smoke from something, probably underseal. I can now call the boot welding completed. I decided not to tackle the inner and outer arch brown lace because that's not structural and can be done without needing to immobilise the car at pretty much any point.
20170813-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
20170813-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
20170813-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
With that all seam sealed and painted I can leave it alone until I'm ready to clean and underseal the car after the sills and floors are done. It's nice to have this crossed off the list finally. I could have done the sill repair that was needed on the passenger side, it's an easy enough job, but I didn't really have that much time to get properly involved so I assessed what was left to do and decided to attack the bad floor pan. It got a bit out of hand.
20170813-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
20170813-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
I'm a bit puzzled about the subframe mount on the heelboard. After knocking off the loose rust flakes I was expecting to find a hole through to the subframe which would then require new metal letting in. However, it looks more likely that someone has patched it from the subframe side without removing the rust. I'm not really sure what to do about this at the moment, I'm considering just undoing the bolts and cleaning it all back to try and find where it's welded and assess from there. It'll be a lot easier to do with no floor in the car, loads of access even with the pedals still fitted.
20170813-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
I do need to take more floor out than I have. The piece that runs under the seat mount/crossmember is rotten and has taken some of this piece with it. I need to remove the rotten floor, repair the crossmember and reinstate the floor in one piece if I can. I think the Mini floor pan I have is just big enough to do the whole floor repair in one go, but it's very close on whether or not it's long enough. Again, this area is going to be a lot easier to repair now the floor is removed, there's much more access to get things into the shape I need them to be.
20170813-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
20170813-09 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
20170813-11 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr
20170813-10 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr