Another day, another update. Today, the inner wing and Mini floor pan arrived. A little later, the throttle cable arrived. Fitting the throttle cable and refitting the choke cable went smoothly and the electrics no longer attempt to earth through those. Also, the car decided it was going to start on the ignition key just fine today without us touching anything. Because ADO16 on that one I reckon. The floor pan is plenty big enough and while it is for the opposite side of a Mini, it'll do just fine for this car. The inner wing only repairs the upper half of the inner wing but again, this is not a problem because that's all I need and it was CHEAP.
I then spend a very, very long time with thinners, brushes and a wire brush in a drill cleaning off the underseal and old paint and loose rust. This took forever and the unit is like an oven today. No horrors unearthed, overall there was more good metal still there than expected. I gave it all a coat of zinc primer so it doesn't flash rust, this is easy to take back when I do the repairs and a good way of temporarily stabilising things since I'm not entirely sure how long this repair is going to take me to complete.
Then I ran out of time. I'm planning to go in tomorrow and finish the clean up on this inner wing. In all honesty, it was simply too hot to be doing welding today, I was sweating cobs just in casual work clothes, there's no way I wanted to be wrapped up in all my welding gear. I reckon by the end of this week I should have this inner wing at least pieced together, if not finished.