1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

hmm... I still have the PYE speaker cases from the Princess, they're not too big so they could live on the parcel shelf and hide modern stuff in plain sight while being totally removable.  As you say, a wire runing from the back where the amp is to the front would be  a tidy solution and the design of the dash is such that it would be easy to have a holder for the player there that could be easily removed.

The ease that this engine started up is a credit to the health you kept it in too, Rich.  While you're here, did this ever have adjusters on the seat base to move the seat back and forth while you guys had it?

It's done now so it doesn't matter really.  The section I replaced does have some unique ADO16 lines but the headlight mounting section itself is shared which pretty much every British 7" headlight equipped car, including Mini and MGB.  That makes replacement bowls, headlights, fitting rings, etc. a lot easier to get hold of at least.  Luckily I had enough to make it work and on the other side I'll be swapping the entire panel so it's not a repair I'll be doing again.  When/if it needs repairing in the future I'll save up and stick a new wing on.

post-5335-0-80829100-1500070282_thumb.jpg

I reckon these will be a better solution.  The trouble with putting speakers in the rear door cards is the weight of them wrecks the cards and the magnets try and pull them in to the wings, that's why the trims needed flattening.  Since the parcel shelf is pretty much useless for anything else, I reckon it makes sense to put the speakers up there.  No need to drill any holes and the wires can be fed under the trims so they're hidden without damaging anything.

My family had more of these than any other car - BYD471J (I think) - a tidy dark green four door with tan trim was my dad's daily for some years and SHU668G, a rusty white shooting brake with black interior was my mum's - also what me and my sister learnt to drive in. My brother had a flat plum coloured four door, in between a grey A35 (his first car) and two minis. So I have a massive soft spot for all ADO16s.

Heroic work

Carry on!

No need to drill any holes and the wires can be fed under the trims so they're hidden without damaging anything.

Personally I would bolt them down. It's unlikely you'll get into a crash but I wouldn't want to be the one taking a speaker to the back of the head, even in what you might consider a low speed incident. I think this is something a lot of people don't think about. The crash might not kill you but something smashing you in the head at a rate of noughts could (including our beloved dogs!).

^ Liked for: the voice of reason there. Something I pay much more attention to these days after seeing stuff zoom past me and smash into the dashboard with frightening violence is - what is back there that can kill me? And what do I need to do to strap it down?

Centre console with a speaker either side and a head unit would be a good option. Or a head unit with just a single speaker beneath. I don't think any ADO16's had a centre console fitted but there are loads of options around for Minis and possibly an MGB part could be adapted to fit.

Otherwise it could be a good opportunity to design something bespoke to make out of wood and cover in an interesting fabric! It has the advantage of giving you toonz on demand but is also completely removable for originality purposes.

Here's an early MGB dash which as a single speaker console, this would be the sort of look I would consider but with the head unit directly below the speaker. Should be fairly simple to make something if you have some time

post-3538-0-75913100-1500098820_thumb.jpg

Certainly Wilts by 1978, my GS was VTC618T

DPN is Brighton.

Top 40 for May 1972: Now you know what to graft onto a C90 cassette.  :-D

1. T Rex Metal Guru    

2. Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Band Amazing Grace    

3. David Cassidy Could It Be Forever    

4. Vicky Leandros Come What May    

5. Elton John Rocket Man    

6. Drifters At The Club / Saturday Night At The Movies    

7. Johnny Cash & The Evangel Temple Choir A Thing Called Love   

8. Rolling Stones Tumbling Dice    

9. Hurricane Smith Oh Babe What Would You Say    

10. Marmalade Radancer    

11. Lindisfarne Lady Eleanor    

12. Leeds United FC Leeds United    

13. Don McLean Vincent    

14. Jo Jo Gunne Run Run Run    

15. Temptations Take A Look Around    

16. Chiffons Sweet Talking Guy    

17. Procol Harum A Whiter Shade Of Pale    

18. Ringo Starr Back Off Boogaloo    

19. Paul Simon Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard    

20. Johnny Nash Stir It Up    

21. Moody Blues Isn't Life Strange    

22. Sly & The Family Stone Runnin' Away    

23. New World Sister Jane    

24. Tyrannosaurus Rex Debora / One Inch Rock    

25. Move California Man    

26. Nilsson Without You    

27. Mungo Jerry Open Up   

28. Tom Jones Young New Mexican Puppeteer    

29. Diana Ross Doobedood'Ndoobe Doobedood'Ndoobe   

30. Donnie Elbert Little Piece Of Leather    

31. Daniel Boone Beautiful Sunday    

32. Chicory Tip What's Your Name    

33. Jerry Lee Lewis Chantilly Lace    

34. Elvis Presley Until It's Time For You To Go   

35. Wings Mary Had A Little Lamb    

36. Neil Diamond Song Sung Blue    

37. Michael Jackson Rockin' Robin    

38. Bread Everything I Own    

39. Angelettes Don't Let Him Touch You    

40. New Seekers Beg, Steal Or Borrow

Could try modifying something "period" like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-Mk3-4-Centre-Console-Kit-Car-Classic-Car-/152621711720?hash=item2388f68168:g:y5QAAOSw1BlZSWKe

Wrong car and all but just look at the seventies detailing on it! This one on the other hand is old and knackered but will probably clean up well AND includes fag lighter FTW

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MGB-GT-COUPE-1979-CENTRE-CONSOLE-CIGARETTE-FAG-LIGHTER-TRIM-SURROUND-/252975677422?hash=item3ae6867fee:g:aroAAOSwAPVZNXq5

With a box built around that it's a potential basis and not too expensive

Otherwise for minimal costs, some battery powered travel speakers Velcro'd under the dash will probably provide enough "oomph" when connected to a MP3 player or phone. Those things are cheap as chips and involve no fabrication or wiring if you are after a workable solution for minimal effort.

I think the centre console thing is a good idea but not right here, it's a bit too posh as an addition.  If I installed the full wooden dash then it would work quite nicely, I'd just have to posh up the rest of the car a bit to match.  Good food for thought, I have options I hadn't considered now so a solution will be gettable.

Mally:  Is he using logic and reason to prevent him from getting a project, or something?

You're not wrong there, Mally.  The 4 door isn't much use to me, there's not enough on it that's better than what I've already got to make it worth the cost and hassle to acquire.  Thanks for the tip-off though.  Just sorting through the pictures and nursing my savaged arm.  I probably won't get tetanus or anything.

Today I was going to have a go at finishing that wing.  Thing is, it's all fiddly stuff and I wanted to do something simpler and bigger today.  Fortunately, the floor moves independently of the car so that's a big simple job to put right.  Probably.  First job, knock out as much rust as you can.

35103029614_8a291d3792_b.jpg20170715-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Also discover the extent of the fibreglass inside the car.  This lump was nearly as big as my hand.

35554553210_b99c900e64_b.jpg20170715-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I won't be doing the front floor today as my panel hasn't arrived yet, it's in transit still. The bashing of the sill did knock off even more of the floor pan.

35554552910_c89c18fec0_b.jpg20170715-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

This is what I'm left with after all that.  At the back corner there is a substantial patch repair, the rot has been cut out in the floor and it is fitted fairly well but fibreglass was used as a seam sealer instead of, you know, seam sealer.  Perhaps it's just a really old repair, seam sealer wasn't always so readily known as a repair thing.  Regardless, that repair at the back is *really* solid so I've left it alone.  I checked out the other floor and sill repairs and those too are done quite well with the rot cut out before the panels were added, they just need some finishing work really.

35554552670_04d4de8c1a_b.jpg20170715-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

35554550440_129d32bf3a_b.jpg20170715-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Next job is to clean back the edges and see just how far the rot goes.  Surprisingly, the rot creep wasn't actually as extensive as feared.  I need to get in at the corner and clean up that repair and do a bit more work on the inner sill piece just to finish it all off.

35103029044_ee81bb134d_b.jpg20170715-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

35554552220_15df7f7f5e_b.jpg20170715-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Scary bit next.  Angle grinder time!

35554551930_77a3be5685_b.jpg20170715-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Yikes.  That's a BIG hole.  I only just had enough spare steel to make a patch for that after moving my cardboard template around on it a few times to be sure.

35554551680_b26c20653a_b.jpg20170715-09 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

35810731921_cda1884a92_b.jpg20170715-10 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

After some more cleaning and tidying of edges I could set to on the welding.  I'm overlap welding this rather than butt welding.  It's not going to be a pretty repair but it will be strong and weather proof once its done.  Originality is not important.  The welding went quite well, access was easy and apart from a couple of awkard poses required because of how small the car is, it didn't give me any real problems.  This is part way through the welding, I just got on with it rather than taking pictures at every stage.

35554551530_ba22501588_b.jpg20170715-11 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I was also sure to check for penetration of the welds from the other side and make sure I wasn't damaging the wiring loom that runs through this sill.  As I understand it there should be a closing panel between the outer sill and the point the inner sill meets the floor.  It's missing completely on both sides.  The intermediate sill isn't too bad, there's a couple of points that could do with patches, but nothing more than 2" or so square.

35554551340_ec541b2862_b.jpg20170715-12 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Welding completed and dressed back I seam sealered it all... then remembered I needed to make a new seat rest strengthener plate since the old one was quite crusty.  It's fun welding in the same area as fresh seam sealer, you get lots of pretty flames and noxious smoke.  I also noticed after putting everything away today that I missed one puddle weld, I'll catch that when I do the next round of welding.

35554551240_a0da57ce80_b.jpg20170715-13 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

35103027754_bffef00c36_b.jpg20170715-14 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

There's more welding to do on the floors and inner sills, but it's only small pieces now.  The welding I did today has returned the strength to the floor so it doesn't flex alarmingly now.  I'm really pleased I got this dealt with so quickly.  The other things I was doing today was a little interior work.  Here's a picture of the bottom of the driver's seat, if anyone has the missing bits, please do shout up as I'd like to be able to adjust the seat without unbolting it each time.

35554550800_99cb252aa1_b.jpg20170715-15 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I got the contact adhesive out for the repairs to the rear door cards.  To make sure everything stuck really well, I stacked some old brake discs on them.  Then put them back in the car along with the seats.  All this will come out again when I finish the floor welding but I can't do any of that until the new panels arrive so I'll move on to the boot floor next probably and just keep everything in its place in the meantime so I don't lose any of it.

35103027414_1853f21be1_b.jpg20170715-16 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

35554550460_d8f1b3b389_b.jpg20170715-17 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

35902076876_3a94c82a6b_b.jpg20170715-18 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I didn't set anything on fire (apart from seam sealer) today.  I'm practically a professional fabricator at this point :P

I might be looking at this wrongly, but is there actually anything missing from the seat adjuster?

As I remember the brk with the long slot in is the adjustment. Other side is just a hinge.

Should be some sort of hook on the floor to catch the back and stop it lifting I think.

I presume you've got the brks that fasten through the front hole and bolt to the boxed cross member.

Those  brks may have 2 or 3 holes in to re position the front hinge bolt fore and aft.

I should have taken a shot of the floor side of it.  Basically, there's two L shaped brackets that bolt to the crossmember under the seat and that have three or four adjustment point holes in them.  The seat then just bolts directly into them, there's no release lever at all.  It looks like there should be a bar that goes between everything so you can move the seat, but there isn't.  There's also no catch at the back to keep the seat on the floor so I wonder if the seat tips up under heaving braking, which could be fun.

I thought the brk with the slot in was just bent over at the front and that was it.

Press the bent bit, shove with your back let go and drop in the next slot.

Regarding tilting seats, after a certain year they had to be secured for MOT, but I don't know when.