1972 Austin 1100 - SOLD

vulgalour

Added into the mix is the very real possibility of new parts being shit too.  It's great trying to resolve issues like this because you have no idea what's wrong exactly until you fix it.  Still, we're in the right sort of area and if I can get away without replacing the MC that would be good.  Hose is still my hope as a fix, mainly because of cost.

I shouldn't do this but I've been watching this for a while and isn't this up in your neck of the woods? Looking at the MOT history it isn't mint but possibly a better base to start from? It's been on for quite a few months and steadily reduced so may be open for an offer...

s-l1600.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292012597030

I shouldn't do this but I've been watching this for a while and isn't this up in your neck of the woods? Looking at the MOT history it isn't mint but possibly a better base to start from? It's been on for quite a few months and steadily reduced so may be open for an offer...

Bar the silly price... WANT!

Tartan red? Yes.

Tan interior? Yes.

1964?

Who gives a monkeys about front seat belts? No me.

I never found out what happened to mine after I sold it to some bloke in Greenock.

13783796615_a5a830eb78_z.jpg

AUSTIN MORRIS 1100 ABD 861D, POLWARTH SEPT 1992 [92/054] NG by Steven S, on Flickr

Road legal Mk1s are not exactly ten a penny and the asking price is pretty reasonable, even if it turns out to be crumbly cornflakes underneath.  When you get an ADO16 it seems you expect to have to replace the floors, arches and sills as standard unless you're paying £6k+, and even then you usually end up having to.

Even if the money were there - it's not - for me to get a better starting point there's not really any point.  I've done the worst of the repair work on the car and now I'm into normal ADO16 maintenance type welding, the sort of stuff that's left is expected of just about any model you'd buy.  Purchase cost of this car was the £100 for Joe to help us bring it home with the diesel jellybean.  I can't go out and get a better one for the same money and spending more money might even put me back where I am now. Makes loads more sense to just plug away at this one, especially since engine and suspension are in good shape.

To put things into perspective, I've never spent as much as £1000 on any car ever.  I think the most I've ever spent was buying the Princess at £450.  I am not a rich man.

Even if the money were there - it's not - for me to get a better starting point there's not really any point. I've done the worst of the repair work on the car and now I'm into normal ADO16 maintenance type welding, the sort of stuff that's left is expected of just about any model you'd buy. Purchase cost of this car was the £100 for Joe to help us bring it home with the diesel jellybean. I can't go out and get a better one for the same money and spending more money might even put me back where I am now. Makes loads more sense to just plug away at this one, especially since engine and suspension are in good shape.

and you've saved/saving a ADO16 that would likely have gone to the scrapper.

• 2 weeks later...

s-l1600.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292012597030

Down to £1800 now. I reckon he'd take a offer on it for a quick sale, if someone on here really wanted it. I'd be tempted for a nose if it wasn't 8hrs drive away.

Poor little Austin under its blanket of snow!  Looking forward to getting started on this again next year, shan't have any time to do anything with it this year now.

38101420735_82359a874d_b.jpg20171211-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Seeing the snow on the hubcaps really emphasises the ridiculous offset on the front wheels.

24123390067_31739ee982_b.jpg20171211-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Bar the silly price... WANT!

Tartan red? Yes.

Tan interior? Yes.

1964?

Who gives a monkeys about front seat belts? No me.

I never found out what happened to mine after I sold it to some bloke in Greenock.

13783796615_a5a830eb78_z.jpg

AUSTIN MORRIS 1100 ABD 861D, POLWARTH SEPT 1992 [92/054] NG by Steven S, on Flickr

I lived in Temple Park crescent for a while. Loved it there.

• 5 weeks later...

A new year and a little update for you on the future of this little purple blighter.

I've a house move happening this year, all being well, and that means the fate of the 1100 needs to be decided upon.  I didn't particularly want to do all the work just to sell it and wasn't sure if I wanted to take it with me when I move either.  Scrapping most definitely not an option.  Parting with it, sadly, is.  It's the age old problem for me of the driving position being monstrously unsuitable for my back, at best I'm only going to manage 30 miles in this car before being in pain so it can't stay with me.

What to do?

Well, I had a natter with Mike and we looked at his ever expanding collection and what things were worth what and decided on a plan.  I would swap the 1100 for one of the cars Mike owns BUT the 1100 needs to be welded up and the clutch problem sorted out to afford it.  Basically, I'm using the 1100 as part exchange and making up the shortfall with my labour on putting it right.  I get a car I am comfortable in and like, Mike gets a car he likes and if he needs to can sell on easily - because 1100s do seem to be a super easy sell if you're realistic about the price - and everyone is happy.

I hope.

This plan rolls into action in February when I'll be able to start  on the welding.  I've done the worst of the work already when the front corner got rebuilt, now it's mostly sticking ready-made panels on so by April/May it should be mostly solid (don't hold me to that!).  What I'm not going to divulge yet is what I'm swapping the 1100 for because it relies entirely on me getting this work done first and the swap won't happen at all if I can't.  What I can say is that the vehicle in question is a little on the surprising side.

Interesting to see where that was filmed:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5810134,-0.3090769,3a,75y,24.28h,76.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spTd1h6C3p9oPuDysp6amfw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Being its now 2018, naturally there are bollards on the pavement now. Going by the distinctive kink it, its nice to see that the tree looks to be exactly the same one though.

I can tell you it's not a Skoda  swap because Mike doesn't have a Skoda, though I wouldn't say no to a rear engined one.

SiC:  Offset pedals/steering/seat.  Perennial problem for me, the Xantia suffered from this too and spoiled what was otherwise a great car.  If the seat and controls are offset in a particular way it means I have to sit twisted/leaning and that puts strain on bits of my back that really don't like it.  A tiny bit of offset is okay, but 1100, Mini, Metro and Rolls Royce Camargue levels of it are just too much.

Interesting to see where that was filmed:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5810134,-0.3090769,3a,75y,24.28h,76.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spTd1h6C3p9oPuDysp6amfw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Being its now 2018, naturally there are bollards on the pavement now. ....

Probably put there to stop motorists recreating that particular scene  :mrgreen:

I was always told Rhyl has no purpose.  Well, Rhyl is where my pair of NOS outer sills are coming from for the 1100 for the princely sum of £97.20 delivered.  That just leaves me with the intermediate panels to acquire (£60 from Earlpart) or make from flat sheet steel to have all the metal the 1100 needs.  Happy days.