Shifty McShift Face - the automatic gear-stick celebration thread (potential for Junkman approval?)

rantingYoof

Guest Hooli

Flappy paddles are useful to demand another gear if it's being troublesome ... as you've found. ;)

TBH since curing the fluid leak & putting some back in it, it's never needed that much interference.

I bloody love automatics, and my faves have to be Jags I guess for sheer class, and absolute pet peeves are gearshifts encased in a leather (or faux) gaiter - no need, they just attract muck and confuse me from a distance!

My old Daimler XJ40 with walnut veneer knob was total class, previous XJ6 series was most excellent also, sorry I never had any pics of it now :(

phonepics272.jpg

Goddammit I miss that car :(

Those push buttons are the right idea. Anyone who's ever had an auto puts it in 2nd the first day they get it to see what happens then spends the rest of the time with it in Drive. It's a massive waste of cabin space.

Aston Martin Vanquish gear selector buttons. Very boring. Best bit is the great noises it makes when you press the start button. You can tell some engineer dedicated many years of his life to get that noise just right.

post-20071-0-56038200-1499378978_thumb.jpg

I like the layout of the AP gearboxes found attached to the BL A-series and E-series.

When they first appeared in the Mini 1965 it was something like this R N 1 2 3 4 D:

ado16his14.jpg

Later in the Metro it was something like this P R N 1 2 3 D:

post-19900-0-19354600-1499381868_thumb.jpg

The Allegro and Maxi had a different handle, but the order was the same: P R N 1 2 3 D

From memory, I think it freehwheeled in some gears, but not others.

As I've mentioned previously, I'm currently in MotherYoofs 2008 Astra 1.8 VVTi with its wonderful 4spd automatic illustrated thusly:

post-19970-0-58763100-1499411605_thumb.jpg

Now, I maintain putting the 140hp 1.8 into the Astra was a great decision m9, but as you can see with no overdrive/kick-down/SPORT button or anything getting it to kickdown basically requires stern verbal correspondence coupled with brisk movements of the right foot.

While a bit awkward, you can obviously put it in 2nd or 3rd yourself, and the acceleration is astonishingly brisk and it tends to be joined by a rather marvellous noise for a smallish 4 pot.

However, this engine+gearbox combo combined with an annual mileage of around 800 (although it's barely moved this year) and an average journey length of around 2 miles means fuel consumption in this particular model is, well...

post-19970-0-94244800-1499411814_thumb.jpg

I have got 43 out of it on a longish run. I imagine the manual is a bit better on this front. :)

The automatic 4WD shifter on my Dad's Pajero (Shogun) SUCKS

2015-Mitsubishi-Pajero-Exceed-gear-lever

(Image shamelessly stolen from the internet)

It is so unresponsive and it is very hard to find the actual positions, give me a good-old-fashioned transfer box any day.

In regards to the love it or loath it Jaguar "T" stick, I love it.

I've owned loads and genuinely can't understand why anyone would deliberately buy manual now.

I think I'm slowly coming round to that conclusion, most of the cars I've owned recently especially the XM and v70 have left me thinking "this car would be ace as an auto"

As I get older I'm shaking the macho men drive manuals mindset, I've the motorbike to feel all manly on.

I think when it's time to shift the XM on I'll look at an XJ6 (X300)

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I have mainly been driving this auto all week

4ee3143f3dc34fa193e87eb3a97fcda0.jpg

It's all electrical obvs, but when it won't do what you want it to do, I yank it like it's mechanical expecting something to happen then your realise, or it tells you on the dash what your doing wrong, you correct your error and it does what you want.

8 speed zf attached to this.

5c6ca776e9ac5b5f754e0661c277539a.jpg

I think the neighbours think I am selling dope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk