Rover the moon! Now with added for-sale-ness £250 - Essex

pandamonium

Guest Lord Sward

I once took one from Bordeaux to Newcastle 3-up, in one hit using the Hover Craft to cross the channel. At one point mpg dropped to 16mpg as it covered a stretch of toll road at just over 100mph for 45 mins - they're very short geared, but better than twin cam versions.  Otherwise mpg was fair. The later catalyst equipped cars lost power and torque, but reliability was still excellent as the cat was properly engineered to different compression ratios.

Ignition amplifiers fail on these, but otherwise they're faultless. 

I could talk all day about D-series engined Rover R8s.

Hmm, haven't heard (or experienced) much positive about manual D series, found them to be a bit dull and uninspiring, sucks all the fun out of the car. You make it sound similar to the auto though which is interesting.

Gearing is indeed short - they're a hoot around town but slightly noisy on the motorway as you'll be doing 3k+ rpm.

Itll go forever and be a great car though - just give it a standard level of maintenance. With yours being manual you don't even have to worry about regular ATF changes!

Guest Lord Sward

With yours being manual you don't even have to worry about regular ATF changes!

You really should be changing the manual gearbox oil though; the bearings grumble if you don't.  Changing the oil is dead easy and it only needs 10w/40 semi synthetic.

Anyone who thinks this car isn't fun, hasn't been driving it properly. I thought it was sedate and smooth until I learnt the joy of mashing my foot to the floor, and letting the engine hit its sweet spot around 4500rpm.

I don't do it a lot, as I'm old and sensible*, but I do dispute that the car isn't fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...