Lazy bloke does work.........S Type Jag

alf892

Earlier this year I bought this to use as a daily.........

post-3917-0-36709700-1498723978_thumb.jpg

One owner and nice history but came with a really shitty set of Chinese tyres.

I put it straight into use and after a couple of weeks it rewarded me with it's first FTP when the top hose....well gallery really.......exploded. Common fault apparently. New part was just over £100.

I gave it a look over come MoT time in April and it went straight through so I decided to invest in a set of tyres and getting the tracking done. At the time I had plenty to do with the truck and Rover.

It has always had a slight noise.........like wheel bearing or diff.....but I had a look and couldn't trace it so decided to leave it to develop a bit. Over about 5000 miles it got gradually worse so last weekend I finally got around to having another look and found the o/s/f wheel bearing was noisey. Local factor seemed a bit dear so I hit ebay where they were half the price but all no name jobs......so back to the factor and paid me £100 for SKF.

£100 for a fecking wheel bearing!!! Actually not a wheel bearing but a whole hub.

Last night I thought I'd just pop it on. Not sure if anyone is interested in this kind of content but I've got nothing else to say!

Removed caliper and carrier. Held on by nasty small headed bolts.......

post-3917-0-10512300-1498724014_thumb.jpg

The wiring for the abs sensor disappeared behind the arch liner but managed to get my hand in and release it. By now I'm thinking piece of cake this......gonna be done is 20 mins tops.

I then undid the bolts holding the hub on...........to find it was solid. Belted fuck out of it......nothing.

post-3917-0-65350700-1498724069_thumb.jpg

So got bigger hammer......and a bit of heat

post-3917-0-78580500-1498724036_thumb.jpg

Success

post-3917-0-71359700-1498724090_thumb.jpg

post-3917-0-78138300-1498724121_thumb.jpg

Reassembly was a reversal of the removal procedure...........and because it had taken me nearly and hour and a fucking half to do I didn't take any pics apart from this. And then only because I nearly forgot to put it on. It was held on with pop rivets! Bloody Yank build quality right there. Spent a bit of time cleaning the mating face of the disc in case it didn't sit in exactly the same place.

post-3917-0-33988300-1498724486_thumb.jpg

Car is now delightful drive..........and I'm just waiting to see how it will consume it's next hundred quid

Keep it coming Alf, love this kinda stuff, nice to see cars being fixed and improved.

I never take pics while doing jobs on the car because I forget to stop and take them, when I actually get my arse into gear and do anything I get so carried away it just gets done.

• 7 months later...

Well I've had this just over a year now. Done quite a few milles........and used LOADS of fuel.

Had to fit a set of plugs in December........bit of an arise of a job as you have to take the inlet manifold off. Not hard but all the time you are thinking 'what really...just to change the fecking plugs'. Turned into a day job as I broke quite a few wires off the back as I didn't know quite how bloody short they were. Oh...and a broken bolt because some twat had left the nice plastic collar off.

MoT looms so I've been thinking of giving it a check over and then then Thursday morning there was a nasty grinding on application of the brakes. So I ordered discs and pads for today.

First thing was it has an electric handbrake which goes on each time you turn it off in park. To over come this I switched it off in neutral......but you still can't take the key out.

I bought this on Amazon for 17 quid.......I've avoided buying one for years but this time I just wanted to avoid the faff.

post-3917-0-83294700-1519498451_thumb.jpg

Great bit of kit in fact....the shaft is magnetic so hold the adaptor head nicely

post-3917-0-52558300-1519498525_thumb.jpg

Easy enough to get apart.....I've had my money's worth out of the inner pad at least but no meaningful damage to disc so it is just getting pads.

post-3917-0-18605600-1519498588_thumb.jpg

Then found this bugger was seized solid. Cured with tea and patience.....left it to soak while I had a cuppa.

post-3917-0-20648000-1519498697_thumb.jpg

Put it all back together and moved onto the other side. This turned out to be a bugger.....guide pins were solid so I took the carrier off before something nasty happened. No pics at this point because got Anger. Carrier bolts also very very tight...thought one was going to shear. Much easier to sort guide pins on bench though.

all reassembled and I hopped in to operate the handbrake a few times only to find it totally dead....not even enough juice to operate the locking. I had to google to find out how to get the boot open to attach jump pack. Fired it up and faced bing bong bingo and battery light on. Again fixed with tea.

Verdict...not hard but not fun and I was supposed to start my winter jobs on the Chevy today.....too bloody late as usual.post-3917-0-08475100-1519498837_thumb.jpg