Cheese

Joloke

Rover 75 tourer all day long.

Petrol or Diesel (if you are feeling brave, dependant on how long you plan on keeping the car)

My advise would be to keep an open mind. Best cars I've ever had, were just found when searching not looking for anything in particular.

Needed to get the wife an auto, looking for options but not really got mind made up on anything.

Found a Y reg 1.6 Auto, one giffer owner from new with 25K on the clock, full service history.

Had this a couple of years and its been fantastic.

AngryDicky's dad's Rover 600.

Otherwise, Pug maybe?  307/406/407 should all cover your needs.  Don't be afraid to go left-field either: my Chevrolet (Daewoo) Tacuma is a 2.0 petrol auto, 5 door hatch, and we find it splendid.  We must do, we've had it almost 4 years now!  Be warned though: it attracts a heck of a tax bracket.  We've only still got it because we get free tax.  But with a bit of looking around, you might find something that suits you by Hyundai or Suzuki.

Good luck!

Peugeot 205 1.6i auto.  Does most things compliantly except cooking omelets.  Great fun on twisty roads, easy parkings, 1st generation injection so simples and reliables, keep up with traffic and sooper brakes. Cheepy parts, cheepy runnings. Fold down back seats to transport cement mixer.  Borrow one for an afternoon if you have never tried one before.

Rover R8 216GSi/SLi is your best bet. Way more common than the 400, easy to find with low miles, comfy, practical, exactly the size you're looking for, blah blah blah. Just buy one that's been used and not laid up as lack of use tends to kill the head gasket on the D series.

Nice enough equipment, you get typical 90s Honda fare of electric heated mirrors, front windows and sunroof, no air con though, and leather is uncommon on 216s - they pretty much all have velour.

Price range is £200-700, the arse end of that being eBay bargain, the top being dealers on Auto Trader.

Taxi Paul has one for sale for £240, and there always seems to be one on eBay/Gumtree/AT/C&C.

Have you considered Volvo's?

The older ones are can be had cheaply now and they offer a huge amount of car for the money. The older ones are also built much better than many competitors products and they're well known for reliability and having long lives.

The 850, S/V70 are very nice cars, they come in various specs from peasant to luxury and have engines starting at 2.0 petrol.

Go a bit older and you can pick up a 940, which is even better being rear wheel drive with simpler mechanical bits. Again, these are superb cars, very well made and reliable with engines of 2.0 or 2.3 litres. Again, loads of choices for luxuries and equipment levels.

A bit older still gets you a 240 or 740 which are essentially the same as the 940 but with a more 'classic' look and feel to them.

All of the above cars are criminally undervalued at the moment as they are great cars that can do the daily drive all year round without hassle. they're lovely to drive too, insane levels of money went into the development of them. The seats and driving positions are excellent too.

I've been using old Volvo's as daily drivers for years and even now there's nothing better!

The only down side to them is the better engines are always the bigger ones which are just above what you were looking at and the fuel economy isn't that good, especially on the autos!

I would have thought a first generation Focus 2.0 auto would fit the bill, nice size, millions about, spares should be cheap, they are apparently reliable and supposedly nice to drive (although I've never driven one.)

Find a lovely one and it might have reached the bottom of the curve depreciation wise.

I'd go a bit bigger and get a 2.2 Camry, wafty ride frugal-ish engines and top quality engineering. It's a little bigger than you want but not by much.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612200732428?postcode=nn84sa&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&model=CAMRY&make=TOYOTA&radius=1500&page=1

Failing that follow BorniteIdentity's lead and look at an Avensis.